Yeah, the 6800 Video Processor is broken.

Old November 9th 04, 10:26 AM
Chip

"John Lewis" wrote in message
On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 09:36:41 -0000, "Chip"
wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message

No doubt the problem will be
fixed for the AGP user with the first die-shrink of the 6800 family.

I am sure it will be fixed before that. I wouldn't be at all surprised if
the silicon now being delivered is fixed in fact. I would think a new
stepping will contain a fix.

Since I have zero inclination to remove the heat-sink to ascertain the

Rev version, I shall give the 6800GT (AGP) and the X800 (AGP) a pass.
Still have my trusty overclocked 5900 (non-XT). Will probably wait
for a dual PCI-express motherboard to give the option of running
the 6800 in SLI mode. A FX53/nForce4 motherboard combo would be
extremely attractive.

Er, so would a shag with Cameron Diaz. Not going to get that either ;-)

Chip

Old November 14th 04, 08:28 PM
J. Clarke

wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message

No doubt the problem will be
fixed for the AGP user with the first die-shrink of the 6800 family.

I am sure it will be fixed before that. I wouldn't be at all surprised
if
the silicon now being delivered is fixed in fact. I would think a new
stepping will contain a fix.

Since I have zero inclination to remove the heat-sink to ascertain the

Rev version, I shall give the 6800GT (AGP) and the X800 (AGP) a pass.
Still have my trusty overclocked 5900 (non-XT). Will probably wait
for a dual PCI-express motherboard to give the option of running
the 6800 in SLI mode. A FX53/nForce4 motherboard combo would be
extremely attractive.

Er, so would a shag with Cameron Diaz. Not going to get that either ;-)

Now, watch, 80 years from now you're going to be in the old folks home and
who's the widow next door going to be? Be careful what you wish for
grin.

Chip

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old November 15th 04, 09:21 AM
Chip

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

wrote:

"John Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

Well thanks for the thought. But in 80 years, I would be a 123. With
medical science being what it is, I suppose that may be remotely possible.
Getting the kit to work, however? Well that's another matter altogether.
LOL.

Chip

Old December 2nd 04, 12:33 AM
TechMaster

On 28 Oct 2004 09:05:36 +0950, "@ndrew"
andrewratinternodedotondotnet wrote:

Hey now...i just downloaded the DVD decoder and no one asked me
for any money.

CapFusion wrote:

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"RaceFace" wrote in message

"CapFusion" wrote in message

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

"DaveL" wrote in message
No it's not! It just needs a driver update.
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

DaveL

I'm confused!

Which part you are confusing with?
1 - Install the latest nVidia driver
2 - Install nVida DVD decoder
3 - Install the latest Media Player from Microsoft
4 - Check the result if result are better.

CapFusion,...
Only problem with this is - unless I'm missing something, you need

to BUY the DVD decoder. I bought the video card, why should I
need to buy nVidia's DVD decoder for the onboard video processor
to function?

What are you talking about regarding Decoder?
Are you referring to third-parties DVD software like WinDVD /
PowerDVD or there?

From previous reply link -
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=19314

** Quote **
The ForceWare driver will be available shortly on the NVIDIA.com
and the NVIDIA's DVD decoder is already available for download from
NVIDIA.com. For Windows Media Video decode on the GeForce 6600
models, end users will also need to download an update to Windows
Media Player from Microsoft. ** /Quote **

Are you still confused?

CapFusion,...

Ooops, forgot the link -
nVidia DVD Decoder
http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder_1.00.58.html

CapFusion,...

But you do have to buy the Nvidia DVD Decoder .. it is not free.

regards

@ndrew

Old December 2nd 04, 12:51 AM
Ed Light

"TechMaster" wrote in message
On 28 Oct 2004 09:05:36 +0950, "@ndrew"
andrewratinternodedotondotnet wrote:

Hey now...i just downloaded the DVD decoder and no one asked me
for any money.

It says

"NOTE: This software will not run unless you have purchased an activation
key. To purchase an activation key please visit
www.dvd.nvidiaproducts.com."

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 2nd 04, 01:46 AM
Nerdillius Maximus

"Ed Light" wrote in message

"TechMaster" wrote in message
On 28 Oct 2004 09:05:36 +0950, "@ndrew"
andrewratinternodedotondotnet wrote:

Hey now...i just downloaded the DVD decoder and no one asked me
for any money.

It says

"NOTE: This software will not run unless you have purchased an activation
key. To purchase an activation key please visit

"www.your favorite warez n' crack site.com"

or

"www.I'm so l33t with my hex editor.net"

or

"www.my buddy just got a new Nvidia card with the proggy on the included
disk.edu"

Sorry, couldn't resist...

www.dvd.nvidiaproducts.com."

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old December 3rd 04, 01:52 PM
TechMaster

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:14:38 GMT, (John Lewis)
wrote:

Hey JOHN, You sound as though you really know what your talkin about.
I am trying to make a decision as to which card to buy.
Firstly...Do you thing there would be any way of telling from the box
weather or not its a newer series card?
OR
Should i stay away all together. I want gaming power but its not all
terribly important to me. Im not a real gaming freak. But i DO need
VIDEO processing power, because i do video edditing and would like to
buld a nice Video edditing machine based on one of these cards.
Im using Pinnacle Syatems studio 9 pro with a Movie box attached.
Any thoughts on this?

On Sat, 30 Oct 2004 10:26:47 +0100, "Chip"
wrote:

"Ed Light" wrote in message
Update:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/d...029125458.html

Ed Light

Much as I thought. They have fixed the Video Processor in later chip
revisions, hence it works on the PCI Express card:

"While NVIDIA now says HD WMV acceleration is only supported by the GeForce
6600-series graphics processing units, X-bit labs has found that at least on
some drivers the HDTV acceleration works on the GeForce 6800 GT PCI Express
graphics cards. AGP flavour of the GeForce 6800 GT did not provide HDTV
hardware decoding on the same driver version."

The very worrying bit is that it did not work on the AGP card.... which is
the one that everyone owns and which all the fuss is about. No-one is
doubting nVidia's ability to fix the problem with later chips. What we are
all wondering about is how they are going to fix it with *our* cards!

Chip

One of the penalties of being an "early adopter". I have held off
buying a 6800-series card until the driver for the video processor was
fully up and running. I have some past experience in both the use
and design of complex silicon - and have learned that hardware
test-suites are an incomplete substitute for a fully-working driver
in terms of debugging a chip. No doubt the problem will be
fixed for the AGP user with the first die-shrink of the 6800 family.
Both NVidia and Ati will be continuing to support AGP for a long
time in the PC-peripheral-upgrade market. The die-shrinks that
both are planning to release will address both power and
chip-cost issues as well as fixing hardware-bugs.

John Lewis