Is this Computer worth it?

Old November 28th 06, 09:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
ShutEye

Default Is this Computer worth it?

cut
About the equiv of 3.7 MHz.

Same as a commodore 64 then?

LOL! No that ran at about 1 iirc

Old November 28th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Mitch Crane

"Dr Zoidberg" wrote in
:

Trev wrote:
"Johannes Andersen" wrote in message

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you
want, but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the
1.86MHz is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

About the equiv of 3.7 MHz.

Same as a commodore 64 then?

Almost 4 times as fast as a C64.

--
ybbxvatyvxrnobeantnvayvivatyvxrnurergvpyvfgravatgb neguheyrrerpbeqfznxv
atnyylbhesevraqfsrryfbthvyglnobhggurveplavpvfznaqg urerfgbsgurvetrareng
Old November 28th 06, 09:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rod Speed

Uncle Nobby wrote

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Those Aldi Medions dont have a great reputation quality wise.

Old November 28th 06, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Trev

Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you
want, but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the
1.86MHz is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

About the equiv of 3.7 MHz. should be GHz

Same as a commodore 64 then?

Ah you spotted my deliberate mistake Help yourself to a drink

Old November 28th 06, 09:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,uk.comp.homebuilt
johannes

Paul wrote:

Johannes Andersen wrote:

wrote:
Uncle Nobby wrote:

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg
1.8G cpu is far behind new machines. It should do everything you want,
but its a lot of money for a NOS machine.

NT

But it's a Core 2 Duo, the processors run much more efficient; the 1.86MHz
is not a problem. It's fairly priced for the spec.

The E6300 is not listed in the chart here, but this particular benchmark
scales well with frequency. If you take the benchmark results of the
E6400 Core2 Duo and multiply by 1.86/2.13 (the ratio of the processor
frequencies), you get a benchmark value of about 17000 or so estimated
for the E6300. That is slightly faster than the Pentium D 960 dual core
running at 3.6GHz. So the processor is faster than its clock rate suggests.

http://www23.tomshardware.com/cpu.ht...=436&chart=158

While that benchmark gives a multiplier of 2x based on effectiveness at
its frequency, not all benchmarks give the same results. A slightly lower
multiplier for the effective clock rate might be in order. Looking at the
benchmarks that best reflect the applications being used, would help.

It is also possible to overclock processors like that, and climb further
up that chart. But with no knowledge about what motherboard is used,
it is hard to say whether the Medion package is overclocking friendly.

The exchange rate today is:

1 British Pound (GBP) = 1.93791 US Dollar (USD)

(http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic)

so the £549.99 is about $1066 USD.

About the only question I have about that system, is whether the video
card is enough or not. The 7650GS doesn't seem to be shipping yet.
And I can't find any specs for the card, although the naming convention
suggests it will be in the same ballpark as the 7600GS. (The fact that
it is "passively cooled" is a warning sign. I like to install an 80mm
fan next to cards like that. I have a couple video cards without fans
on them, and I use an 80mm fan sitting next to them, to keep them
stable while gaming.) It is certainly tempting to look for a
stronger video card..

I tried the HP and Dell UK sites, and they have nothing to compare to
this. (I have to add an £82 WinTV-HVR3000 to get the TV functions.)
So it doesn't look like a bad deal so far.

The difference between pre-built and DIY computers, is with the pre-built
you can get a better price. With the DIY, you get exactly what you want
in the way of components. The best of all worlds would be a build-to-order
PC, if you could get it without the abominable software package that comes
with such machines. A retail Microsoft OS would be transferable, reinstallable,
and all-round friendlier, than the bloated config that comes with a lot
of pre-built machines. I'd rather have my choice of antivirus packages, than
take whatever is bundled with the pre-built machine. Nuking the installed
software, and starting from scratch, is one way to fix it...

Paul

Yes, I agree to all that. There is also the possibility that pre-build
machines contain a degree of proprietary components which are not listed
and sold generally, hence affecting compatibility for future upgrades.

Price may not be the main criteria, but nevertheless the Gadget programme
on channel 5 once showed that you could actually build a both cheaper and
better machine, the commercial machine had skimped on the graphics system.
Old November 28th 06, 09:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Uncle Nobby

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Uncle Nobby wrote

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Those Aldi Medions dont have a great reputation quality wise.

Where have you read that, I have only seen good things about them on the
forums and ng.

Old November 28th 06, 10:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rod Speed

Uncle Nobby wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Nobby wrote

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Those Aldi Medions dont have a great reputation quality wise.

Where have you read that,

Newsgroups.

I have only seen good things about them on the forums and ng.

Its easy to find those who have had problems using groups.google

Old November 28th 06, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Uncle Nobby

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Uncle Nobby wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Nobby wrote

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Those Aldi Medions dont have a great reputation quality wise.

Where have you read that,

Newsgroups.

I have only seen good things about them on the forums and ng.

Its easy to find those who have had problems using groups.google

I've looked and I haven't seen any more complaints about them than any other
manufacture.
I note not many manufactures offer a 3 year warranty on their PCs

Old November 28th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Gaz

HEATHER-SCOTGIRL wrote:
i think it could be cheaper for the spec as especially the processor runs
at
1.8ghz, not fast for a brand new pc nowadays

I think you might misunderstand the technology. The core duo processers are
exceptionally fast, for a low clock speed, and easily the equivalent of a
athlon64 3800 x2.

Gaz

Old November 29th 06, 12:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop.live,uk.comp.homebuilt
Rod Speed

Uncle Nobby wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Nobby wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Uncle Nobby wrote

Is this any good?

http://tinyurl.com/yg2pcg

Those Aldi Medions dont have a great reputation quality wise.

Where have you read that,

Newsgroups.

I have only seen good things about them on the forums and ng.

Its easy to find those who have had problems using groups.google

I've looked and I haven't seen any more
complaints about them than any other manufacture.

You didnt look hard enough and have decided regardless of the evidence.

I note not many manufactures offer a 3 year warranty on their PCs

Oh bull****, its available with plenty.