Motherboard recommendations

Old August 5th 05, 01:09 PM
Bob

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:50:52 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

Aren't eBay boards factory seconds?

Er.. no.

Then how can the seller make any money at those prices?

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin

Old August 5th 05, 01:31 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.su06jym6gl9owm@sony...
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_sli.html
Can I connect a monitor to this device?
Thanks,

Er.. no..

What would you suggest for me for a graphics card? I am not a gamer, and I
hardly ever watch videos... I have a 19' 1280x1024 Sony monitor. I use
Photoshop on WinXP, I also use FreeBSD. I am looking for quality, but I
don't want to have an extremely good card, as I won't use it to its
highest potential...
Thanks,

Matrox G450 or G550. You can get G450s very cheap on eBay.

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 01:35 PM
Synapse Syndrome

wrote:

Aren't eBay boards factory seconds?

Er.. no.

Then how can the seller make any money at those prices?

If they are advertised as new, they are cheaper as the seller may have lower
overheads than a retail outlet. No rent, etc. Just make sure the goods are
quality items by asking the seller appropriate questions and only trade with
reputable dealers with 100% positive feedback.

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 01:55 PM
Justin Sane

Matrox G450 or G550. You can get G450s very cheap on eBay.

(I'm reluctant in buying from eBay since I'm not from the USA...)
How about this one: ASUSTek V9520 MAGIC/T (128MB) or ASUSTek V9520-X/TD
(64 MB)?

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 5th 05, 02:39 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.su1cu6ewgl9owm@sony...
Matrox G450 or G550. You can get G450s very cheap on eBay.

(I'm reluctant in buying from eBay since I'm not from the USA...)
How about this one: ASUSTek V9520 MAGIC/T (128MB) or ASUSTek V9520-X/TD
(64 MB)?

I've got no experience with that card but I have tried a few older GeForces.
That card would be more powerful than a G450, so I'm sure it's fine for your
needs, and as it's an Asus I'm sure the quality is good too. I particularly
like the fact that it has no fan. If you plan to use two monitors you
should still keep Matrox in mind.

http://usa.asus.com/products/vga/v9520m/overview.htm

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 02:58 PM
GT

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.su1cu6ewgl9owm@sony...
Matrox G450 or G550. You can get G450s very cheap on eBay.

(I'm reluctant in buying from eBay since I'm not from the USA...)

In that case, when you search on ebay, choose buy-it-now and paypal (options
on the left hand side after you search). This will restrict you to shops and
reputable vendors. And check (read through) the feedback before you bid.
Just post a link to the ebay item to this group and ask us what we think
before you bid...

Old August 5th 05, 03:38 PM
Bob

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 12:35:45 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

If they are advertised as new, they are cheaper as the seller may have lower
overheads than a retail outlet. No rent, etc. Just make sure the goods are
quality items by asking the seller appropriate questions and only trade with
reputable dealers with 100% positive feedback.

I bought a Carrier Thermidistat on eBay for $99 shipping included. The
shipping cost the seller at most $5 if I include his gasoline to the
PO.

It was NIB. MSRP is $282.00, discount price is $239..00 - both plus
shipping. Those who offer it on eBay for immediate sale - no auction -
are priced around $140 with shipping.

I called Carrier in Indianapolis - it is owned by United Technologies
- and asked the Thermidistat Product Line Manager how someone could
sell the unit for under $100. I was told that it costs Carrier MORE
than $100 just to make them.

Does not compute. Yet the unit was NIB, and even had a very recent
product code. I am, of course, very pleased with the transaction, but
I would like to know how someone can make money selling it for that
price.

Old August 5th 05, 04:01 PM
GT

wrote:

[...]

You do also get con artists on EBay. Let common sense prevail. If they don't
use paypal, I won't touch them. If they prefer bidpay or western union money
transfer, walk away!!

Old August 5th 05, 04:11 PM
Synapse Syndrome

wrote:

[...]

I don't know about this case, but it is possible that it was stolen goods.
My father saw goods on eBay that belonged to him after they were taken from
a hurricane damaged warehouse in Florida.

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 04:31 PM
Bob

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 16:01:23 +0100, "GT"
wrote:

You do also get con artists on EBay.

But this deal was not a con. It was legit.

Let common sense prevail. If they don't
use paypal, I won't touch them. If they prefer bidpay or western union money
transfer, walk away!!

I go one step further. I use PayPal but I pay with a credit card that
will remove the charge if I complain. Before I pay for the item I
write the seller with my terms of sale, which include returning items
at his expense.

I once had a seller who decided to ignore my terms and conveniently
disappeared when I told him the item was defective. So I called the
credit card company and they withdrew the payment. Immediately the
seller contacts me, sends me a prepaid mailer and two-day ships a
replacement.

After he got his money back, he whined that I should have been patient
and not yanked the payment because it cost him $35 in fees and it goes
on his merchant account record. I explained to him that I have a
policy of Zero Tolerance with mail order. Like WalMart, I will be
satisfied. He found out the hard way that I was not bull****ting.