Yeah, the 6800 Video Processor is broken.

Old October 28th 04, 12:27 AM
tq96

No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

From the very article you cite:
"The GeForce 6800 models featured the 1st generation of our programmable
video technology which includes support for high-definition MPEG2 video
decode and standard definition MPEG2 encode
The GeForce 6600 models have the same 1st generation programmable video
technology support as the GeForce 6800 models. However, the GeForce 6600
models also include hardware acceleration for high-definition Windows Media
Video (WMV) decode."

The original press release for the 6800 series touted MPEG 1/2/4
encode/decode and WMV9 decode acceleration. Now the quote doesn't mention
MPEG4 at all and goes on to say that the 6800 cards can decode high
definition MPEG, but only encode standard definition MPEG2 and will not do
anything with WMV9. Quite a difference from the original press release.
Old October 28th 04, 12:46 AM
Les

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

DaveL

I'm confused!

Which part you are confusing with?
1 - Install the latest nVidia driver
2 - Install nVida DVD decoder
3 - Install the latest Media Player from Microsoft
4 - Check the result if result are better.

CapFusion,...
Only problem with this is - unless I'm missing something, you need to
BUY the DVD decoder. I bought the video card, why should I need to buy
nVidia's DVD decoder for the onboard video processor to function?

What are you talking about regarding Decoder?
Are you referring to third-parties DVD software like WinDVD / PowerDVD or
there?

If you look carefully you will see what decoder he refers to

From previous reply link -
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

** Quote **
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com and the
NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from NVIDIA.com.
For Windows Media Video decode on the GeForce 6600 models, end users will
also need to download an update to Windows Media Player from Microsoft.
** /Quote **

Are you still confused?

Yes, why have you posted this? It does not answer the question raised, which
is "I bought the video card, why should I need to buy nVidia's DVD decoder
for the onboard video processor to function?"

CapFusion,...

Ooops, forgot the link -
nVidia DVD Decoder
http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.58.html

CapFusion,...

Yes thats the decoder the previous poster referred to, well done for finding
it :/

Old October 28th 04, 01:04 AM
RaceFace

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

DaveL

I'm confused!

Which part you are confusing with?
1 - Install the latest nVidia driver
2 - Install nVida DVD decoder
3 - Install the latest Media Player from Microsoft
4 - Check the result if result are better.

CapFusion,...

Only problem with this is - unless I'm missing something, you need to BUY
the DVD decoder. I bought the video card, why should I need to buy
nVidia's DVD decoder for the onboard video processor to function?

What are you talking about regarding Decoder?
Are you referring to third-parties DVD software like WinDVD / PowerDVD or
there?

From previous reply link -
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

** Quote **
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com and the
NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from NVIDIA.com.
For Windows Media Video decode on the GeForce 6600 models, end users will
also need to download an update to Windows Media Player from Microsoft.
** /Quote **

Are you still confused?

CapFusion,...

I'm not confused - or maybe I am. While reading all these articles about
the video processor not working, it came up that you had to use *nVidia's*
DVD decoder in order for the video processor to function AT ALL. Not just
with DVD's, or so the articles led me to believe, but to get the video
processor to work with ALL video decoding (WMV HD, for example.)

I already own WinDVD, but these articles make me think I couldn't use that,
instead I had to buy nVidia's in-house decoder.

If that's not the case, then just ignore this.

Old October 28th 04, 01:36 AM
CapFusion

Yes, why have you posted this? It does not answer the question raised,
which is "I bought the video card, why should I need to buy nVidia's DVD
decoder for the onboard video processor to function?"

You purchase the card, does your package include an nVidia DVD Decoder with
your package? Or indicated that it come with nVidia DVD Decoder? If this
package does include nVidia DVD Deconder, then contact the manufacturer for
that activation code. If it does not or label it, you will need to purchase
one.
If you insist that nVidia DVD Decoder should be included with your package,
you will need to contact the manufacturer to obtain the activation code.

CapFusion,...

Old October 28th 04, 03:58 AM
RaceFace

"CapFusion" wrote in message
news
Yes, why have you posted this? It does not answer the question raised,
which is "I bought the video card, why should I need to buy nVidia's DVD
decoder for the onboard video processor to function?"

You purchase the card, does your package include an nVidia DVD Decoder
with your package? Or indicated that it come with nVidia DVD Decoder? If
this package does include nVidia DVD Deconder, then contact the
manufacturer for that activation code. If it does not or label it, you
will need to purchase one.
If you insist that nVidia DVD Decoder should be included with your
package, you will need to contact the manufacturer to obtain the
activation code.

CapFusion,...

HA! I r teh moron!

I never used the eVGA installation disk I got with my system, because nVidia
had just released new ForceWare drivers.. so I installed those. Just
looked at the disk, and it has the NVDVD stuff on it. So.. I guess I have
no problem, 'cept with myself. hehe

Old October 28th 04, 04:27 AM
Ed Light

Apparently it is.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old October 28th 04, 05:46 AM
RaceFace

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Apparently it is.

http://techreport.com/onearticle.x/7535

Yep. So it is.

Oh well. At least the card still runs games very well.

Old October 28th 04, 10:16 AM
Les

"CapFusion" wrote in message
news
Yes, why have you posted this? It does not answer the question raised,
which is "I bought the video card, why should I need to buy nVidia's DVD
decoder for the onboard video processor to function?"

You purchase the card, does your package include an nVidia DVD Decoder
with your package?

no

Or indicated that it come with nVidia DVD Decoder?

no

If this
package does include nVidia DVD Deconder, then contact the manufacturer
for that activation code. If it does not or label it, you will need to
purchase one.
If you insist that nVidia DVD Decoder should be included with your
package, you will need to contact the manufacturer to obtain the
activation code.

CapFusion,...

WWHHOOOOSSHHHH. thats the sound of the problem going right over your head.

It has never been indicated that the nvidia dvd decoder software was
required to make use of this ability. I don't insist the nvidia dvd decoder
software should be included in the package, I insist the advertised function
works without the need of a seperate software pack that end users are
required to purchase.

You sir are being an arse

Old October 28th 04, 04:10 PM
Richard Dower

"Les" wrote in message ...

You sir are being an arse

lol!

Old October 28th 04, 05:09 PM
CapFusion

"Les" wrote in message ...

"CapFusion" wrote in message
news
[...]

Can you please explain why you make this comment? If not, I believe your
comment should apply to yourself.

CapFusion,...