SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F is messed up

Old January 16th 06, 06:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F is messed up

My SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F reads and plays DVDs perfectly,
but it can no longer read, write, or even detect any CDs except GTA
San Andreas.

Apparently, this problem is very unique.
No one seems to have even heard of something like this.

Old January 16th 06, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

My SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F reads and plays DVDs perfectly,
but it can no longer read, write, or even detect any CDs except GTA
San Andreas.

You could try using a CD cleaning kit but most likely the drive is
bad. Drives like that use different lasers depending on if
it's a DVD or CD.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Old January 16th 06, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Do you mean a kit that cleans a CD drive, or a kit that cleans CDs?
My CDs are fine.
I tried to run a cleaning CD on the drive, but it can't even detect a
cleaning CD.
I also tried sucking out any dust there was with a vacuum cleaner, but
still no progress.

Did you say this kind of drive has more than 1 laser in it?

Old January 16th 06, 09:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Do you mean a kit that cleans a CD drive, or a kit that cleans CDs?
My CDs are fine. I tried to run a cleaning CD on the drive, but it can't
even detect a
cleaning CD. I also tried sucking out any dust there was with a vacuum
cleaner, but
still no progress. Did you say this kind of drive has more than 1 laser
in it?

A combo drive has two lasers - one for DVD and one for CD. Could be your CD
laser is bad.

---

Old January 17th 06, 03:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

"KC Computers" wrote in message
.. .
Do you mean a kit that cleans a CD drive, or a kit that cleans CDs?
My CDs are fine. I tried to run a cleaning CD on the drive, but it can't
even detect a
cleaning CD. I also tried sucking out any dust there was with a vacuum
cleaner, but
still no progress. Did you say this kind of drive has more than 1 laser
in it?

A combo drive has two lasers - one for DVD and one for CD. Could be your
CD
laser is bad.

---
Kevin Chalker, Owner (KC COMPUTERS)
E-mail: Web: www.kc-computers.com
Internet dealer since 1991!!! See WWW.RESELLERRATINGS.COM!!!

Kevin is dead on to the problem you are having.

It is the laser that is bad,if it's under warranty,get an RMA
from samsung.You could try a different cable ,but your'e wasting your
time.It has two different lasers to read either dvd or cd.I have 3 dvd units
laying around that only read cd.
Time for new.

C.

Old January 20th 06, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

I recently found out that the problem I'm having isn't as rare as I
thought.
Some other people have had similar problems with their CD/DVD drives.

I'm getting a new CD/DVD drive, one that's not from SAMSUNG.

There are other people out there who are having different kinds of
problems with their SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F.
I type "SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F" on the Google search
engine, and instead of finding anywhere to buy a new one, I just see
reports of problems with it that apparently can ony be solved by
buying a new CD/DVD drive, and drives are expensive.
On the "Geeks To Go" forums, one person said that he's had a
serious problem with his SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F as soon as he bought
and installed it.
It doesn't show up in his "My Computer" window, and he
cannot get a disk to run.

If you have a SAMSUNG CDRW/DVD SM-352F, don't be surprised if you
start having problems with it.

Old January 7th 07, 01:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
EGD Eric

I've never had problems with my Samsung
CDRW/DVD SM-352F! I've been happily burning CDs with it for a long
time.

...until just recently. It can read CD's, DVDs, etc.. just can't WRITE
any CDs. argh! when I run roxio cd creator, and try to burn, it says
that there's no supported CD writers available. ??

For some reason, I have 2 'extra' DVD writers showing up on my system
that shouldn't be there. they don't exist. weird. I delete them, but
they always show up again whenever I reboot.

Get this: I just called tech-support, and the dude told me to download
this thing called: K-lite Codec pack. Said that that would burn CDs
just fine, "and if it doesn't work, just email me and I'll call
you back". I don't think this pack even has any CD writers in it.
Man, what are they paying these people?! $8/hour?

can someone reccomend a good replacement?

Old January 9th 07, 12:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

"EGD Eric" wrote in message
I've never had problems with my Samsung
CDRW/DVD SM-352F! I've been happily burning CDs with it for a long
time.

..until just recently. It can read CD's, DVDs, etc.. just can't WRITE
any CDs. argh! when I run roxio cd creator, and try to burn, it says
that there's no supported CD writers available. ??

What does Device Manager say about the drive, and the secondary IDE
controller? Try uninstalling the drivers, and re-installing them. Are you
using Windows XP?

For some reason, I have 2 'extra' DVD writers showing up on my system
that shouldn't be there. they don't exist. weird. I delete them, but
they always show up again whenever I reboot.

Try setting all the drives in the Bios (_that are not detected_) to AUTO.
That cured my problems.

Sylvain.

Get this: I just called tech-support, and the dude told me to download
this thing called: K-lite Codec pack. Said that that would burn CDs
just fine, "and if it doesn't work, just email me and I'll call
you back". I don't think this pack even has any CD writers in it.
Man, what are they paying these people?! $8/hour?

can someone reccomend a good replacement?

Only if you're sure that the old one is faulty. There is some software
called CDCheck.

Memory QVL Ðavïd Asus Motherboards 1 April 1st 05 07:26 AM
Epson C900 vs. Samsung CLP-500 Peter Boulton Printers 4 January 30th 05 03:12 PM
The cost of Bad Service: Samsung HDD: SP 1614N dt General 10 December 20th 04 09:54 PM
Can I replace my Samsung CDRW/DVD SN-308B Brian Reynolds Dell Computers 3 December 23rd 03 12:05 AM
Samsung (hard drives) 10 out of 10 for service Jason Arthurs UK Computer Vendors 2 December 3rd 03 11:29 PM