Q: Why don't desktops us mobile cpus?

Old December 21st 05, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Default Q: Why don't desktops us mobile cpus?

"David Maynard" wrote in message
jaster wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 20:04:42 +0000, kony thoughtfully wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 18:26:01 GMT, jaster wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:00:20 +0000, kony thoughtfully wrote:

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 02:45:18 GMT, jaster wrote:

I know the motherboards are different but is there a reason why
desktop
computer aren't built to use mobile cpus?

Because mobile CPUs are usually optimized for low power consumption,
not performance. It matters far more when one needs it to run off a
battery.

Exactly why cpu and motherboard manufacturers should consider mobile
cpus.

Actually that is exactly why they wouldn't, because they're (desktops)
not
running off battery power the vast majority of the time.

I think you're stuck in a "it's a desktop stupid" line of thought.
Maybe
I should have asked why are there desktop cpus now that there are mobile
cpus. I think there is a huge market for desktops. Some people are
making laptops their next PC, some even buy docking stations and monitors
for their laptops. So if Intel/AMD stopped making "desktop" cpus and
only
manufactured "mobile" cpus what would be the loss?

Performance and cost.

Hmmm....are you talking the same spec machine, desktop Vs laptop, and there
will be a performance hit?
5 years ago I would have been in the same line of thinking, but today, I'm
inclined to say that there is little if any. Some of these tricked out
gaming LTs are unbelievably fast.

Old December 21st 05, 06:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Utter nonsense... have you even looked at a Laptop in 5 years?
Yup. Over the past 5 years I've purchased 36 IBM laptops. Even the newest
laptop we have runs slower then **** compared to any desktop in the
building.

What exactly was your point? Or do we even want to hear this one????

Old December 21st 05, 06:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Oh and what the **** are you talking about primary school? Are you the
one that posted:

"Duh, what's a "convo" ?? I shore knows how to critizize others spelang
neeerk."

Hum...it would seem you follow JAD around and stick up for him. Well,
maybe if you can take his dick out of your mouth long enough you can join
the CONVO below.

Now your showing your true age and mental state of mind........not that I
didn't figure it out long ago.

"Gargravarr" wrote in message
.. .
ISOHaven wrote:

snip

Your idiocity is very interesting!

Hahahaha, "idiocity". Now, there's a fine word? Did you *manage* to at
least drag your ass through primary school? Or, failing that, maybe you
went to school in "Y'all" land? You know, where you add a word a day to
your dictionary because you can't find the correct one that already
exists?

--

Gargravarr

"One of the major problems of time travel is... one of grammer."

**The Restaurant at the End of the Universe**

Old December 21st 05, 06:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

You sell technology at that price and you don't think someone would
capitalize on it......again DElusional

HOW THE HELL COULD THEY AFFORD THAT????????? That comment was meant to be
rediculous. But only someone as stupid as yourself didn't get it.

That is NOT what you said.....and I noticed , along with everyone else,
you didn't quote yourself...good job.

Actualy it was...ONLY YOU didn't understand it. ONLY YOU are confused. Why
would I quote myself? I was quoting you. I know what I said. YOU need to
quote ME. That's how it works moron.

Your joking right? They already have done this. octane levels (except
for aircraft) have been deminished dramatcally.

What the **** are you smoking??? I still see the same octane levels at the
gas station as I have for MANY MANY MANY years. I think only California has
lowered 92 to 91. Can anyone else confirm any other state? Hell, when I
run 1/4 miles I use 94 octane.

Dude ! you are completely out of the loop. laptops run those and MUCH
more. I use one for design. Adobe's In- DESIGN one of the LARGEST resource
consuming softwares produced, Along with Illustrator and premier.
You have just shown that your guessing at all of this.

No dip**** I have a brand new thinkpad right in front of me. I just opened
Outlook, SAP, Excel and Goldmine. Now when I want to do something as simple
as get tot he control panel it's taking FOREVER.

If you think for one second that a laptop can run all those apps of yours
BETTER or the SAME as a dekstop then you are DELUSIONAL!!!!!!!!!! The ****
you have in there for a hard drive ALONE will limit your productivity. Go
the **** away you snivaling no nothing idiot.

apps, graphics apps, SAP and windows itself and do it PRODUCTIVLY!!!! Do
you have any clue how many businesses run standard desktop machines? My
company can't afford what would be considered "workstation" level PCs.
We use hundreds of normal Intel desktop cpus. We have to run many apps
for our business. I don't care how expensive of a laptop I buy for our
sales guys they ALWAYS bitch and complain about how slow they are and
they can't run very many apps without it being an absolute bitch to work
on. Yet at the same time all our Pentium 4s run just fine.

Hey everyone this guy thinks Intel should just make one CPU and tell the
rest of the world to go to hell with their needs!!!! Is that about right
Mr. JAD?

Old December 21st 05, 06:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Once again your wisdom over shadows us all. I guess I should be grateful
you now have nothing better to say. Maybe now it can end. My true age!!!!
Oh...did I curse at you or something??? It helps me to get ride of my daily
stress. So thanks for channeling that for me. You've been great!

Old December 21st 05, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Ah ****...here we go again. I'm sure since you'll have nothing better to
say then you'll harp on that fact that I used NO instead of KNOW.
Well...beat ya to it...

Old December 21st 05, 06:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
I saw it and it had no baring on anything so I didn't comment. But since
you insist.

I just know you are going to love this!!!!

Actually, Celeron sales have been slowing declining so to use common
sense, NO most businesses are not using Celeron CPUs. Celeron sales,
while declining as a whole, are raising in the retail market showing that
Joe and Jane are buying cheaper and cheaper computers.

And since you "basically" call me a liar every time I post, this is from
Dataquest:

"The market share of Intel Celeron processors dropped down to 20.9%, while
it used to be around 27.2% a year ago. As for the Pentium 4 processors
share, it has grown from 36.4% up to 53.9%"

And what year is this from? I went to gartner and didnt find it easily, I
will however keep to looking as I want to congradulate you on your 1st
researched factoid.

Very good you actually backed up your stuff with fact(loosely) now go back
and do that with all the other 'opinons' that you farted out. See I told
you you have nothing to do, the ball was correct,, much work to do ..indeed.

"JAD" wrote in message
I see you completely dismissed the Celeron thing....later... your found
out.

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Wow. You either have nothing better to do or you have completely run
out of BS from the tangent you created above. At first the only crappy
part of this thread was the BS you stared early on, now you are leeching
through the rest of it to cause BS everywhere else. What the hell your
deal man? Is your life that pathetic?

If you followed the industry at all then you would pick up on little
bits of info here and there and one of those bits of info that a higher
percentage of people BUY their computer as a whole then the percentage
that builds their own. Then there's the fun percentages that show you
how many people simply build a machine and how many actually supercharge
them.

What do you want me to do? Apologize for knowing something you don't?
Wow, talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

"JAD" wrote in message

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
"Yes why aren't they making hybrid engines. And not many people raise
a stink when Ford or GM stop producing a specific model. "
I think cars was a bad idea here. You show me a hybrid engine that
can tow my boat and I'll BUILD you all the Pentium M baord you want!
There are cars for every person and every task. You can't have just
one car. Ok, keep reading below...

"You keep ranting about powerful cpus and missing the point about
manufacturing 2 cpu types for the same consumers home/office
non-mobile vs. mobile."
1. NO! I'm talking about manufactures making 2 cpus types. High
power (business) and low power (home). IT'S YOU that wants them to
make a third low low low power model.

Most buisnesses use celeron based rigs....is that high power or low, oh
wonderful wizard of all things CPU

2. You have mentioned before you want to see Intel make just ONE
processor and dump the rest. Or did you finaly drop that senerio?

"The NGs are unique because NG groupies are more PC savvy than Joe or
Jane Average."
You keep talking about Joe and Jane. Dude, Joe and JAne buy thier PCs
from Best Buy. Your Pentium M Solution will only be pennies cheaper
if that.

Now your an expert on the average PC buyer...................damn dude
your an egomaniac

"jaster" wrote in message
news On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:21:08 -0800, ISOHaven thoughtfully wrote:

Then buy a laptop! Your point still eludes me.

If you put a mobile processor in a DESKTOP case with DESKTOP
components
you will NOT save anything. You wont save power and you wont save
money. Not enough to force manufactures to create MORE PRODUCT then
they
already are producing.

You keep responding with the same thing. I DON'T NEED THAT MUCH
COMPUTING POWER. Yet you keep failing to answer the same question
that
people keep asking you. Even though sometimes it was a "round
about"
point.

What are you trying to GAIN by doing this?

"Maybe I should have asked why are there desktop cpus now that there
are
mobile cpus"
Sorry, but that's a silly question. So I guess now that we have
hybrid
cars why are we still making and buying gas cars?

Yes why aren't they making hybrid engines. And not many people raise
a stink when Ford or GM stop producing a specific model.

Or maybe EVERY car
company should make only Kia Rio's? I think the real problem here
is
you are unaware of the statistics of the average PC user. You seem
think the average user doesn't need any power. I think you are
wrong.
More businesses use computers then home users so Intel STILL needs
make powerful cpu's so like you where told before, why should they
make
twice as many cpu's just because you want them to? I think Intel
has a
pretty good handle on the market and I think they know a little more
about what they should or shouldn't do then you.

I was in a Forbes 50 corporation and they never bought bleeding edge
computers just slightly above average computers when they had to
replace
aging equipment every 2-3 yrs. A friend of mine just bought one
out-of-date powerful company computer for his daughter, PII 450,
384ram,
20g hd, cdrom. Yep real powerful.

"So if Intel/AMD stopped making "desktop" cpus and only manufactured
"mobile" cpus what would be the loss?" Actually the real question
would
be, what would be the gain? Also maybe YOU don't give a damn about
power (horsepower) but many of us do so I would kindly appreciate it
if
you NEVER become the world dominator on cpu's and take away my
consumer
right to have a very powerful system just because you are on some
green
peace trip.

Buy an IBM, Sparc or Amdahl for all I care. You keep ranting about
powerful cpus and missing the point about manufacturing 2 cpu types
for
the same consumers home/office non-mobile vs. mobile.

If IBM and AMD dropped the "desktop" cpus and only manufactured
"mobile"
cpus no one would care as long as the cpus perform. The NGs are
unique
because NG groupies are more PC savvy than Joe or Jane Average.
The hardware NG groupies know more about hardware than some tech
support people and pay more attention to components. Even so not to
many are dropping $1000 every 6 mo. just to get the newest cpu or
graphics
card.

Old December 21st 05, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Oh, well...thanks for your approval. But you can stick it where the sun
don't shine. That was for your benifit and it wont happen again.

Notice you are the only one here bitching about my actions? Well you and
that other guy that has given ZERO input other then sticking up for you.

"JAD" wrote in message
news

Old December 21st 05, 06:42 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Utter nonsense... have you even looked at a Laptop in 5 years?

Yup. Over the past 5 years I've purchased 36 IBM laptops. Even the
newest laptop we have runs slower then **** compared to any desktop in the
building.

What exactly was your point? Or do we even want to hear this one????

One freaking brand and your the expert? The POINT is that LT's are able to
run OFFICE APPS moron, and have for years now. Won't run OUTLOOK? GAWD that
is ridiculous.I think your business needs a new admin. And from your prior
post of how 'your' company can't afford workstations, I can just imagine the
laptops you purchased.

Still nothing to do eh? Where's that 'work' that needed doing?

Old December 21st 05, 06:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

I never said it wont run Outlook. It wont run ALL the MENTIONED APPs at the
SAME TIME....PRODUCTIVELY.

Damn you are stupid!

"JAD" wrote in message

"ISOHaven" wrote in message
Utter nonsense... have you even looked at a Laptop in 5 years?

Yup. Over the past 5 years I've purchased 36 IBM laptops. Even the
newest laptop we have runs slower then **** compared to any desktop in
the building.

What exactly was your point? Or do we even want to hear this one????

One freaking brand and your the expert? The POINT is that LT's are able to
run OFFICE APPS moron, and have for years now. Won't run OUTLOOK? GAWD
that is ridiculous.I think your business needs a new admin. And from your
prior post of how 'your' company can't afford workstations, I can just
imagine the laptops you purchased.

Still nothing to do eh? Where's that 'work' that needed doing?

Tuning NF7-S and Athlon Mobile 2600+ for images and audio / low energy use [email protected] Overclocking AMD Processors 7 March 22nd 05 04:24 PM
Mobile desktops? Veritech Overclocking 2 February 7th 05 10:04 PM
Gigabyte GA-8IDML with mobile CPU? Cuzman Overclocking 1 December 8th 04 08:20 PM
AMD MObile CPUs? Krell Overclocking 3 April 12th 04 03:56 PM
Different mobile processors??? Henry Intel 7 September 16th 03 12:48 AM