Doom 3

Old August 11th 04, 02:51 PM
Eric

Explain HOW it is stupid. I defy anyone to show harm to children from scary
images or nightmares. Saying it is stupid, doesn't make it so.

What do you think will happen if a kid sees Doom? Do you think they will
become Columbine killers? What are you afraid of exactly?

"Mickey Johnson" wrote in message
wow, the reply below is so stupid it must be a flame.

--
Mickster

"Eric" wrote in message
A few nightmares is good for them. Will give them imagination. Stop
coddling our kids. Nightmares can be fun. Why do you think people

watch
scary movies.

Geez, I had no car seats, no helmets, movies weren't rated until later,

etc.
when I grew up -- I managed to live. I'm not institutionalized or

damaged.

Damn American kids are becoming the biggest pussies in the world. Oh

no,
they can't see sex --- oh no, they can't see violence.

"Mickey Johnson" wrote in message
no they wouldn't implode, but I did see quite a few images that could

cause
nightmares. No need to push extreme violence on little kids when

there
are
plenty of other first person shooters that wouldn't be as 'scary'.

The game definitely needed a mature rating. Nothing wrong with that.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

"Eric" wrote in message

"Mickey Johnson" wrote in message

Very Very bloody, gothic horror game . I definitely would not let
little
kids play this game.

Why not? Would they implode upon seeing it? I don't understand

this
mentality of avoiding these images for little kids. I have never

seen
anything that it causes permanent harm. It is all in the mind of

the
parents. Relax.

Old August 11th 04, 02:51 PM
Eric

I do. Again -- stop buying into the "family" politics of conservative
christians. There is no PROOF that seeing ANY images of ANY type does any
harm to anyone.

So what's the big deal?

And don't quote the bible.

"MarkJ" wrote in message
.. .
Something tells me you dont have young children, not sure what :-|

Old August 11th 04, 03:00 PM
Frode

Old August 11th 04, 03:06 PM
Eric

You dont' know if they can't sleep from something till they see it. Maybe
they will be fine. If they see it and then can't sleep, then you know its
not for them (yet). Many kids sleep fine after seeing scary stuff. Some
don't. You find out how your kid handles it.

"Frode" wrote in message

Eric wrote:
Explain HOW it is stupid. I defy anyone to show harm to children from
scary images or nightmares.

Your child not being able to get to sleep until dropping over from
exhaustion at 3am is plenty damage for most parents. Even if they couldn't
care less about the kid the fact that he's likely to be pestering them all
night cause he can't sleep is very motivating when it comes to excerting
some control over what the kid can and can't see.

Old August 11th 04, 03:59 PM
Mickey Johnson

To you there is no proof, anyone as polorized (on either side) as you
won't see anything but what they want to see.

Go ahead raise your kids that way, just don't tell me how to raise the kids
around me.

Also, when I was around 6-8 years old (I can't remember exactly). I saw a
small snippet of the movie psycho (when the killer is pacing in the basement
with the knife). That scared the crap out of me for YEARS. I definitely
lost sleep over it. Now did it hurt me at all, no, but it sure wasn't
entertaining. There was nothing positive about seeing that type of horror
at the age that I was.

Just because you have the freedom to do something doesn't mean it has to be
done. Go ahead rob your kids of their innocence, its more your loss than
anyone elses.

--

"Eric" wrote in message
I do. Again -- stop buying into the "family" politics of conservative
christians. There is no PROOF that seeing ANY images of ANY type does any
harm to anyone.

So what's the big deal?

And don't quote the bible.

"MarkJ" wrote in message
.. .
Something tells me you dont have young children, not sure what :-|

Old August 11th 04, 04:55 PM
Eric

I'm not polarized. Just logical. All the parents screaming about violence
and sex is based not on any hard data. I'm willing to learn -- show me the
data. It really is usually insecure or uptight parents who themselves have
issues with sex and/or violence, who then push that off onto their kids.

I think if you explain to a kid that what they saw isn't real and doesn't
exist in real life -- they will be able to sleep through the night.
Perhaps you needed to talk to an adult after you saw psycho.

Then again, it scares many adults -- so what's the difference?

Do you really think Janet Jackson's one second nipple exposure caused any
harm to any kid? Its just crazy parents who THINK their precioius kid was
harmed -- or have themselves have issues with sex.

Old August 11th 04, 05:59 PM
Mickey Johnson

You really are trying to widen the discussion, its not about sex, its not
about violence. Its just about what is too scary for some (not all kids).
Kids do not have the forthought to realize that they may be watching
something that will bother them later.

There is nothing wrong at all with Doom having a M rating.

Old August 11th 04, 06:27 PM
Eric

Ratings are for lazy parents who want the government (or industry in
question) to determine what is right for their kids. I pay ZERO attention
to ratings. I do read reviews though to find out what the movie is about
and what it portrays (or the game).

Old August 11th 04, 06:55 PM
Frode

Old August 11th 04, 07:02 PM