How come I still get low FPS in games with a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (replaced ATI Radeon 9800)?

Old December 1st 05, 01:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default How come I still get low FPS in games with a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (replaced ATI Radeon 9800)?

I replaced my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW card (128 MB) with a new XFX NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP). So far, I
have not been impressed with my games like World of Warcraft and Half-Life 2 (The Lost Coast). I have
everything enabled and cranked up at 1152x864 resolution (only have a 17" CRT monitor and using 75hz) on my
Athlon 64 3200+ system (754) with 1.5 GB of RAM. I do have the newest NVIDIA driver from NVIDIA's Web site.

Since I am the type of guy who likes to have all the graphics effects, I set anisotropic to the maximum and
highest quality. For example in World of Warcraft, I noticed new video options like 24-bit 4x multitextures or
whatever it was. My FPS was about 15-20 in Arathi Hills (outdoor) above Wetland area. Indoor is fine except
when things gets busy like in Ironforge where my FPS drop under 10 FPS. This is with anti-alias disabled that
I can live with.

Am I expecting too much from my video card upgrade? In some cases, it is the same performance and sometimes
slower. I haven't tried FEAR yet but I have a bad feeling it will be similiar. I saw benchmarks that showed
6800 was decently faster. I am not expecting 7800 GTX speed. I am not even running at super high resolution!

What am I missing? Do I have bottlenecks somewhere? I do not overclock nor want to. Thank you in advance.
--
At length, when they came to a (lowly) valley of ants, one of the ants said: "O ye ants, get into your habitations, lest Solomon and his hosts crush you (under foot) without knowing it." --Surah 27. The Ant, The Ants, line 18
/\___/\
( )
Old December 1st 05, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

In article , says...

Since I am the type of guy who likes to have all the graphics effects, I set anisotropic to the maximum and
highest quality. For example in World of Warcraft, I noticed new video options like 24-bit 4x multitextures or
whatever it was. My FPS was about 15-20 in Arathi Hills (outdoor) above Wetland area. Indoor is fine except
when things gets busy like in Ironforge where my FPS drop under 10 FPS. This is with anti-alias disabled that
I can live with.

Am I expecting too much from my video card upgrade? In some cases, it is the same performance and sometimes
slower. I haven't tried FEAR yet but I have a bad feeling it will be similiar. I saw benchmarks that showed
6800 was decently faster. I am not expecting 7800 GTX speed. I am not even running at super high resolution!

Now go off and look at the benchmarks for the cards with FSAA
enabled...
--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.
Old December 1st 05, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Conor wrote:
In article , says...

[...]

I already looked at both with and without FSAA.
Old December 1st 05, 08:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

wrote in message
et...
I replaced my ATI Radeon 9800 AIW card (128 MB) with a new XFX NVIDIA
GeForce 6800 (128 MB; AGP). So far, I
have not been impressed with my games like World of Warcraft and Half-Life
2 (The Lost Coast). I have

The plain vanilla 6800 is not a huge leap over a 9800 Pro. It's faster with
more bandwidth, but at moderate resolutions you don't tend to see much
framerate increases. Where you should see some gains is when you compare the
9800 Pro to the 6800 at 1155x864 with lots of AA/AF enabled. If you're not
getting this, it's likely you did not do a severe ATI driver cleanout before
installing. It's not enough to just uninstall the ATI drivers and then
install the Nvidia ones. You need to use a driver cleaner and then manually
delete all ATI registry entries as well as deleting all the related ATI
DLL's and other files.
When I upgraded a couple of years back from a GeForce2 GTS to a 9800 Pro I
just uninstalled the Nvidia drivers and installed the ATI Catalysts. I too
was underwhelmed by the initial experience. After manually deleting registry
entries, using a driver cleaner and then tracking down and deleting ATI
files and directories. After this, I saw a huge increase.

Old December 1st 05, 11:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

[...]

Which driver cleaner do you recommend to remove ATI left overs? And how much
improvement did you get? Like two times faster?
Old December 2nd 05, 12:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Which driver cleaner do you recommend to remove ATI left overs? And how
much
improvement did you get? Like two times faster?

Cleaning out the registry entries, using driver cleaner and deleting ATI
files increased the synthetic benchmarks and real games framerates by about
20% plus.

Old December 2nd 05, 02:34 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

1. Make sure the secondary monitor is disabled.
2. Make sure high-dynamic range rendering is disabled, if such an option is
available in the game.
3. ATi cards take a far smaller performance hit (percentage-wise) from
anisotropic filtering.

et...

Old December 2nd 05, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Augustus wrote:
Which driver cleaner do you recommend to remove ATI left overs? And how
much
improvement did you get? Like two times faster?

Cleaning out the registry entries, using driver cleaner and deleting ATI
files increased the synthetic benchmarks and real games framerates by about
20% plus.

Wow, that's impressive. I will try that. I hope I don't have to reinstall and reconfigure NVIDIA
driver when I use this tool.

Old December 2nd 05, 07:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

I'm in the middle of doing the same thing. I presently have an ATI
9800 Pro 128 ( not the AIW ), and in CoD2, my FPS are in the dirt
even at VGA settings. In Far Cry, I am able to run decently with
all Very High settings and AA set to 4x. My machine specs are
the same as yours. Right now, I'm testing an nVidia GF6800 pci-e
16 with latest driver. My FPS are considerably higher .. not just
a little higher. So I also ordered the XFX 6800 AGP ( good price ).

What may be causing your problem is ( and I'm pretty sure you
had to do this ) on your mobo, in order the get the ATI 9800 to
run at all, you should have disabled FastWrites and set AGP to
4x. I think the nVidia card can use the default settings ..
FastWrites ON, and AGP to 8x. Cleaning off the ATI drivers
.... just get the cleaner from ATI site ... is a good idea. I would
also clean the nVidia drivers and reinstall them too. No big
deal, just do it.

Another thing. nVidia doesn't trust us to know which settings
are optimum in games. For the games that nVidia is familiar
with, you get top settings by selecting the game default, and
letting the nVidia card whack unnecessarily high settings.
The card will actually turn off things that it can't use, and, if
you look closely, you will see that the graphics really look
good .. even if the settings appear to be mimimal.

johns

johns