Power LED

Old April 6th 04, 07:58 PM
Bill

I don't have a WinME Disk. This computer came with WinME already installed.
All I have is a recovery disk and a driver resource disk. My Cd Drive is
not working so I can't copy from the disks to my hard drive anyway. Will I
run into any trouble this way?
Bill
kony wrote in message
On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:42:28 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Yes that is exactly what I did and what I want to do. Before I clear out
anything, I failed to mention that I tried to use Add New Hardware in
Control Panel and it wouldn't run. Is that because of the new Mother

Board?
How do I clear out everything? Thanks.

Unless you have something very unusual, an old legacy device that's not
Plug-n-play compatible, you probably won't need to use "add new hardware"
at all.

If you have software specific to the odd motherboard loading at boot, for
example a hardware monitor (temp, voltage, etc) type program then disable
that from loading at the next opportunity. Add/Remove programs (or
whatever method is applicable) can be used, and while in Add/remove
programs, uninstall any drivers/etc appearing there that were specific to
the other motherboard, including chipset drivers.

Then the easiest method to clear out old hardware entries is to delete a
subkey from the registry. Use REGEDIT to highlight the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM key, and delete it.
Here is an example:
http://69.36.189.159/hklm_enum.gif

After doing this you "may" need to recreate a registry key to get a newer
WDM-type sound card working. If that's the case then merge the following
file into the registry... filename suggests Win98 but the two OS aren't
that different.
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/Win98_WDM_Sound.reg

After deleting that registry key you'll be rebooting the system, letting
it redetect hardware and installing drivers. It's beneficial to have the
WinME installation files as well as hardware drivers available on the hard
drive, in the beginning you may not have access to an optical drive.
Later drivers like video, sound, modem, etc, do not have to be on the hard
drive.

So after a few hardware detections you'll reboot a few times, and then go
into Device Manager and delete any duplicate devices where one of the two
has an exclaimation mark... after rebooting again the correct device will
be redetected. Basically you'll just be rebooting several times and
letting windows do it's Plug-N-Play thing, pointing it to any drivers it
can't find. After the machine has finished detecting all hardware, don't
forget to install the motherboard chipset driver(s).

Old April 6th 04, 10:23 PM
kony

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 18:58:17 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

I don't have a WinME Disk. This computer came with WinME already installed.
All I have is a recovery disk and a driver resource disk. My Cd Drive is
not working so I can't copy from the disks to my hard drive anyway. Will I
run into any trouble this way?
Bill

I advise you to get an optical drive. Sooner or later you'll need it,
might as well get that taken care of. I assume you mean the cd drive had
previously failed, is "broken". If I'm misunderstanding, that the drive
is simply not working because of the new motherboard, then hope that the
files are already on your hard drive. If they're not and you had a
regular OEM or retail WInME installation CD you could've booted to DOS
with a boot floppy or the CD and copied those files to the hard drive, but
with most OEM restoreable images they're in a password protected
compressed format that's not user restorable except using the OEM's
complete reinstall process, not what you want to do as you'll end up right
where you are now, needing to convert it to the new motherboard.

Search your hard drive for *.cab files.... the WinME installation CD
would've had a "win9x" folder on it with the installation files. It's
quite likely the majority if not all of those files are already on your
hard drive, perhaps in a WINDOWS/OPTIONS folder. A search for files named
"*.cab" might find them. If the system prompts for the windows CD during
the process of plug-n-playing the new hardware, you would need to point
(browse in the wizard) to that folder with the CAB files in it. It's
likely windows already has a record (in the registry) of where these files
are, but it would be preferred to know for sure beforehand, if it is
necessary to point the add hardware wizard to their location.
Old April 7th 04, 03:44 AM
Bill

The CD and DVD drives are not working because of the mother board. Both hard
drives, my CD drive and my DVD drive show up in Bios but not in Device
Manager. I don't understand that. The on board USBs, Parallel Port and PCI
slots are not working. I don't understand that. I thought everything built
into the mother board would initialize. I know I do have some CAB files on
my hard disk so I'll see if I can find Win 9x.. Thanks.
Bill

Old April 7th 04, 06:33 AM
kony

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 02:44:25 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

The CD and DVD drives are not working because of the mother board. Both hard
drives, my CD drive and my DVD drive show up in Bios but not in Device
Manager. I don't understand that. The on board USBs, Parallel Port and PCI
slots are not working. I don't understand that. I thought everything built
into the mother board would initialize. I know I do have some CAB files on
my hard disk so I'll see if I can find Win 9x.. Thanks.
Bill

You may not have a folder named "win9x" but still all (or at least the
files needed) of the files that are in it. When the OEM restoration image
is used, generally they do copy the setup files to the drive because quite
often when basic system configuration changes are made those files will be
accessed... perhaps transparently to the user since there is no
intervention needed for it to happen.

It is expected that you won't have access to optical drives or other misc.
motherboard features until you get the old motherboard's registry entries
removed and reboot a time or two (or three). That's not a sign of a
problem but rather typical.

The odds are that all you need to do is as I first mentioned, deleting
that registry subkey and then later if sound doesn't work, merging the
registry file I linked. After deleting that it's just a matter of
rebooting. If you can't boot the system to regular mode to accomplish
this then boot it to safe mode. With Win98 you can hit F8 key right
after the BIOS enumeration screen to get to a boot menu when safe mode can
be chosen... I don't recall for certain but think the procedure is the
same for WinME. However that (booting to safe mode) is only needed that
first time prior to deleting the registry subkey, should not be necessary
afterwards.

If you like you can make a backup of that key just prior to deleting it...
with it highlighted just use the menu command "file"-"Export..." and name
it, save it wherever you want. Then it's simple enough to later merge
that file back if necessary.

Old April 7th 04, 10:52 AM
Zilog Jones

"Bill" wrote in message ...
I don't have a WinME Disk. This computer came with WinME already installed.
All I have is a recovery disk and a driver resource disk. My Cd Drive is
not working so I can't copy from the disks to my hard drive anyway. Will I
run into any trouble this way?
Bill

I know this sounds like one of those unhelpful-annoying-*******
replies, but seriously, WinME is a hideous mess of an opertaing system
and it's probably better that you don't have the CD. Though saying
that my experience with Win98 was not great either. I would *HIGHLY*
recommend trying getting hold of Windows 2000 (and service pack 4, or
at least 3) - I got it last year and haven't once had a problem with
it (outside of Win95 programs not working, buggy freeware and my
idiocy) - I can barely remember what a BSOD looks like!

Old April 7th 04, 08:40 PM
CBFalconer

Zilog Jones wrote:
"Bill" wrote in message

I don't have a WinME Disk. This computer came with WinME already
installed. All I have is a recovery disk and a driver resource
disk. My Cd Drive is not working so I can't copy from the disks
to my hard drive anyway. Will I run into any trouble this way?

I know this sounds like one of those unhelpful-annoying-*******
replies, but seriously, WinME is a hideous mess of an opertaing
system and it's probably better that you don't have the CD.
Though saying that my experience with Win98 was not great either.
I would *HIGHLY* recommend trying getting hold of Windows 2000
(and service pack 4, or at least 3) - I got it last year and
haven't once had a problem with it (outside of Win95 programs not
working, buggy freeware and my idiocy) - I can barely remember
what a BSOD looks like!

I believe that once he gets the service pack he has to accept the
unholy EULA, which allows Micro$loth to invade his privacy,
destroy his system, insist on future upgrades and concomicant
payments (to Micro$loth, of course), etc. One way to avoid all
this is to stick with what he has, or any available earlier than
2000 versions. Another is to switch to some variety of Linux.

--
fix (vb.): 1. to paper over, obscure, hide from public view; 2.
to work around, in a way that produces unintended consequences

Old April 7th 04, 10:49 PM
kony

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 17:56:41 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

OK Kony do you mean to delete this whole line HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM or
just ENUM?
Bill

Just ENUM. Highlight "ENUM" then delete it.

Old April 9th 04, 04:07 AM
Bill

OK. I deleted NUM key. When I restarted my computer went to safe mode.
Message came up that video adapter needed to be installed. Wizard starded
and then locked up so I put Old NUM back in reg. I have an ATI Rage Fury
video card in the AGP slot. Could this give me trouble? There might be some
questions you might want to ask me to be sure I telling you every thing you
need to know about my system.
Bill

Old April 9th 04, 08:24 AM
kony

On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 04:06:14 GMT, kony wrote:

Now you need to delete the ENUM key and start again.

Also I either mentioned (think I did) or meant to mention, that after a
few reboots you'll need to go into device manager and for all duplicate
entries (multiple entries for same type of device) where one of them has
an exclaimation mark, delete those entries, then reboot. It's common for
the video, keyboard, and one or two other items to need their entries
deleted towards the end. What happens is that windows fist detects the
device as a generic one then later can't initialize the more specific
driver, so when you delete them that will happen on the next reboot. You
don't need to do that until after almost all other items have been
detected, not after each reboot.

Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Computer doesnt start at all Robin General 6 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
power problems gregork General 4 December 28th 03 11:45 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM