Old OpenGL Games too dark. How can I brighten?

Old August 24th 03, 09:43 PM
Viken Karaguesian

Default Old OpenGL Games too dark. How can I brighten?

Hi guys,

I have a Ti-4200 128MB card. Old games that use OpenGL (like Quake 1 and
Quake 2) are often way too dark. The in-game brightness controls do not
work. How can change the image brightness? I seem to remember that older
Nvidia drivers had a separate gamma control for OpenGL games, but the newer
drivers don't. So....can anyone help me out? Here are the pertinent specs:

- GF4 Ti-4200 with 45.23 drivers.
- Pentium 4/1.7 Ghz
- Windows XP

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Viken

Old August 24th 03, 10:54 PM

Right click the desktop and go into properties, settings tab, and then
advanced. Find the tab for your Ti4200. Go into the tab and see on the left
if there are additional settings. Go into overlay controls and adjust the
brightness there a bit and see if this helps you any.

regards

Old August 24th 03, 11:14 PM
Me

Use the games console to adjust the gamma setting.

Syntax: gamma value
Default: 0.0

Sets the gamma correction level (aka brightness.)

Other Quakw 1 console commands he-
http://www.neophi.com/home/danielr/q...onsole-all.txt

Old August 24th 03, 11:23 PM
Reggie Hillier

Make an autoexec.cfg file for Q2 and put this in it :

gl_modulate "4"
vid_gamma ".7"
intensity "2"
vid_restart

This should brighten it up.

Old August 25th 03, 12:46 AM
Viken Karaguesian

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. All this has got me wondering: What options should I
choose for the OpenGL section of the NVIDIA? I see 2 checkboxes, one says
"Disable support for enhanced CPU instruction sets" and one says "Enable
conformant OpenGL texture clamp behavior ". Should I check these off? Also,
what do these do?

- Default color Depth (OK...that one is self-explanatory)
- Flip-Buffering Mode
- Vertical Sync

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Viken

Old August 25th 03, 03:08 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 19:35:38 -0400, In this world we created "Viken
Karaguesian" wrote :

Thanks! The autoexec.cfg file worked great for Quake 2, but I can't get
Quake 1 to work, but even with the "gamma" command from the console.

Viken

For Glquake(1) use Zquake
http://www.besmella-quake.com/
as it's gamma settings work
gl_gamma 0.3

And or,

Download the free,"Rivatuner",
http://www.guru3d.com/rivatuner/
Have it load on bootup.
run it.
Main/Driver settings/Customize/Customize Desktop and Overlay settings.
Make a gamma corrected brightness say 2.2 and choose the save Icon but
give the scheme a name say
gamma1
Make another one but reset to defaults and save as
Def1
Now go back to the Main Tab/Launcher and make Launcher profiles with
the + sign(add) and give this the same names as the two you have made
but edit each one so it launches the colour scheme and in the Shortcut
key box I use Crtl+1 for my gamma1 and Ctrl+2 for my Def1.
Anytime I want the gamma settings up I use the key combos and in the
Launcher you can even set it to run the specific game if you like with
a custom gamma for that game.
HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,