Halo and FX 5900

Old October 20th 03, 10:14 AM
Sir Basil

"gBOT" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Just bought Halo for PC. My System:

P4 2.6 800FSB
1GB DDR RAM
Maxtor SATA HDD
Leadtek GeForce FX5900 128MB
Nvidia 45.23 drivers
Halo 1.02 patch

With settings maxed out @ 1280x1024 I get single figure fram rates.

Even at 800x600, with settings toned down a bit it's still pretty bad.

I should never have to play at 800x600 with this card.

It's broken!! How can they release such a big title, and not test it
on such popular hardware with current release drivers?

Very disappointing. My first DX9 game looks like crap.

Has anyone out there got similar system, but not having bad frame
rates?

I've seen posts that the 52.13 drivers improve things, but there is
apparently other problems with them.

Why should we need beta drivers to run such a major, new release
title?

You're doing something wrong, my system is running it fine , just under
30fps, and all I have is:

XP1700+ (oc'd to XP2600+)
512MB PC3200 DDR
GF4 Ti4200 128MB
ATA133 40GB Maxtor HD

Don't think I was playing on the highest res, but it was higher than
800x600, with almost no slowdown.

Old October 20th 03, 10:14 AM
Sir Basil

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
m...

First of all..it runs like **** cause ur using an nvidia card (i have

one
too)...

Well, obviously, that is NOT the reason, as my Ti4600 runs the game
wonderfully at 1280x1024.

Hear hear!!

Old October 20th 03, 11:31 AM
Nick (no dashes)

Sir Basil wrote:
"Darthy" wrote in message

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:05:16 -0400, "chrisrobin"
wrote:

You are right about halo. i played and was wondering what the hype was
about, oh its about sales, i get now. I had better time playing
vietcong,chaser games that didnt get the exposer.

GameSpy (okay, I know they suck) - but they did put HALO as one of the
TOP 25 over-hyped games in the world... good concepts, but maps that
are simular... I don't own an XBOX (Death to M$) - but have played it
a bit in stores... no big deal...

Playing it in store is nothing like owning the game, this game is ace on the
XBox.

SB

Well, I played it in store for about 30 mins and bougth it, thinking it
would get better.

After the weekend (ie today) I returned it to EB.

Unfortunatly, it feels like the 3 year old game it is. It ran fine on my
PC but I found it pretty dull and I'm sad to say the graphics were
pretty tired looking, even on max settings.

Old October 20th 03, 12:51 PM
Danny

chaser games that didnt get the exposer.

Chaser is magnificent.

Old October 20th 03, 12:52 PM
Danny

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
m...

First of all..it runs like **** cause ur using an nvidia card (i have

one
too)...

Well, obviously, that is NOT the reason, as my Ti4600 runs the game
wonderfully at 1280x1024.

tbh, same here. Though I play at 1024.

Old October 20th 03, 05:04 PM
Granulated

On Sun, 19 Oct 2003 19:05:16 -0400 "chrisrobin" meeped :

You are right about halo. i played and was wondering what the hype was
about, oh its about sales, i get now. I had better time playing
vietcong,chaser games that didnt get the exposer.

Chrome is also better looking and more enjoyable than Halo (imo)
Old October 20th 03, 11:50 PM
Sir Basil

"Nick (no dashes)" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

It's a port, and yeah it is old, but hell, I still play eight player death
matches on weekends, and it is still one of the best gaming experiences I
ever had. weirdly, i think this game is better on my 32" TV with my xbox.

Halo2 is gonna be such a trip

Old October 21st 03, 12:49 AM
--o--

"SpaceWalker" wrote in message
.. .
since the gfx is not a true "DX9" card, the code chokes when using 2.0
shaders. Run the game with -use14 for shader 1.4 or -use11 for shader 1.1.

Ex.
"..\halo.exe -use11" for version 1.1 shader
"..\halo.exe -use14" for version 1.4 shader

alot of people have gotten much better performance out of halo this way..

1.1 and 1.4 is driver dependent so try both and see which one works better
with your driver version.

wow that worked a treat - the demo at least is playable now!

Old October 21st 03, 11:10 AM
Darthy

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003 10:11:28 +0100, "Sir Basil" sir.basilYOUR HEAD
FROM YOUR wrote:

.. .
wrote:

You are right about halo. i played and was wondering what the hype was
about, oh its about sales, i get now. I had better time playing
vietcong,chaser games that didnt get the exposer.

GameSpy (okay, I know they suck) - but they did put HALO as one of the
TOP 25 over-hyped games in the world... good concepts, but maps that
are simular... I don't own an XBOX (Death to M$) - but have played it
a bit in stores... no big deal...

Playing it in store is nothing like owning the game, this game is ace on the
XBox.

Okay... I DLed the DEMO...

Technically: Game ran good on my Ti4200 in 1024x768 FULL details, but
it also became JERKY in many places... where UT2003 would NOT.

HALO graphics are between UT-1 and UT2003 quality. Texture vary from
**** to quite good. (Drop ships are crappy ugly things). World
details/objects is on par with a 2001 game... empty, non moving. In
UT2003, you have lots of huge moving objects in a room with all kinds
of lighting effects.

SOUND: Great, good effects... Aliens sound funny - too bad we have to
kill them. (I dont know the story). Music is very good, creates the
MOOD... in dark room, it makes things creepy and dangerous - mainly
because you can hardly see and you HEAR things... (in High Tech combat
gear, where is the NightVision Display? heheh)

Character textures are a bit above UT... nothing great... No RaG DOLL
abilities.

Concept: World : Good, Im a Sci Fi buff... Game concept I think is
valid... The RING WORLD (there are many stories like thigs) is drawn
a bit wrong... It should fade into the distance a bit more and for
the most part, you SHOULD only barely see the outter most ring - and
it should be thinner... but its hard to gauge scale (no reference
given in the game), but if we go by how much Altitude is needed to
contain a "Biosphere" and its some-what low gravity, the size of the
clouds and land masses - it looks like its about half the size of the
Earth (if ya slice the planet into a thin ring and gutted it). So it
reality, you would be a bit hard pressed to see the horizon... maybe
if it was the size of Texas - you could see the other side - but its
much bigger than that... I guess

In comparision, Unreal2 - LOOKS 10x better, has better weapons. and
better graphics and physics. But they NEVER quite got the "look and
feel" of places on many maps. The Alien power plant on level 1 (halo)
is more REAL than Unreal2's main HUMAN base - which is very much the
same style (Nice beach area, with big concreatebuildings). But the
unreal2 base was rather stupid looking.... and was not designed the
way a military base would be put together. (Has an ION cannon,
buildings that are built stupidly - but have that cool factor, but
their emergancy backup generator is protected by a chainlink fence
with basicly a gasoline engine type setup.)

Weapons : SO SO... rocket launcher sucks... big bulky thing, takes up
half the screen.

The JEEP: Concept good, getting in & out good... but drives like ****.
Character AI is stupid... Would be nice to at least direct NPCs to
attack targets they dont seem to see.

I'd call it a GOOD game... but has sloppy programming and its 2001
game technology so it should only SELL for $20 tops. HALO will not
sell well for PC... okay... lets see: UT2004 vs HALO for multiplayer
game, both are $40~50. You got a top end system, which would really
show itself off?

HALO for single player, maybe better than Unreal2 - The first level
was interesting. Would I buy it? No. 1st: its a microsoft product.
2nd its not worth $20 or more. One of my friends may buy it when its
comes down and when hes bored, I'll borrow it if I feel like it.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 21st 03, 11:50 AM
Andrew

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:10:45 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

Character textures are a bit above UT... nothing great... No RaG DOLL
abilities.

Huh? It has by far the best ragdoll physics I have seen in any game!
It kicks the crap out of the Karma engine used with the Unreal Warfare
engined games.
please don't top post. Trim messages to quote only relevent text.