Motherboard recommendations

Old August 4th 05, 03:30 PM
Justin Sane

Default Motherboard recommendations

I need some help please!!
I'm looking for a motherboard with sound, network board, and graphic card
onboard. The motherboard needs support for an Athlon64 CPU. I also want 2
SATA connections and if possible a "Suspend-to-RAM" feature.
I found this link, but I don't understand excatly all features of each
motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
I like ASUS and ASRock.
What do you suggest?
Thanks,

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 4th 05, 04:42 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.suzmlxfrgl9owm@sony...
I need some help please!!
I'm looking for a motherboard with sound, network board, and graphic card
onboard. The motherboard needs support for an Athlon64 CPU. I also want 2
SATA connections and if possible a "Suspend-to-RAM" feature.
I found this link, but I don't understand excatly all features of each
motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
I like ASUS and ASRock.
What do you suggest?

That link just goes to the motherboards index, so nobody knows which
motherboard you are talking about. Get the Asus. I've never even heard of
ASRock.

ss.

Old August 4th 05, 04:53 PM
Justin Sane

That link just goes to the motherboards index, so nobody knows which
motherboard you are talking about. Get the Asus. I've never even heard
of
ASRock.

Yes I know, but I don't know which one motherboard to choose, there are so
many
The ASRock is quite popular, it's manufactured by ASUS (just like TEAC is
manufactured by Sony, etc...).

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 4th 05, 05:11 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.suzqfkhagl9owm@sony...
That link just goes to the motherboards index, so nobody knows which
motherboard you are talking about. Get the Asus. I've never even heard
of
ASRock.

Yes I know, but I don't know which one motherboard to choose, there are so
many
The ASRock is quite popular, it's manufactured by ASUS (just like TEAC is
manufactured by Sony, etc...).

Do you want PCIe or just want to stick with your AGP graphics card?

Would you prefer the nVidea nForce or VIA chipset?

ss.

Old August 4th 05, 05:15 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Synapse Syndrome" wrote in message

"Justin Sane" wrote in message
newsp.suzqfkhagl9owm@sony...
That link just goes to the motherboards index, so nobody knows which
motherboard you are talking about. Get the Asus. I've never even heard
of
ASRock.

Yes I know, but I don't know which one motherboard to choose, there are
so many
The ASRock is quite popular, it's manufactured by ASUS (just like TEAC is
manufactured by Sony, etc...).

Do you want PCIe or just want to stick with your AGP graphics card?

Would you prefer the nVidea nForce or VIA chipset?

Oh, yes, and also, do you want a 939 or 754 Athlon64? The 754 ones are
cheaper, but you may want a 939 board if you plan to upgrade processors in
the next couple of years. They run cooler as well. Whether you do or not
want to go PCIe will determine this for you, but there are a couple of
boards that overlap this in the Asus range.

ss.

Old August 4th 05, 05:48 PM
Justin Sane

Do you want PCIe or just want to stick with your AGP graphics card?
Would you prefer the nVidea nForce or VIA chipset?

Mmmh... I want the graphics card to be onboard, like the NIC and the
sound. I think the nVidia nForce will be fine as they provide drivers for
FreeBSD (Though AFAIK, VIA also works fine on FreeBSD)... If possible,
AGP, but that doesn't matter.

Oh, yes, and also, do you want a 939 or 754 Athlon64? The 754 ones are
cheaper, but you may want a 939 board if you plan to upgrade processors
in the next couple of years.

Maybe 939 then

--
Justin.
http://www.opera.com/m2/
Old August 4th 05, 06:45 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 11:30:59 -0300, Justin Sane wrote:

I need some help please!!
I'm looking for a motherboard with sound, network board, and graphic card
onboard. The motherboard needs support for an Athlon64 CPU. I also want 2
SATA connections and if possible a "Suspend-to-RAM" feature.
I found this link, but I don't understand excatly all features of each
motherboard:
http://www.asus.com/products1.aspx?l1=3
I like ASUS and ASRock.
What do you suggest?
Thanks,

Don't know anything about the ASUS boards but stay away from MSI
Motherboards, they only recognize a max of 3.6G of RAM unless you select
Fill Memory Hole in the BIOS which doesn't work for Linux. When you select
that option Linux only sees 3G (tried several 64 bit and high mem
32 bit kernels including the latest 2.6.13 release candidate). I don't
know about BSD.
Old August 4th 05, 08:29 PM
Bob

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:48:15 -0300, "Justin Sane"
wrote:

Do you want PCIe or just want to stick with your AGP graphics card?
Would you prefer the nVidea nForce or VIA chipset?

Mmmh... I want the graphics card to be onboard, like the NIC and the
sound. I think the nVidia nForce will be fine as they provide drivers for
FreeBSD (Though AFAIK, VIA also works fine on FreeBSD)... If possible,
AGP, but that doesn't matter.

Oh, yes, and also, do you want a 939 or 754 Athlon64? The 754 ones are
cheaper, but you may want a 939 board if you plan to upgrade processors
in the next couple of years.

Maybe 939 then

Let me suggest looking at the MSI (Microstar) line of motherboards.
They implement the Intel chipset. Call your favorite vendor to get a
recommendation

Might as well have something to compare to.

--

Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
--Benjamin Franklin

Old August 4th 05, 08:31 PM
Bob

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 13:45:03 -0400, General Schvantzkoph
wrote:

Don't know anything about the ASUS boards but stay away from MSI
Motherboards, they only recognize a max of 3.6G of RAM unless you select
Fill Memory Hole in the BIOS which doesn't work for Linux. When you select
that option Linux only sees 3G (tried several 64 bit and high mem
32 bit kernels including the latest 2.6.13 release candidate). I don't
know about BSD.

3 GB of RAM is absurd unless you have a very special application.

MSI motherboards are quality equipment.

Old August 4th 05, 08:33 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Bob" wrote in message

Let me suggest looking at the MSI (Microstar) line of motherboards.
They implement the Intel chipset. Call your favorite vendor to get a
recommendation

Might as well have something to compare to.

He said he wanted to get an Athlon64 CPU though.

ss.