Power LED

Old April 4th 04, 08:01 AM
Last Boy Scout

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 20:06:44 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

No, but if the Hard drive gets no power it will not light up. If the
hard drive LED Leads are backward it may not light up.

Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.
William

Old April 4th 04, 10:23 PM
ric

Noozer wrote:

Try putting your Power LED across the +5v and ground jumpers on your jumper
block.

Then it would just be "a LED", not the "Power LED." And it would not be
shorted for long. It would soon be open.

Of course that's the the right place for it, but it will definately stop the
PC from booting up!

Only momentarily. g
Old April 4th 04, 10:30 PM
ric

kony wrote:

How would a shorted "Power" LED prevent the MB from initializing?

Don't know, was why I wrote it in the form of "what if". Doesn't the LED
get controlled by the chipset due to multiple states of power management?
It's not just a connection to the power plane through a resistor, AFAIK,
so it's not an issue of the power supply lines being shorted regardless of
the LED resistor, it would be a logical issue, IF it's an issue.

No matter, it would have a dropping resistor in series with it. If the
LED shorted, the dropping resistor would just have the additional ~2v
across it. I doubt that the chipset would even be aware of it.
Old April 5th 04, 07:02 PM
Bill

Thanks to all. I did unplug all leads from front panel connector except for
the power on switch. Computer comes on now. I just installed a new Mother
board is the reason for the question. However, even though the system boots
up and goes to winME my PCI cards don't work, my CDRW drive, DVD drive don't
show up in My Computer and my primary HD and my second HD is in Dos
compatibly mode. Probably something in BIOS I don't have set correctly. Can
anyone help? Thanks.

Bill

Ralph Mowery wrote in message
The LED has a current limiting resistor otherwise the LED would be
destroyed once power were applied. LEDs operate with about 8 ma. It is
very unlikely that even if an LED were shorted that it would prevent the
power supply from starting up due to this limiting of the current for
the LED. I don't like people who feel they must correct posters when
they make an error, but I thought you might want to know about this

fact.

I am well aware of the way a LED operates. I work as an instrument

mechanic
in a very large factory. I deal with most aspects of electricity and
electronics from computers to 480 3 phase circuits at 600 amps.

I was thinking of the whole LED system from the plug out. I did see one
computer where some wires going to the led was shorted and there was

enough
current to heat up and burn the insulaton off the wires.

Old April 5th 04, 09:33 PM
kony

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 18:02:05 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Thanks to all. I did unplug all leads from front panel connector except for
the power on switch. Computer comes on now.

I just installed a new Mother board is the reason for the question.

However, even though the system boots
up and goes to winME my PCI cards don't work, my CDRW drive, DVD drive don't
show up in My Computer and my primary HD and my second HD is in Dos
compatibly mode. Probably something in BIOS I don't have set correctly. Can
anyone help? Thanks.

Bill

To clarify, you had the system running WinME, then swapped the motherboard
and are trying to continue using the same installation of WinME?

If so, you need to clear out the Plug-N-Played hardware from the previous
board, have Windows redetect the current board's hardware, then delete any
duplicate flagged entries in Device Manager and install chipset driver(s).

The above is the condensed description, since it's not clear yet that this
is what you're wanting/needing to do.

Old April 6th 04, 03:42 AM
Bill

Yes that is exactly what I did and what I want to do. Before I clear out
anything, I failed to mention that I tried to use Add New Hardware in
Control Panel and it wouldn't run. Is that because of the new Mother Board?
How do I clear out everything? Thanks.
Bill

Old April 6th 04, 04:52 AM
kony

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 02:42:28 GMT, "Bill"
wrote:

Yes that is exactly what I did and what I want to do. Before I clear out
anything, I failed to mention that I tried to use Add New Hardware in
Control Panel and it wouldn't run. Is that because of the new Mother Board?
How do I clear out everything? Thanks.

Unless you have something very unusual, an old legacy device that's not
Plug-n-play compatible, you probably won't need to use "add new hardware"
at all.

If you have software specific to the odd motherboard loading at boot, for
example a hardware monitor (temp, voltage, etc) type program then disable
that from loading at the next opportunity. Add/Remove programs (or
whatever method is applicable) can be used, and while in Add/remove
programs, uninstall any drivers/etc appearing there that were specific to
the other motherboard, including chipset drivers.

Then the easiest method to clear out old hardware entries is to delete a
subkey from the registry. Use REGEDIT to highlight the
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ENUM key, and delete it.
Here is an example:
http://69.36.189.159/hklm_enum.gif

After doing this you "may" need to recreate a registry key to get a newer
WDM-type sound card working. If that's the case then merge the following
file into the registry... filename suggests Win98 but the two OS aren't
that different.
http://69.36.189.159/usr_1034/Win98_WDM_Sound.reg

After deleting that registry key you'll be rebooting the system, letting
it redetect hardware and installing drivers. It's beneficial to have the
WinME installation files as well as hardware drivers available on the hard
drive, in the beginning you may not have access to an optical drive.
Later drivers like video, sound, modem, etc, do not have to be on the hard
drive.

So after a few hardware detections you'll reboot a few times, and then go
into Device Manager and delete any duplicate devices where one of the two
has an exclaimation mark... after rebooting again the correct device will
be redetected. Basically you'll just be rebooting several times and
letting windows do it's Plug-N-Play thing, pointing it to any drivers it
can't find. After the machine has finished detecting all hardware, don't
forget to install the motherboard chipset driver(s).

Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Computer doesnt start at all Robin General 6 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
power problems gregork General 4 December 28th 03 11:45 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM