CPU Scaling and New Video Cards

Old April 19th 04, 03:59 AM
magnulus

"Sept1967" sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net wrote in message
New cards almost always NEED a fast CPU to "push" them. Take a look at

Toms'
Hardware. They have several charts (benchmarks) with the same video card,
using a slower CPU, and faster CPU. The same video card can gain as much

as
25% (or more) performance just by having a faster CPU pumping out the

data.

If you go to higher resolution or image quality, you will need a faster
graphics card, not CPU. At higher resolutions games are graphics card
limited, not CPU limited. This means unless you game at 800x600 or
1024x768, you might benefit from a faster video card even if you have a
slower CPU.

Old April 19th 04, 06:08 AM
NightSky 421

"Mr. Grinch" wrote in message
3.159...

That's what I'm going to do. But the waiting is killing me! Argh!

With a name like yours?...c'mon. :-)

(Just kidding of course)

Old April 19th 04, 08:00 AM
Blig Merk

"teqguy" wrote in message news:
You guys have to take these games with a grain of salt.
And the Dawn demo that supposedly required a Geforce FX to run?
Weeks later, college kids had it running on a Radeon... and running
BETTER at that. A patch was later released for the Geforce 4 and lower
series to emulate an FX... didn't do a bad job either.

That was a good story but did you ever try it yourself? It wasn't just
a Radeon, it had to be a Radeon 9800 Pro with 256MB memory.
Personally, tried the patch on a Radeon 9800 Pro with 128MB and it
didn't work. So much for that anecdote. Besides, that was yesterday's
news. Have you tried the Dusk 5900 demo? Funny how there isn't any
claim that it can be run on a Radeon or that it can be patched down to
a Geforce 4. Don't believe everything you read except those things you
already have a preconceived notion about seems to be a common theme on
the Internet.
Old April 19th 04, 08:37 AM
Inglo

On 4/18/2004 6:22 PM Skippy brightened our day with:

"Inglo" wrote in message
. com...

On 4/18/2004 5:35 PM Mr. Grinch brightened our day with:

I've already got what I need to play Doom3, an XBox.

Oh yeah baby! Nothing like Doom3 at 640x480 resolution.

(I know the XBox can do higher resolution than that... but even the scaled
down Doom3 that the XBox may get will bring it to it's knees...)

If you can handle 5 minute level loads I bet it'll look fine on the XBox.
I'll be playing it on my overclocked like a mutha AthlonXP w/ Radeon
9600 Pro though too, and I imagine the 96/800s will do alright as well.

--
"Cocaine's a hell of a drug" - Rick James

Steve [Inglo]
Old April 19th 04, 09:07 AM
magnulus

"PEACEMAKER" wrote in message
.cable.rogers.com...
then all the industry has to do is not write games that require extreme
hardware? obviously people wanting extreme games is what is pushing the

game
industry. people who can afford 600$ video cards are more likely the ones

buy the games

I disagree. A few demanding FPS's don't make up the whole of the PC
gaming industry. Strategy games are more demanding than they were 3 years
ago, but they are a still a far cry (pardon the pun) from some action games.

Old April 19th 04, 09:27 AM
Andrew

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 04:07:22 -0400, "magnulus"
wrote:

I disagree. A few demanding FPS's don't make up the whole of the PC
gaming industry. Strategy games are more demanding than they were 3 years
ago, but they are a still a far cry (pardon the pun) from some action games.

State of the art games have been pushing PC hardware sales for over 10
years now, and PC gaming is still going strong.
Old April 19th 04, 09:38 AM
magnulus

"Joe62" wrote in message
news
Remember the hype a few years back about how you wouldn't need to do
this in the GeForce age? Nothing but marketing lies.

Not necessarily true. If you want to up the resolution or image quality,
a newer card on the same processor could still be do-able. The 6800 is only
CPU limited at LOWER resolutions and without antialiasing. The antialiasing
quality of the 6800 will be alot better than any of NVidia's previous cards.

I have a GeForce FX 5900 (non-pro) but I'm going to be saving up to buy an
FX 6800 (non-pro) if the benchmarks play out around the time of release.

Old April 19th 04, 10:21 AM
magnulus

"Andrew" spamtrap@localhost wrote in message
State of the art games have been pushing PC hardware sales for over 10
years now, and PC gaming is still going strong.

Bust at least 3/4 of the games out there have very modest system
requirements.

Out of the hundreds of games available, there are maybe only about 5-10 I
would say are "demanding", and only maybe 2-3 I'd call "very demanding" (Far
Cry would be one of them).