Power LED

Old April 3rd 04, 09:06 PM
Bill

Default Power LED

Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.
William

Old April 3rd 04, 09:15 PM
Jan Alter

No, it shouldn't be a factor at all.

--
Jan Alter

or

news

Old April 3rd 04, 10:12 PM
ric

Bill wrote:

Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.

Unless it is wired weird (in series with an output or PS_ON circuit), no.
Old April 3rd 04, 11:05 PM
Noozer

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.

If you put it in the wrong place you can short something out.

Old April 3rd 04, 11:20 PM
ElJerid

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.
William

No, but a bad power supply will keep a led from coming on....

Old April 4th 04, 12:28 AM

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.
William

As always it depends. If it is bad because it is shorted then it will keep
the suppply from comming on. If it is open then no it will not , if it is
plugged in backwards it will not , if it is plugged in where it shouldn't
then maybe yes or no. Just unplug it if it is plugged into anything and see
what hapends.
The computer does not need it to run.

The LED has a current limiting resistor otherwise the LED would be
destroyed once power were applied. LEDs operate with about 8 ma. It is
very unlikely that even if an LED were shorted that it would prevent the
power supply from starting up due to this limiting of the current for
the LED. I don't like people who feel they must correct posters when
they make an error, but I thought you might want to know about this fact.

Old April 4th 04, 03:00 AM
Ralph Mowery

The LED has a current limiting resistor otherwise the LED would be
destroyed once power were applied. LEDs operate with about 8 ma. It is
very unlikely that even if an LED were shorted that it would prevent the
power supply from starting up due to this limiting of the current for
the LED. I don't like people who feel they must correct posters when
they make an error, but I thought you might want to know about this fact.

I am well aware of the way a LED operates. I work as an instrument mechanic
in a very large factory. I deal with most aspects of electricity and
electronics from computers to 480 3 phase circuits at 600 amps.

I was thinking of the whole LED system from the plug out. I did see one
computer where some wires going to the led was shorted and there was enough
current to heat up and burn the insulaton off the wires.

Old April 4th 04, 06:52 AM
ric

Ralph Mowery wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
news
Will a bad power led keep the power supply from coming on? Thanks.
William

As always it depends. If it is bad because it is shorted then it will keep
the suppply from comming on.

No. This is quite incorrect.

Old PC Occasionally Won't Start, Doesn't Power Down all the time mr x General 6 February 26th 04 04:50 AM
Computer doesnt start at all Robin General 6 January 11th 04 05:00 PM
power problems gregork General 4 December 28th 03 11:45 PM
How can I make motherboard to restart after power loss automatically? Amiran General 1 September 24th 03 11:35 PM