Motherboard recommendations

Old August 4th 05, 08:42 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.suzsyppjgl9owm@sony...
Do you want PCIe or just want to stick with your AGP graphics card?
Would you prefer the nVidea nForce or VIA chipset?

Mmmh... I want the graphics card to be onboard, like the NIC and the
sound. I think the nVidia nForce will be fine as they provide drivers for
FreeBSD (Though AFAIK, VIA also works fine on FreeBSD)... If possible,
AGP, but that doesn't matter.

Forget about onboard graphics. That will limit you to you miniATX boards
mostly. Boards with on-board graphics are meant for the system builders
that make cheap business PCs. Just get a second hand graphics card for now,
or you must have one laying around. I'd personally stick with PCI and AGP,
as I need more than 3 PCI slots and am not prepared to get a PCIe graphics
card yet.

Oh, yes, and also, do you want a 939 or 754 Athlon64? The 754 ones are
cheaper, but you may want a 939 board if you plan to upgrade processors
in the next couple of years.

Maybe 939 then

If you want AGP and Socket 939, this is the board you want:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelmen u=1

or the lesser non-deluxe version:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelmen u=1

I love Asus.

ss.

Old August 4th 05, 09:59 PM
Justin Sane

or the lesser non-deluxe version:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelmen u=1

Thanks, does the A8V have graphics card onboard?

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 4th 05, 10:42 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.suz4k7udgl9owm@sony...
or the lesser non-deluxe version:
http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?l...&modelmen u=1

Thanks, does the A8V have graphics card onboard?

No, it has an AGP slot. Just get a nice Matrox G450 from eBay. It's much
better.

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 06:09 AM
Bob

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 21:42:33 +0000 (UTC), "Synapse Syndrome"
wrote:

Just get a nice Matrox G450 from eBay. It's much
better.

Aren't eBay boards factory seconds?

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin

Old August 5th 05, 07:47 AM
larry moe 'n curly

Justin Sane wrote:

I'm looking for a motherboard with sound, network board,
and graphic card onboard. The motherboard needs support
for an Athlon64 CPU. I also want 2 SATA connections and
if possible a "Suspend-to-RAM" feature. I found this
link, but I don't understand exactly all features of each
motherboard: www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
I like ASUS and ASRock.

I just got my first ASRock, a Socket A mobo, and it seems built better
than average but not quite a good as Asus (empty spots where the fuses
go, yet there aren't jumpers to substitute), and the BIOS doesn't allow
customizing many of the parameters.

I think that it would be a shame to buy something as fast as an
Athlon64 and then hobble it with slow integrated graphics because even
the fastest such graphics (probably NVidia's or ATI's) are so slow that
even many cheap plug-in graphics cards are faster. Also the integrated
graphics I've seen from Socket A mobos with SiS or VIA/S3 chipsets
displayed major flaws.

Some dealer websites, like Newegg's, will let you screen for mobos by
almost every featu
http://www.newegg.com/ProductSort/Su...SubCategory=22

You may want a mobo with PCI Express (PCI-X) rather than AGP because
PCI-X can be faster (probably not -- notice how 8x AGP hasn't helped
much), and graphics cards for it are now common and not really more
expensive.

Old August 5th 05, 10:49 AM
Justin Sane

Is the nForce4 SLI a graphics card?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_sli.html
Can I connect a monitor to this device?
Thanks,

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 5th 05, 11:13 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.su038nrkgl9owm@sony...
Is the nForce4 SLI a graphics card?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_sli.html
Can I connect a monitor to this device?
Thanks,

Er.. no..

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 11:16 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote in message
oups.com...
You may want a mobo with PCI Express (PCI-X) rather than AGP because
PCI-X can be faster (probably not -- notice how 8x AGP hasn't helped
much), and graphics cards for it are now common and not really more
expensive.

PCI-X and PCI Express (PCIe, PCI-E) are two different things. PCI-X are
64-bit expansion slots like found in the Apple Powermac G5.

ss.

Old August 5th 05, 11:39 AM
Justin Sane

http://www.nvidia.com/page/nforce4_sli.html
Can I connect a monitor to this device?
Thanks,

Er.. no..

What would you suggest for me for a graphics card? I am not a gamer, and I
hardly ever watch videos... I have a 19' 1280x1024 Sony monitor. I use
Photoshop on WinXP, I also use FreeBSD. I am looking for quality, but I
don't want to have an extremely good card, as I won't use it to its
highest potential...
Thanks,

--
Justin.