no sound in Dell Inspiron 3847

Old May 4th 14, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Default no sound in Dell Inspiron 3847

The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.
The CPU connects to the Dell 24 Monitor - S2440L monitor via VGA cable.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Glanced at the Dell manual at
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf
and from page 11, it appears that they have a front panel audio connector

Ran the Windows troubleshooter which also did not help.

In Device manager, I see Bluetooth Audio device, Intel Display audio,
Realtek High Definition Audio all of which have the right drivers.

Dell support thinks if I change the OS to Windows 7, I can get sound,
but I have to buy the Windows 7 OS

I thought most PCs today come with an integrated sound card and external
speakers are additional.

What could be causing the lack of audio? The volume is not set to mute.

---

Old May 4th 14, 10:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
VanguardLH[_2_]

t wrote:

The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

And that is the 32- or 64-bitwise version of Windows 8.1?

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.

Did you get the drivers from Dell or Realtek? For Dell:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...op/get-started

For 64-bit Windows 8.1, they list Realtek high-definition audio driver,
version 6.0.1.7016.,A00, release date 1/6/2014. Since this is a
low-level driver, did you reboot after installing it?

The CPU connects to the Dell 24 Monitor - S2440L monitor via VGA cable.

You mean the video output (backpanel) goes to that monitor. VGA does
not carry any audio signals.

If the monitor has speakers and you're trying to use them, you will need
to either use a HDMI video cable (video+sound) or run the audio-out from
the case's backpanel to an audio-in connector on the monitor. If, for
example, what you have is this monitor:

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-e2414h/pd

it has only DVI and VGA connectors. That monitor has no speakers and
those connection types don't carry sound. So don't expect any sound to
come out of that monitor.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Glanced at the Dell manual at
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf
and from page 11, it appears that they have a front panel audio connector

That is for connecting a headphone. Peculiarly their manual doesn't
specify the backpanel connectors. Instead you need the quick start
guide at:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf

Page 2, item 18, is the sound outputs. Neither manual tells you how to
connect the external powered speakers. One of those sound outputs goes
to the external powered speakers. My guess it's the green one.

Here's a pic of the Dell Inspiron 3847 (well, one config for that
model):

http://atrlaptops.com/ebay/Dell/inspiron3847_3

I think the middle one (green) is for audio output (front speakers).
The blue one is probably for rear speakers. Pink is the mic input. The
online specs for 3847 lists only DVI and VGA for video out yet this pic
shows VGA (15-pin Dsub) and HDMI. Whether or not the sound was wired to
the HDMI connector depends on implementation. In some cases, you have
to run a cable from a header on the mobo for sound to the video out.
However, I don't see the monitor has speakers so it doesn't matter if
the HDMI connector carries sound or not.

In Device manager, I see Bluetooth Audio device, Intel Display audio,
Realtek High Definition Audio all of which have the right drivers.

And in the sound applet in Control Panel, which audio device is
currently selected as the audio output device? I haven't bothered with
Windows 8 for home use so you'll have to figure out how to select from
multiple sound devices as to which one goes to the audio-out backpanel
connectors.

---

Not a valid signature delimiter (which is "-- \n", or dash dash space
newline). That means the following spam is in the body of your post and
not in a signature block.

Configure Avast to NOT append their spam promo pseudo-signature into
your e-mails and your posts.
Old May 4th 14, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
philo [_2_]

On 05/04/2014 12:58 AM, t wrote:
The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.
The CPU connects to the Dell 24 Monitor - S2440L monitor via VGA cable.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Then assuming your speakers are plugged in, you've used the wrong jack

Old May 4th 14, 11:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Paul

t wrote:
[...]

You can change your output choice.

http://i57.tinypic.com/xn6zvr.jpg

Paul
Old May 4th 14, 04:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

Thanks for replying.

On 5/4/2014 5:07 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
t wrote:

The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

And that is the 32- or 64-bitwise version of Windows 8.1?

64 bit.

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.

Did you get the drivers from Dell or Realtek? For Dell:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...op/get-started

For 64-bit Windows 8.1, they list Realtek high-definition audio driver,
version 6.0.1.7016.,A00, release date 1/6/2014. Since this is a
low-level driver, did you reboot after installing it?

Yes, I got the driver and rebooted it.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Glanced at the Dell manual at
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf
and from page 11, it appears that they have a front panel audio connector

That is for connecting a headphone. Peculiarly their manual doesn't
specify the backpanel connectors. Instead you need the quick start
guide at:

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...uide_en-us.pdf

Page 2, item 18, is the sound outputs. Neither manual tells you how to
connect the external powered speakers. One of those sound outputs goes
to the external powered speakers. My guess it's the green one.

No external powered speakers came with the computer which made me think
the motherboard may have a built-in speaker for sound.

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-produ...nual_en-us.pdf
does not seem to specify any speakers.

Does that mean I need to buy external speakers from Dell which will work
with Inspiron 3847?

Or, can any low cost ones from ebay
http://www.ebay.com/bhp/laptop-external-speakers
work? The usage will be for watching training videos

[...]

Speakers are selected as audio output device, but the computer did not
come with any.

Not a valid signature delimiter (which is "-- \n", or dash dash space
newline). That means the following spam is in the body of your post and
not in a signature block.

Configure Avast to NOT append their spam promo pseudo-signature into
your e-mails and your posts.

I did that. I appreciate your advice and time.
Old May 4th 14, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 5/4/2014 5:39 AM, philo wrote:
On 05/04/2014 12:58 AM, t wrote:
The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.
The CPU connects to the Dell 24 Monitor - S2440L monitor via VGA cable.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Then assuming your speakers are plugged in, you've used the wrong jack

Thanks, but no external powered speakers came with the computer which
made me think the motherboard may have a built-in speaker for sound.
Old May 4th 14, 04:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 5/4/2014 6:18 AM, Paul wrote:
t wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but I do not see the digital HD audio in my output choice.

It seems the computer needs external speakers and since it did not ship
with any, I need to get them from Dell or some low cost ones
from http://www.ebay.com/bhp/desktop-pc-speakers

I appreciate your advice and time.

Old May 4th 14, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk
philo [_2_]

On 05/04/2014 10:33 AM, t wrote:
On 5/4/2014 5:39 AM, philo wrote:
On 05/04/2014 12:58 AM, t wrote:
The computer is new and came with Windows 8.1.

I re-installed the Realtek audio card drivers, but there is no sound.
The CPU connects to the Dell 24 Monitor - S2440L monitor via VGA cable.

Checking in the sounds option in Control panel shows external speakers
are needed. I see there is a message in sound icon in bottom right that
no speakers or headphones are plugged in.

Then assuming your speakers are plugged in, you've used the wrong jack

Thanks, but no external powered speakers came with the computer which
made me think the motherboard may have a built-in speaker for sound.

Then that's the problem, you will need to get speakers and plug them in.
Old May 5th 14, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,24hoursupport.helpdesk

On 5/4/2014 4:38 PM, Kenny Cargill wrote:
If you have a hi-fi it may have an audio in which you can use.

Kenny

No, I don't have any hi-fi if you meant these
http://www.whathifi.com/reviews/hi-fi/hi-fi-speakers