P5K "overclocking failed" boot error

Old May 10th 08, 09:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
»Q«

Default P5K "overclocking failed" boot error

ASUS P5K mainboard
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
2 x 1 GiB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC-6400) DIMMs

Twice this morning I got an "overclocking failed" message at boot, but
I'm not overclocking. The third boot went ok, but I'm wondering what's
happening.

The FSB is set at 333 and the multiplier is 8, so the E6750 is running
at its specification, 2.66 GHz.

The Corsair memory is also running at spec, 800. It does require
upping the voltage to 2.1 to get its advertised timings at 800 MHz.

In the jumperless config settings, I have everything set to auto except
the FSB, the memory clock, the memory voltage, and the memory timings,
and those are all set manually to the right specifications.

Any idea what may have caused the "overclocking failed" error?
Old May 10th 08, 11:19 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Kent_Diego[_2_]

Twice this morning I got an "overclocking failed" message at boot, but
I'm not overclocking. The third boot went ok, but I'm wondering what's
happening.
Any idea what may have caused the "overclocking failed" error?

Something went wrong at boot. I just saw that message when a power supply
got flaky on one computer. The fans would spin up for a second then quit. I
just upgraded some RAM in an other and did not have the RAM seated correctly
and got the overclocking failed message too. If it never happens again
that's great. If it starts getting worse expect your power supply to be on
the way out. Try re-seating RAM too.

Old May 11th 08, 12:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
~misfit~[_3_]

Somewhere on teh intarweb "»Q«" typed:
ASUS P5K mainboard
Core 2 Duo E6750 @ 2.66 GHz
2 x 1 GiB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (PC-6400) DIMMs

Twice this morning I got an "overclocking failed" message at boot, but
I'm not overclocking. The third boot went ok, but I'm wondering
what's happening.

The FSB is set at 333 and the multiplier is 8, so the E6750 is running
at its specification, 2.66 GHz.

The Corsair memory is also running at spec, 800. It does require
upping the voltage to 2.1 to get its advertised timings at 800 MHz.

In the jumperless config settings, I have everything set to auto
except the FSB, the memory clock, the memory voltage, and the memory
timings, and those are all set manually to the right specifications.

Any idea what may have caused the "overclocking failed" error?

Set the vcore to manual and put it at something like 1.3V, see if that fixes
it.

Actually, if your BIOS isn't the latest stable version update that first. I
had problems similar to yours when I first got my P5K-E WiFi/AP (and I have
an 8-phase CPU power circuit compared to your 3-phase). It turned out to be
the mobo not feeding enough voltage to the CPU. I had to raise the vcore in
BIOS but later BIOS versions fixed the problem.

Good luck.
--
Shaun.

Old May 12th 08, 01:02 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
»Q«

"Kent_Diego" wrote:

Twice this morning I got an "overclocking failed" message at boot,
but I'm not overclocking. The third boot went ok, but I'm
wondering what's happening.
Any idea what may have caused the "overclocking failed" error?

Something went wrong at boot. I just saw that message when a power
supply got flaky on one computer. The fans would spin up for a second
then quit. I just upgraded some RAM in an other and did not have the
RAM seated correctly and got the overclocking failed message too. If
it never happens again that's great. If it starts getting worse
expect your power supply to be on the way out. Try re-seating RAM
too.

Thanks to all for the replies. I've saved them in case it happens
again. It hasn't happened again, thankfully.

I've made sure all the connections in the case are tight now, which
needed doing anyway. Some of them were loose after I had to install a
floppy temporarily a couple of weeks ago. I'd done it in a hurry and
was frustrated at the time, so I was kind of ham-fisted about it. Maybe
it was just a problem with hardware detection thanks to a bad
connection.