Problem LG CD0RW 8520B Drive

Old May 3rd 04, 03:55 AM
Lynn Q

Default Problem LG CD0RW 8520B Drive

Hi there,

Tonight I had a problem with this drive. Whilst installing software using
this drive (F: on my XP Pro system) there was a loud bang and then I
discovered that the disc inside this drive was smashed. I need to know what
I can do to remedy the situation.

I have an LG DVD-ROM GDR8161B as my E: drive (mounted above this one).
These are both located in a tower system above (I assume) my two hard
drives. This system is approx. 1 year old and I think still under warranty
(by a matter of days).

I need to know what I can to clear my problem CD-RW F: CD-RW drive. I think
there is about one-half of a CD-ROM still inside the computer. I assume
this is an enclosed case for this drive (but I can't find documentation on
www.lge.com to support this). The computer seems to be running fine apart
from this. However, the drive door will only open about 1" from the tower
and my concern is with pieces from the CD-ROM falling into the rest of the
system below. If I look at my tower, the top slot is blank, the DVD drive
is next from top, then a blank, and below that the problem CD-RW drive (F.
Next is my floppy a: drive. I expect the two hard drives are below this
assembly at the lower half of the unit.

Is there a way in which I can safely open up the case on this tower AMD
Athlon 2100+ clone-type system to check and remove the offending pieces of
CD-ROM? I will need detailed instructions as I have never attempted
anything like this before. Unfortunately I am unable to contact the vendor
at this time for steps to follow (if appropriate due to possible warranty
issue).

The DVD drive (top at E is functioning fine as are all other parts of this
system (so far as I can tell).

So, any and all comments most welcome. I appreciate all help here. Thanks
in advance.

Lynn

Old May 3rd 04, 06:20 AM

On Sun, 2 May 2004 22:55:24 -0400, "Lynn Q"
wrote:

So, any and all comments most welcome. I appreciate all help here. Thanks
in advance.

Lynn

If the cd has disintegrated inside the 8502b then all the parts are
going to be in the drive unless the drive casing blew apart too which
is unlikely.

The drives are encased in a metal case except for the back maybe and
front.

The drive itself is usually held in buy screws or may slide out in
some aftermarket cases but probably not in retailed clone units.

The entire PC case - it depends. Theres a variety of ways they are
constructed.

The most common one is a simple case with screws in the back. IF you
look in the back of the PC youll see a bunch of screws lining the edge
of the back which plainly hold the metal cover onto the frame.

Once you take those off it slides off.

There are weird variations though.

Sometimes the cover is made up of ONE piece top and sides. Other times
its made of 3 pieces - top stays on but the sides come off.

Sometimes the sides slide off after a simple handle on the side cover
is released. Other times theres a side handle AND screws in the back.

Ive got one case an Enlight where you grab the bottom of the front
panel and that pops off. THEN the entire cover slides off backward. No
screws.

I removerd from a DELL and that had some weird plastic levers and
screws in the back.

Some cases can be a real challange trying to figure out how to remove
the cover.

Old May 3rd 04, 10:18 PM
Kevin Lawton

Lynn Q wrote:
| Hi there,
|
| Tonight I had a problem with this drive. Whilst installing software
| using this drive (F: on my XP Pro system) there was a loud bang and
| then I discovered that the disc inside this drive was smashed. I
| need to know what I can do to remedy the situation.
|
| I have an LG DVD-ROM GDR8161B as my E: drive (mounted above this one).
| These are both located in a tower system above (I assume) my two hard
| drives. This system is approx. 1 year old and I think still under
| warranty (by a matter of days).
|
| I need to know what I can to clear my problem CD-RW F: CD-RW drive.
| I think there is about one-half of a CD-ROM still inside the
| computer. I assume this is an enclosed case for this drive (but I
| can't find documentation on www.lge.com to support this). The
| computer seems to be running fine apart from this. However, the
| drive door will only open about 1" from the tower and my concern is
| with pieces from the CD-ROM falling into the rest of the system
| below. If I look at my tower, the top slot is blank, the DVD drive
| is next from top, then a blank, and below that the problem CD-RW
| drive (F. Next is my floppy a: drive. I expect the two hard drives
| are below this assembly at the lower half of the unit.
|
| Is there a way in which I can safely open up the case on this tower
| AMD Athlon 2100+ clone-type system to check and remove the offending
| pieces of CD-ROM? I will need detailed instructions as I have never
| attempted anything like this before. Unfortunately I am unable to
| contact the vendor at this time for steps to follow (if appropriate
| due to possible warranty issue).
|
| The DVD drive (top at E is functioning fine as are all other parts
| of this system (so far as I can tell).
|
| So, any and all comments most welcome. I appreciate all help here.
| Thanks in advance.

To be honest, I would advise against opening up the case of your PC if you
are hoping to make a warranty claim. Examine it closely, but the chances are
that you'll find that the warranty would be invalidated if you open the
case.
Don't worry - pieces of your CD-ROM aren't going to fall into the rest of
the PC. CD drives are made in metal boxes only open at the front. You should
be perfectly safe using the PC, except that you can't use the CD-RW drive at
the moment.
From my experience, there's a 50/50 chance that the CD has disintegrated
without harming the drive - or that, alternatively, the drive has suffered
internal damage as well. Drives can be repaired, but it is not usually cost
effective as new ones are so cheap.
If this is just a non-branded clone-type system, the chances are that the
case can be opened by removing the screws at the back (normally two per
side) which hold the case sides on and then sliding the sides back and off.
It is best to have the machine powered down but earthed while you do this -
so have it plugged into a switched mains outlet which is switched off.
The CD-RW drive will most likely be held in place by a couple of screws on
either side - through the case framework - and there will be cables plugged
into the back of it. Make a carefull note, a drawing or photo, of the exact
cable positions before unplugging them and removing the drive. Once
released, the drive will slide out from the front.
I would not advise dismantling the drive yourself as you don't seem too
experienced with PC repair. However, if you really want to have a go then
you'll see that the plastic front panel of the drive can be released by
simultaneously pressing in all the plastic lugs which hold it in the outer
metal casing. The rest is essentially a question of figuring it out as you
go along. Try shaking the drive gently with the front side downwards to
dislodge pieces of CD. Of course, you'll need to keep all the pieces of the
CD so you'll know when it is all out. If all of the bits don't fall out
easily, and they probably won't, the next step would be to remove the outer
metal casing from the drive. Bear in mind that by this time you've no chance
whatsoever left of any warranty claim.
If I were you, I'd explore the chance of the warranty before opening up
anything.
Kevin.

Help needed: problem installing XP on new system GJ General 26 March 1st 04 10:04 PM
Problem with External Hard Drive Flake General 5 February 17th 04 06:14 PM
Mysterious Hard Drive Problem Bill Anderson General 4 January 18th 04 03:43 AM
Hard drive problem MyndPhlyp General 1 November 11th 03 11:39 PM
Help! WinXP can't tell that my 2nd hard drive is already formatted FitPhillyGuy General 12 September 26th 03 03:38 AM