Which AMD Athlon XP CPU to get?

Old August 13th 04, 05:19 AM
Andy in NJ

Default Which AMD Athlon XP CPU to get?

I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard to an AMD Athlon XP CPU. I
currently have an AMD Duron 1.2 gig and want to upgrade to something in the
2 gig range. I've seen AMD Athlon XP's 2800, 3200, 1700, etc... what are the
main differences and which one would you recommend?

My motherboard is an M7VIG Pro motherboard, 100/133 mhz bus speed. Upgrading
the motherboard isn't an option right now. The manual doesn't actually state
the fastest CPU it can accept, but does say it can take an AMD Athlon XP
CPU.

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
http://shorecogs.tripod.com

Old August 13th 04, 05:32 AM
Chris Stolworthy

"Andy in NJ" SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET wrote in message
I am thinking of upgrading my motherboard to an AMD Athlon XP CPU. I
currently have an AMD Duron 1.2 gig and want to upgrade to something in

the
2 gig range. I've seen AMD Athlon XP's 2800, 3200, 1700, etc... what are

the
main differences and which one would you recommend?

My motherboard is an M7VIG Pro motherboard, 100/133 mhz bus speed.

Upgrading
the motherboard isn't an option right now. The manual doesn't actually

state
the fastest CPU it can accept, but does say it can take an AMD Athlon XP
CPU.

--
73! de Andy KC2SSB
http://shorecogs.tripod.com
AIM: shorecogs

According to the mobos specs you can accept upto a 2600+ cpu. I would
recommend a AMD 2600+ (Barton core) processor. The operating frequency is
1.9Ghz.

Old August 13th 04, 05:41 AM
JK

This says that it supports up to XP2600+ 266fsb.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=m7vig+pro

Why not get one of those? It looks like around $70 plus the cost
of a heatsink(unless your current one would work?)

Old August 13th 04, 04:39 PM
Andy in NJ

"JK" wrote in message
This says that it supports up to XP2600+ 266fsb.

http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdetails...odel=m7vig+pro

Why not get one of those? It looks like around $70 plus the cost
of a heatsink(unless your current one would work?)

I was looking on Ebay and it seems the XP2600 is most commonly 333fsb. Is
this downward compatable? Where else would you suggest I buy the CPU from?

Old August 13th 04, 04:44 PM
Cuzman

"JK" wrote in message

" This says that it supports up to XP2600+ 266fsb... ...Why not get one of
those? It looks like around $70 plus the cost of a heatsink(unless your
current one would work?) "

The Duron 1.2Ghz runs at 100FSB, which may mean it is coupled with PC100
SDRAM or PC1600 DDR-RAM (100Mhz DDR200). However, many retailers of that
era used PC133 SDRAM or PC2100 DDR-RAM (133Mhz DDR266) with 100FSB Durons.
The M7VIG Pro supports both memory types, and to run a 266FSB Athlon you
should at least be running PC133 SDRAM or PC2100 DDR-RAM.

It might be wise for the original poster to state the rest of the current
system, and advise what they use their PC for. It may then be possible to
auction some things on eBay (CPU, RAM? graphics card?), and for an extra
$100 or so they could stretch towards the motherboards potential with a
266FSB Athlon XP 2600+ (or 2400+), 512MB DDR and a better graphics card.

Old August 13th 04, 05:06 PM
Cuzman

"Andy in NJ" SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET wrote in message

" I was looking on Ebay and it seems the XP2600 is most commonly 333fsb. Is
this downward compatable? Where else would you suggest I buy the CPU from?
"

Processor clock speed is calculated as 'multiplier x FSB'. The two versions
of the 333FSB 2600+ have a lower multiplier than the 266FSB 2600+ (see
http://snipurl.com/8f1x ). If you were to use a 333FSB version, you would
only be able to run it at 11.5x/12.5x 133, which would run it as an XP 1800+
or 2000+.

The 266FSB 2600+ is in demand, and AMD stopped production of them a long
time ago when the 333FSB Athlons superceded them. In comparison, the 266FSB
2400+ is much more widely available, still in production, and usually much
cheaper to boot. However, Pricewatch seem to have a lot of retailers listed
with the 266FSB 2600+ at competitive prices:
http://www.pricewatch.com/h/prc.aspx?i=3&a=4961&f=1

Old August 13th 04, 05:10 PM
Cuzman

"Chris Stolworthy" wrote in message

" I would recommend a AMD 2600+ (Barton core) processor. "

....which would only be able to run at 11.5 x 133 on a 266FSB motherboard,
giving XP 1800+ performance.

Old August 13th 04, 07:01 PM
Cuzman

"Andy in NJ" SHORECOGS at COMCAST DOT NET wrote in message

" What should I expect to pay for a box with the MB/CPU you mentioned? "

You stated in your first post that you have an M7VIG Pro, and, as it takes
both memory types, you can swap your SDRAM for your DDR. If the DDR is
PC2100 or higher, then it will go fine with a 266FSB Athlon. As things
stand, your 9600 Pro is being severely held back by your Duron 1.2Ghz, so
upgrading to that 266FSB 2600+ would be a massive jump, and would make for a
reasonable gaming system. I would expect that the heatsink/fan from your
Duron wouldn't be up to the colling standards needed for that Athlon, so
you'd need to get one of those too.

You also say that you have numerous components laying around to help build a
second system. What exactly are they? If you were to list them all in
detail, then you may find that you have the basis for a much better gaming
system.

Old August 13th 04, 11:07 PM
Andy in NJ

Cuzman wrote:
You stated in your first post that you have an M7VIG Pro, and, as it
takes both memory types, you can swap your SDRAM for your DDR. If
the DDR is PC2100 or higher, then it will go fine with a 266FSB
Athlon. As things stand, your 9600 Pro is being severely held back
by your Duron 1.2Ghz, so upgrading to that 266FSB 2600+ would be a
massive jump, and would make for a reasonable gaming system. I would
expect that the heatsink/fan from your Duron wouldn't be up to the
colling standards needed for that Athlon, so you'd need to get one of
those too.

You also say that you have numerous components laying around to help
build a second system. What exactly are they? If you were to list
them all in detail, then you may find that you have the basis for a
much better gaming system.

Besides an extra monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers, I have a GeForce
5400 graphics card and 2 one gig DDR modules (PC2100 266Mhz). I plan on
moving the hard drive from the old computer to the new one, as well as the
video card and my turtle beach santa cruz sound card. The DDR modules will
go in the new computer, for 2GB of RAM. The old computer will keep the 1 gig
of SDRAM that is currently installed and I will put the GeForce card will go
in the old computer.

I've gone to Tiger Direct and found some boxes that they sell. Most support
DDR up to PC3200/DDR 400 modules and Athlon XP 3200+. A couple of them have
the M7NCD or M7NCD Ultra. One I am considering, for it's price of $40, is
one that has a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 Motherboard.
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ils.asp?EdpNo=
623836&CatId=1218). All of their boxes can been seen at
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=1218. Do you have any opinions on these?

Old August 13th 04, 11:13 PM

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 18:07:30 -0400, "Andy in NJ" SHORECOGS at COMCAST
DOT NET wrote:

I've gone to Tiger Direct and found some boxes that they sell. Most support
DDR up to PC3200/DDR 400 modules and Athlon XP 3200+. A couple of them have
the M7NCD or M7NCD Ultra. One I am considering, for it's price of $40, is
one that has a Soyo Dragon Ultra KT400 Motherboard.
(http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ils.asp?EdpNo=
623836&CatId=1218). All of their boxes can been seen at
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...asp?CatId=1218. Do you have any opinions on these?

Try to go to newegg.com and find a good nforce2 refurb board for cheap
and look for a sale on memory. I bought some at Compusa a week ago for
19 bucks after rebate 256 333.

I think at outpost.com (FRYs) they are selling a 512 333 stick or
maybe it was 400 for 56 bucks or so after rebate.

Pentium 4 vs. Athlon XP vs. Athlon 64's MarkW General 2 October 10th 06 12:11 PM
Athlon 64 vs Pentium 4 JK General 39 August 12th 04 03:35 PM
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ or Dual AMD Athlon XP 2800+ SysCold General 9 July 4th 04 03:25 AM
Athlon 2400 XP vs 2800 XP Sam Carleton General 7 February 9th 04 06:41 PM
AMD Athlon 64FX first impressions Chris General 14 September 29th 03 02:22 PM