Power LED

Old April 17th 04, 04:18 AM
Bill

Kony
I found some cab files that look like what you have told me. Before I
reinstall Winme what do you think of me putting the hard drive from the
computer that's not working right in my 586 which has a working CD Drive and
copying all the files from the Mother Board Drivers disk that came with the
new mother board and then swap it back and try to install all the mother
board drivers that way? I did find another way to change the video driver
but everyone I try the monitor goes blank and I have to reboot. Could this
mean my video card is bad? Thanks.
Bill
kony wrote in message
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:14:07 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Hi Kony
I forgot to tell you what my power supply is. I have an ANTEC 350 watt
ATX12V. I have an ATA card that came with the 160 ghz hard drive

installed.
Both hard drives work. I will do some searches using google and MS and

also
the links you gave. After my 1ghz computer went bad I had to go back to

my
old 586 and it's so slow it drives me crazy. Is there a site that

explains
the Register in detail? Thanks for the help and suggestions.
Bill

Try attaching the hard drive to the motherboard's IDE, providing it's not
a RAID 0 array.

I don't know of any sites that explain the registry in detail, at least
not to the extent you'd need.

Did you ever figure out to what extent the WinME installation files were
on your hard drive? The majority of those files are named by the scheme
"Win_nn.CAB", with "nn" being a single or double digit number, plus a few
"DRIVERn.CAB" files, assorted other *.CAB files, a few *.INF, *.TXT, and a
"SETUP.EXE" or "OEMSETUP.EXE", plus misc. other files. If you have all
the needed files you can dump them into a folder (if not onto CDR since
your optical drive(s) aren't working) and try reinstalling WinME overtop
of itself (into the same folder) from DOS.

Old April 17th 04, 09:45 AM
kony

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 03:18:07 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Kony
I found some cab files that look like what you have told me. Before I
reinstall Winme

The issue wasn't that there were some, but if they were ALL there...
having cabs isn't enough to reinstall without the other installation
files, which would probably be in same folder if there at all.

what do you think of me putting the hard drive from the
computer that's not working right in my 586 which has a working CD Drive and
copying all the files from the Mother Board Drivers disk that came with the
new mother board and then swap it back and try to install all the mother
board drivers that way?

Offhand it sounds like a good idea except that I doubt the 586 box can
support the hard drive capacity. This is winme so the hard drive has
fat32 filesystem, you can boot to dos with a boot floppy, one with cdrom
support, and copy the files to HDD. It's a bit more tedious but you don't
really need all drivers on the hard drive, perhaps mainly the motherboard
chipset driver and a network card driver (if applicable), and/or a USB
thumbdrive driver if you have a flash memory thumbdrive, though if the
only other system is a 586 I suppose you don't have a way to get the files
on the thumbdrive in the first place.

I did find another way to change the video driver
but everyone I try the monitor goes blank and I have to reboot. Could this
mean my video card is bad? Thanks.
Bill

You'd have to reboot anyway but not from a blank screen. I doubt that the
video card has any problems, it was working fine before you started
changing over the system, right? Main problem still seems to be a windows
instability, that crashing during the Add Hardware Wizard, and I'm about
out of ideas on how to resolve that, particularly without the system in
front of me (a lot of this type of thing seems to get done almost
subconscously here, it's easier to do the troubleshooting than to describe
a process without the system in front of me for inspiration).

I'm about out of ideas though, which was why I mentioned checking for
presence of the WinME setup files for a reinstall (into same folder
windows is currently installed in when the setup program prompts).
Old April 19th 04, 08:45 PM
Bill

Sorry Kony sometimes I have to read posts several times to understand. It's
not you it's me. I found in c:\windows\options\cabs the following. win_9.cab
thru win_22.cab and win_ol.cab, driver5.cab thru driver7.cab, msbatch.inf,
oem_set.inf, pcmica.inf, subase.inf, setup.txt, setup.exe and pchsetup.exe.
So I guess they are all there.
Now exactly how do I reinstall WinME over top of, or clean?
Bill
news

Old April 19th 04, 10:00 PM
CBFalconer

Bill wrote:

Sorry Kony sometimes I have to read posts several times to understand.
It's not you it's me. I found in c:\windows\options\cabs the
following. win_9.cab thru win_22.cab and win_ol.cab, driver5.cab thru
driver7.cab, msbatch.inf, oem_set.inf, pcmica.inf, subase.inf,
setup.txt, setup.exe and pchsetup.exe. So I guess they are all there.
Now exactly how do I reinstall WinME over top of, or clean?

Don't top-post please. I suspect you have found some of the
original files from W95, not WinME. Check their dates, or the
dates of the embedded files.

For example, here is the .cab file list for W98 FE

c:\ls -w65 \orig\win98\*.cab
/orig/win98/base4.cab /orig/win98/win98_35.cab
/orig/win98/base5.cab /orig/win98/win98_36.cab
/orig/win98/base6.cab /orig/win98/win98_37.cab
/orig/win98/catalog3.cab /orig/win98/win98_38.cab
/orig/win98/chl99.cab /orig/win98/win98_39.cab
/orig/win98/driver11.cab /orig/win98/win98_40.cab
/orig/win98/driver12.cab /orig/win98/win98_41.cab
/orig/win98/driver13.cab /orig/win98/win98_42.cab
/orig/win98/driver14.cab /orig/win98/win98_43.cab
/orig/win98/driver15.cab /orig/win98/win98_44.cab
/orig/win98/driver16.cab /orig/win98/win98_45.cab
/orig/win98/driver17.cab /orig/win98/win98_46.cab
/orig/win98/driver18.cab /orig/win98/win98_47.cab
/orig/win98/driver19.cab /orig/win98/win98_48.cab
/orig/win98/driver20.cab /orig/win98/win98_49.cab
/orig/win98/driver21.cab /orig/win98/win98_50.cab
/orig/win98/mini.cab /orig/win98/win98_51.cab
/orig/win98/net10.cab /orig/win98/win98_52.cab
/orig/win98/net7.cab /orig/win98/win98_53.cab
/orig/win98/net8.cab /orig/win98/win98_54.cab
/orig/win98/net9.cab /orig/win98/win98_55.cab
/orig/win98/precopy1.cab /orig/win98/win98_56.cab
/orig/win98/precopy2.cab /orig/win98/win98_57.cab
/orig/win98/win98_22.cab /orig/win98/win98_58.cab
/orig/win98/win98_23.cab /orig/win98/win98_59.cab
/orig/win98/win98_24.cab /orig/win98/win98_60.cab
/orig/win98/win98_25.cab /orig/win98/win98_61.cab
/orig/win98/win98_26.cab /orig/win98/win98_62.cab
/orig/win98/win98_27.cab /orig/win98/win98_63.cab
/orig/win98/win98_28.cab /orig/win98/win98_64.cab
/orig/win98/win98_29.cab /orig/win98/win98_65.cab
/orig/win98/win98_30.cab /orig/win98/win98_66.cab
/orig/win98/win98_31.cab /orig/win98/win98_67.cab
/orig/win98/win98_32.cab /orig/win98/win98_68.cab
/orig/win98/win98_33.cab /orig/win98/win98_69.cab
/orig/win98/win98_34.cab

--
A: Because it fouls the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old April 19th 04, 10:40 PM
kony

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:45:08 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Sorry Kony sometimes I have to read posts several times to understand. It's
not you it's me. I found in c:\windows\options\cabs the following. win_9.cab
thru win_22.cab and win_ol.cab, driver5.cab thru driver7.cab, msbatch.inf,
oem_set.inf, pcmica.inf, subase.inf, setup.txt, setup.exe and pchsetup.exe.
So I guess they are all there.
Now exactly how do I reinstall WinME over top of, or clean?

If you have another drive or partition with sufficient free space, the
first thing i'd do is copy those files into a folder named "win9x", as the
original folder containing those files (on a WinME installation CD) would
be named. Later on, when system is working again, you might want to also
put that folder on a CDR, one made bootable with EasyCD or Nero (or
whichever burning app came with a CDRW drive) using the WinME boot disk I
linked to below for the boot image, or perhaps a Google search might find
an even better boot image for a WinME bootable CDR. That way you have a
method of installing the OS clean in the future without having to be
concerned about whether you have the files... though it's good to make
more than one copy if you need rely on that backup and with CDRs somewhat
volatile as they age.

You may (likely) need the License Key, which might be a sticker affixed to
the bezel (perhaps behind a door or bay cover) or on the rear of the unit.
Be sure you have that before proceeding with an (re) installation.

1st try should be reinstalling ME overtop of itself, that is, just running
the setup program from Windows (IF it will run), then specifying to
install to the same folder as previously used. If it won't run from
within Windows then boot to a DOS floppy and run from command line. For
example if the files were copied to a D: drive or partition the command
line would be (using the copied-over, newly created folder name I
suggested above):

D:\win9x\setup.exe

That is if I remember correctly that it's still "setup.exe" for your
situation. If that doesn't work then replace "setup.exe" above with
"oemsetup.exe".

Prior to doing that you might want to make a backup of the partition, if
possible. At the very least you ought to backup the registry, which can
be done by copying the "user.dat" and "system.dat" files to somewhere,
anywhere other than the windows folder, or if you ended up wanting to do a
clean install after formatting the partition, then of course back them up
to a different partition. Since there's the possiblity of wanting or
needing to do a clean install you might want to have more than just a DOS
boot disk as I mentioned above, rather a Win98SE or WinME boot disk, or
whatever you can find that also has format.com on it. There are a number
of boot disks at http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm
Old April 19th 04, 10:45 PM
kony

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:00:04 GMT, CBFalconer wrote:

snip

I suspect you have found some of the
original files from W95, not WinME. Check their dates, or the
dates of the embedded files.

For example, here is the .cab file list for W98 FE

c:\ls -w65 \orig\win98\*.cab
/orig/win98/base4.cab /orig/win98/win98_35.cab
/orig/win98/driver11.cab /orig/win98/win98_40.cab
/orig/win98/win98_22.cab /orig/win98/win98_58.cab

For the most part the WinME files do look quite similar to those of Win98,
though the core system files in Win98 have names like "Win98_22.cab" while
in WinME the're lower numbers and without the "98", like "Win_15.cab"

Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Computer doesnt start at all Robin General 6 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
power problems gregork General 4 December 28th 03 11:45 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM