Shopping for DDR2 Memory

Old January 12th 09, 10:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
SRW

Default Shopping for DDR2 Memory

Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99 plus $3.99
shipping, for a total of $29.98:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...C795F8A5CA7304

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit for $17.99
with free shipping, for a total of $17.99.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146526

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at Newegg?
Old January 12th 09, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

SRW wrote:

Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99
plus $3.99 shipping, for a total of $29.98:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...C795F8A5CA7304

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit
for $17.99 with free shipping, for a total of $17.99.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146526

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at
Newegg?

Check for ECC versions and their prices. Then you have a much more
reasonable buy.

[page]: http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.
Old January 12th 09, 11:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
RobV[_2_]

SRW wrote:
Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99 plus
$3.99 shipping, for a total of $29.98:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...C795F8A5CA7304

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit for
$17.99 with free shipping, for a total of $17.99.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146526

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at Newegg?

Don't know, but this has happened many times over the years. Sometimes
buying from Crucial is cheaper than buying from Newegg, sometimes it's
the other way around. Newegg probably have a lot of stock that they
want to get rid of and you're the winner if you buy now from Newegg. A
few months from now, it may be the other way around.

-----------------
-----------------
Old January 13th 09, 01:41 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
JR Weiss[_2_]

"SRW" wrote...

Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99 plus $3.99
shipping, for a total of $29.98:

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit for $17.99 with
free shipping, for a total of $17.99.

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at Newegg?

No catch; happens a lot. Mfgrs would rather sell in quantity to retailers.

Old January 13th 09, 03:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 17:34:52 -0500, SRW
wrote:

Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99 plus $3.99
shipping, for a total of $29.98:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...C795F8A5CA7304

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit for $17.99
with free shipping, for a total of $17.99.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146526

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at Newegg?

Crucial does not adjust their 'site prices as timely as
Newegg and some other sellers do, because they are not
direct competitors in "PC parts". Newegg has to adjust to
the market, and even their own 'site stats, far more
rapidly.

How about 4GB of Crucial memory for $20 AR instead?
http://www.frys.com/product/5530560
Rebate expires in 3 days though, better order now although
Crucial rebates at Fry's have been common over the last few
weeks, a new rebate might appear on the 16th, or might not.
Old January 13th 09, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
John Doe

kony wrote:

Crucial does not adjust their 'site prices as timely as Newegg

How about 4GB of Crucial memory for $20 AR instead?

Rebate expires in 3 days though, better order now

Speaking of Newegg and rebates, if you really want to learn about
rebates. Find a product with a rebate. List 100 reviews per page.
Search the pages for "rebate". Every time you see a positive comment
about a rebate, notice that the silly poster has owned the item for
less than one month and obviously has not actually received the
rebate. Notice that everyone who mentions the rebate and has owned
the product long enough to have received one has a negative opinion
about the thing.

Besides trying hard to avoid honoring a rebate, the most likely
reason for offering a rebate is to prevent returns.

--
Land Skis (rough terrain skates). The first rollerblades with a big
front wheel and small trailing wheels, to help roll over obstacles
Old January 13th 09, 06:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 13 Jan 2009 05:27:05 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

kony wrote:

Crucial does not adjust their 'site prices as timely as Newegg

How about 4GB of Crucial memory for $20 AR instead?

Rebate expires in 3 days though, better order now

Speaking of Newegg and rebates, if you really want to learn about
rebates. Find a product with a rebate. List 100 reviews per page.
Search the pages for "rebate". Every time you see a positive comment
about a rebate, notice that the silly poster has owned the item for
less than one month and obviously has not actually received the
rebate. Notice that everyone who mentions the rebate and has owned
the product long enough to have received one has a negative opinion
about the thing.

Besides trying hard to avoid honoring a rebate, the most likely
reason for offering a rebate is to prevent returns.

On average, I've saved over 40% using rebates. If you don't
want any part of that, great, it means others have a better
opportunity. I have received Crucial rebates, am confident
enough to try it again... and have. Pay more if you like,
but it's worked well for me and others on average.
Old January 13th 09, 07:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
John Doe

kony wrote:

John Doe wrote:

kony wrote:

Crucial does not adjust their 'site prices as timely as Newegg

How about 4GB of Crucial memory for $20 AR instead?

Rebate expires in 3 days though, better order now

Speaking of Newegg and rebates, if you really want to learn about
rebates. Find a product with a rebate. List 100 reviews per page.
Search the pages for "rebate". Every time you see a positive
comment about a rebate, notice that the silly poster has owned
the item for less than one month and obviously has not actually
received the rebate. Notice that everyone who mentions the rebate
and has owned the product long enough to have received one has a
negative opinion about the thing.

Besides trying hard to avoid honoring a rebate, the most likely
reason for offering a rebate is to prevent returns.

On average, I've saved over 40% using rebates.

I helped define that usage of the word "save".

If you don't want any part of that, great, it means others have a
better opportunity.

You might have had a better opportunity only if I bought the thing
and didn't apply for a rebate, or if I bought the item and didn't
feel like messing with the rebate issuer when they denied the
application or they just never sent the rebate. But I usually skip
to the next product whenever I see a mail-in rebate offer, giving
the item no further consideration. That method saves lots of time
and hassle in the long run.

I have received Crucial rebates, am confident enough to try it
again... and have.

I just looked at crucial memory with a rebate on Newegg, as advised
above. The results are precisely the same as I said they would be.
Apparently your review isn't one of them, Kony.

Owned for less than one week:
Pros: Not expensive, especially after the rebate.
Cons: One of the two banks failed within a week. Can't return it
to newegg since I already sent in the rebate form. I'll probably
send it back directly to Crucial.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...ywords)&Page=2
Old January 13th 09, 08:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

SRW wrote:

Crucial has a 2GB DDR2 kit(Two 1GB PC2-5300 DIMMs) for $25.99 plus $3.99
shipping, for a total of $29.98:
http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartsp...C795F8A5CA7304

Newegg has, what appears to be, the same Crucial 2GB DDR2 kit for $17.99
with free shipping, for a total of $17.99.
http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820146526

Is there a catch; why is the same(?) kit so much cheaper at Newegg?

Most distributors keep their prices high when they sell directly to
consumers because retail channels tend to abandon distributors when
they start to compete against them.

I bought the same memory for about $5 more at the local Fry's, and the
modules were made by Samsung:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3405/...9771d704_b.jpg

The speed timings were like 6-6-6-18, but they tested fine at 5-5-5-15
(unlike some of OCZs rated for 5-5-5-15), and I don't know anyone who
got a dud. With other brands and Crucial Ballistix, usually at least
one person I know would report a defect. I've also had good luck with
Crucial modules containing Micron chips, provided those modules were
rated to work at 1.8V and did not have heatsinks on them.
Old January 13th 09, 10:25 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
larry moe 'n curly

kony wrote:

How about 4GB of Crucial memory for $20 AR instead?
http://www.frys.com/product/5530560
Rebate expires in 3 days though, better order now although
Crucial rebates at Fry's have been common over the last few
weeks, a new rebate might appear on the 16th, or might not.

People I know who bought them have reported zero bad bits (unlike the
case with those $15 AR 4GB Corsair TwinX modules -- almost half found
duds), but I was worried at first because the Micron chips on them
didn't have standard Micron part numbers printed on them but were
instead marked "8TE17 D9HNP":

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3437/...9a4d7cc4_o.jpg

However Crucial told me that they were regular MT47H128xxxxxxx chips,
even though they couldn't explain why the the markings differed or
prove that the quality was identical.

DDR3 or DDR2 memory help Gabriel Knight[_6_] Homebuilt PC's 3 September 3rd 08 06:03 AM
DDR2 800 memory I could run @ 1066 [email protected] Asus Motherboards 2 February 6th 08 08:49 PM
DDR2 Memory Bill Gigabyte Motherboards 8 October 10th 07 04:12 AM
ddr2 memory Oldspook Asus Motherboards 3 August 30th 06 02:47 PM
Which DDr2 memory??? [email protected] Asus Motherboards 1 July 24th 06 03:58 PM