Shopping for DDR2 Memory

Old January 15th 09, 04:18 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
John Doe

Default Shopping for DDR2 Memory

"larry moe 'n curly" larrymoencurly my-deja.com wrote:

But you brought up the subject of rebates:

I was replying to someone else who brought up the subject of rebates.

Actually the results are sorted by length of ownership, not just time
of posting,

The subcategory sort order makes no difference for this purpose. The
rating percentages are for all of the reviews according to date posted.
In other words, sorting by length of ownership does not change the
rating percentages shown at the top of the page, the sort order has no
effect on the rating percentage results up there.

I don't disagree, except possibly in the case of returning products
for exchange after the UPC has been removed.

NEWEGG ROCKS!!!

Newegg Home All Reviews

Filter Results:
UPC removed
desktop memory
sort order unimportant
100 per page
newegg purchasers

"I couldn't return the RAM after the UPC is removed"

"removed the UPC from the package and put the rebate in the mail. I
cannot send this back to newegg for a replacement now"

"you cannot return/exchange the item after you have removed the UPC
from the packaging"

"I can not return to New Egg because the UPC has been removed"
Old January 15th 09, 06:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 04:57:32 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

DevilsPGD DeathToSpam crazyhat.net wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid was claimed to have wrote:

In user reviews, some people even talk about not having to mess with
a rebate, an indication of how generally bad rebate experiences can
be. Whether you want to mess with them partly depends on how much
you think your time is worth.

The trick is that most people are idiots who can't follow basic
directions to save their life.

And then there are trolls who lie about their own experiences and
deny the obvious.

Yes, you do.
Old January 15th 09, 06:16 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 05:44:49 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

kony spam spam.com wrote:

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Proof that the earth is round? In another branch, I just posted some
proof that rebates are a hassle for many people. And that was only
one half page out of 40 worth of reviews. Can you not look for
yourself if you need to see more? Do you need proof that you cannot
return a product after cutting the UPC code off of the box and
mailing it in for a rebate?

can't know if they actually complied with the rebate terms
or not simply because they "think" they did.

And there is no way to know whether you are just being a troll (as
usual) and lying about your own experience, kony. But by simply
reading the form, any intelligent reader can see that a mail-in
rebate is a fool's agreement. The many bad experiences attest to
that.

Why would anyone troll about success at rebates? Makes no
sense, it's not as though it's shilling for any one company
vs another.
Old January 15th 09, 06:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 06:58:21 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

kony spam spam.com wrote:

After you cut the UPC code out of the box, you cannot return the
product to the seller. You are babbling clueless, kony.

You're not getting it. I didn't mean to suggest one can return it
to the seller after cutting out the rebate,

What you were replying to is right there in front of your face,
kony. If that is not what you meant, kony, you are extremely
careless (actually an understatement).

Nope, you assumed what you wanted to, to further your own
argument. Funny thing is, I don't even care to convince you
about rebates anymore, it's your loss if you can't comply
with terms like most manage to. Yes a small % of rebates
are denied for no fault of the customer, but that's not a
high enough % to come near making them unworthwhile.

With that, I have bored of your nonsense and will leave you
confused.
Old January 16th 09, 02:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

John Doe wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

With the 500 or so rebate submissions I've mailed in the past 8-9
years, I've had a problem (problem = late fulfillment or I had to
do something to get the rebate processed) with almost 20% of them,
mostly late fulfillment. I've gotten only about ten rejections,
and all were resolved, usually with just a phone call and no
argument at all from the rebate processor. And I've noticed in
the past two years that rebate processors have gotten much better,
and the problem rate is now 5% or less.

I might believe that when the rebate terms don't explicitly state
stuff like "we are not responsible if your submission is lost in the
mail"

Comptree/Meritline tried to pull that one on me today, but I reminded
them that rebate processors are at least 1,000x as likely to lose a
piece of mail as the post office is, and the last submission that got
"lost" was Meritline's -- the post office returned my envelope,
labelling it undeliverable, yet Meritline confirmed that I had the
right address on it.

and "approval or denial of your submission is totally up to us".

Not really. Avoid the worst rebate processors, like OnRebate (charges
extra to expedite handling, now owned by TigerDirect.com, and stick
with Parago (El Paso, TX or Miami, FL) and the numerous companies in
Iowa and Minnesota (but not in White Bear Lake).

Obviously the chance of approval depends simply on how badly
they want to deny your submission. A mail-in rebate is a fool's
agreement.

But they've saved me money for things I needed or wanted to buy
anyway, and a few times it was cheaper to buy the product and submit
the rebate than to do nothing.

DDR3 or DDR2 memory help Gabriel Knight[_6_] Homebuilt PC's 3 September 3rd 08 06:03 AM
DDR2 800 memory I could run @ 1066 [email protected] Asus Motherboards 2 February 6th 08 08:49 PM
DDR2 Memory Bill Gigabyte Motherboards 8 October 10th 07 04:12 AM
ddr2 memory Oldspook Asus Motherboards 3 August 30th 06 02:47 PM
Which DDr2 memory??? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 July 24th 06 03:58 PM