strange NEC CD-RW drive problem

Old August 3rd 04, 02:34 PM
Skeleton Man

BTW, my old CDRW was doing everything you described -- right down to the
variable self identification to the system -- e.g., your NEC's being
identified with different characters -- 1.23 or 2.0 I think you posted

above
in this thread. In my case, sometimes it showed up in the BIOS, sometimes
not, and sometimes it showed up in Windows ("properties") with parts of its
description mangled or missing. So, presently, I'm betting a new CDRW

will
solve your problem -- definitely do post back. I'd like to know how it
turns out.

I've seen this with several old cd drives.. the exact problem as described
in this thread (works fine warm boot, intermittent failure cold).. last one
I saw I think was even an NEC.. something like an old 24x..

Regards,
Chris

Old August 4th 04, 04:57 AM
Mike Holder

Well, I've done the next round of experiments, and I'm still at
a loss. Based on suggestions from this thread (and other places),
I tried the following:

1. Switched the IDE data cable to CD-RW drive. Result: no
change - CD-RW drive still fails on power up even with
a different cable.
2. Disconnected 2nd HDD (to see if a power issue). Result:
no change - CD-RW drive still fails on power up.
3. Disconnected IDE data cable to CD-RW. Result: CD-RW drive
comes up OK on power up (LED blinks twice then goes out,
open/close button functions properly). (Reconnecting IDE
data cable causes CD-RW to fail on (powerup) reboot.)

I think these rule out a faulty IDE cable and possible power issues.
I was hoping the CD-RW drive would fail (blinking LED, open/close
button not working) on #3, and that would pretty much indict
the drive. However, since the drive _seemed_ to work when the
IDE data cable was detached, it's looking more like a IDE
controller (motherboard) problem. I suppose it could be a
connector problem on either the motherboard or the drive (but
that doesn't seem too likely).

Now that things are put back together, the symptoms have changed
somewhat. Now the drive never works, even after restarts (warm).
Restarts used to make the CD-RW drive work OK.

So, two further questions:
1. Does it still look like a CD-RW drive problem? (I.e., should
I just go out and buy a new one?)
2. I'm still curious as to why any peripheral (CD-RW or otherwise)
would ever report different PNP Device IDs (part of which is
what the BIOS is displaying - the "_NEC NR-7700A" when things
work or the "NEC CDROM DRIVE: IDE" when things fail) and/or
firmware versions (the "1.23" when things work or the "2.0"
when things fail. Anybody have any insight into this? A
couple of postings in this thread confirmed seeing similar
identification discrepancies, but it still seems strange that
a peripheral's firmware would ever report two different values
for its identity.

Thanks again for everybody's suggestions.

Mike Holder

Old August 4th 04, 01:52 PM
Skeleton Man

I was hoping the CD-RW drive would fail (blinking LED, open/close
button not working) on #3, and that would pretty much indict
the drive. However, since the drive _seemed_ to work when the
IDE data cable was detached, it's looking more like a IDE
controller (motherboard) problem.

99% certain it's the drive.. as I posted previously, I have seen the exact
symptoms you describe with other drives... right down to the name/revision
changing when it fails..

Just because it doesn't flash when you unplug the IDE cable, doesn't mean
much. I've seen that too.. you can still apply power to it and eject the
tray, nomatter how screwed it is..

I've seen this problem mainly on just standard cd-roms, though I've had it
occur once with a cd-rw..

Regards,
Chris

Old August 6th 04, 10:39 PM
Mike Holder

Well, here's the latest on this problem.

I called up Gateway Tech Support and talked to them a little
while and apparently convinced them that it was the CD-RW drive.
(The experiments I did based on suggestions from this newsgroup
helped.) So, in 7-8 business days, I should be receiving a
new drive. (I'd hoped for a brand new 52x/24x/52x (or so) drive,
but they're just sending the same old NEC NR-7700A out.)

Thanks, everybody, for the suggestions, ideas, etc. I'll post
when I get the drive and get it installed. Hopefully, it'll
be a success story.

--
Mike Holder

Old August 13th 04, 09:18 PM
Mike Holder

Mike Holder wrote:
Well, here's the latest on this problem.

I called up Gateway Tech Support and talked to them a little
while and apparently convinced them that it was the CD-RW drive.
(The experiments I did based on suggestions from this newsgroup
helped.) So, in 7-8 business days, I should be receiving a
new drive. (I'd hoped for a brand new 52x/24x/52x (or so) drive,
but they're just sending the same old NEC NR-7700A out.)

Well, Gateway sent the replacement CDRW drive via UPS and it
arrived yesterday (i.e., 4 business days after I called them).
It turns out they didn't send the exact same (NEC NR-7700A) drive,
they sent a drive whose label indicates it's a Hitachi-LG Data
Storage GCE-8483B (with a Gateway part number added on). When
I looked the Gateway part number up on the Gateway support web
site, it indicates the drive is a "RPL HLDS Grey 48X/24X/48X
IDE CD-RW Drive R0", which, while somewhat cryptic, tells me
they did send a drive that's a little more recent (and quite a
bit faster) than the 12x/8x/32x NEC NR-7700A. I installed the
new Hitachi drive today, and everything seems to work OK. The
BIOS identifies the drive (on power up and on restarts), WinXP
recognizes the drive: I can play audio CDs OK and I can browse
data CD-Rs OK. (I haven't tried burning any CD-Rs yet, but I'm
confident that will work OK when I try that this weekend.)

So thanks people for the suggestions posted on this thread that
helped me convince Gateway to send me the drive. (And I guess
I should thank Gateway as well for finally "doing the right thing".)

My next task is to box up the old NEC drive and send it back to
Gateway. At least they included a return UPS shipping label, so
that's not going to be an issue.

--
Mike Holder

Old August 14th 04, 03:39 AM
Grinder

Mike Holder wrote:
Mike Holder wrote:

[...]

I'm glad that it has worked out for you. Good luck with the new drive.
Old August 14th 04, 02:51 PM
albert

I installed the
new Hitachi drive today, and everything seems to work OK. The
BIOS identifies the drive (on power up and on restarts), WinXP
recognizes the drive: I can play audio CDs OK and I can browse
data CD-Rs OK. (I haven't tried burning any CD-Rs yet, but I'm
confident that will work OK when I try that this weekend.)

Mike--

I am glad to hear you have resolved the problem. Enjoy the new drive.

albert