Quick Poll, how old is your computer.

Old July 12th 06, 12:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bazzer Smith

Default Quick Poll, how old is your computer.

This is you main computer.
I am particularly interested if anyone (truthfully) has a main
computer 10 years or more old. (relates to an earlier post).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months old).

Old July 12th 06, 01:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message
This is you main computer.
I am particularly interested if anyone (truthfully) has a main
computer 10 years or more old. (relates to an earlier post).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months

old).

i use a celeron 2.6ghz and a p-IV 1.6 ghz

i use AMD whenver i can but the two machines i have were essentially
freebies
which i found in the alley near my house.

prior to the machines i now use...
i retired my amd-1000 about 6 months ago...

and the p-75 that i had upgraded to a p-200 was in use until maybe three
years ago...
had i not started to do a little bit of video editing...the amd-1000 would
have been plenty good

Old July 12th 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bazzer Smith

"philo" wrote in message
.. .

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message
This is you main computer.
I am particularly interested if anyone (truthfully) has a main
computer 10 years or more old. (relates to an earlier post).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months

old).

i use a celeron 2.6ghz and a p-IV 1.6 ghz

i use AMD whenver i can but the two machines i have were essentially
freebies
which i found in the alley near my house.

prior to the machines i now use...
i retired my amd-1000 about 6 months ago...

and the p-75 that i had upgraded to a p-200 was in use until maybe three
years ago...
had i not started to do a little bit of video editing...the amd-1000 would
have been plenty good

My new machine is a Sempron 3000 1.8gig, not lightening fast but
scores tops in the value for money stakes.
The old one was a Cyrix MII 300, about the same as a p-200
it too was crippled by modern video files so I finally got rid,
it was fine for news reading and some surfing, but modern 'flashy' sites
pretty much crippled it too.
I could have spent an extra £100 on the processor, but I doubt I would
have noticed any difference!
I had never watched streaming video footage on the old machine it
was way too much, this one does it fine with plenty of 'umph' to spare :O)

Old July 12th 06, 03:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Yugo

philo wrote:

"Bazzer Smith" wrote in message

This is you main computer.
I am particularly interested if anyone (truthfully) has a main
computer 10 years or more old. (relates to an earlier post).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months

old).

i use a celeron 2.6ghz and a p-IV 1.6 ghz

i use AMD whenver i can but the two machines i have were essentially
freebies
which i found in the alley near my house.

You find Celerons 2.6ghz and p-IVs 1.6 ghz systems in your alley? Maybe
you could tell me where you live and I could change my Celeron 850 for one
of those "finds".

Old July 12th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Bazzer Smith wrote:
This is you main computer.
I am particularly interested if anyone (truthfully) has a main
computer 10 years or more old. (relates to an earlier post).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months old).

Case and Zip drive, 10 years old. The rest of the guts are variuos
ages.

Old July 12th 06, 10:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

snip

i use a celeron 2.6ghz and a p-IV 1.6 ghz

i use AMD whenver i can but the two machines i have were essentially
freebies
which i found in the alley near my house.

You find Celerons 2.6ghz and p-IVs 1.6 ghz systems in your alley? Maybe
you could tell me where you live and I could change my Celeron 850 for one
of those "finds".

I live near the University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee)
and I'm sure most of the stuff is from students discarding their "old junk"

Although the p-IV and Celeron were a bit beyond my average find...

stuff like p-III's are quite common in the trash!

also, with everyone buying flat screen monitors...
good crt's are also fairly common now

Old July 12th 06, 10:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

).

To start the ball rolling my computer is in its first year ( ~3 months

old).

Case and Zip drive, 10 years old. The rest of the guts are variuos
ages.

ah yes...those old cases...
I should have mentioned that my Celeron was recased into a Gateway 2000
large tower from a 486 DX2-66

I had to do a little metalwork...but I really like the looks of the case!

Old July 12th 06, 10:39 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Bazzer Smith wrote:

This is you main computer.

The CPUs are ~1 GHz Tualitin Celeron and Sempron64 3100+, the cases
full size AT desktops from 1985, about as large as full size ATX towers
but designed for 11" x 17" motherboards. The original back panels were
removed and replaced with pieces made to fit ATX motherboards and power
supplies. I like desktop cases because the monitors sit at the
perfect viewing height on top of them, and these old cases are made of
metal thick enough to support their heavy 21" CRT monitors.