Any Negatives in Overclocking

Old September 24th 03, 04:56 PM
Keith Perry

Default Any Negatives in Overclocking

I am strongly considering getting a P4 2.4 fsb 800, and would consider
overclocking it. However I would like to know if there are any negatives in
overclocking?

Please Respond

Old September 24th 03, 05:10 PM
Ski

I am strongly considering getting a P4 2.4 fsb 800, and would consider
overclocking it. However I would like to know if there are any negatives in
overclocking?

Please Respond

The only way to find out how far is too far...is to go there.
Ski
"I'm gonna have fun if it kills us all"
(remove spleen to e-mail)
Old September 24th 03, 05:36 PM
John

It easier than it used to be. Stick with the following simple rules and you
have nothing to fear. Buy a board that allows you lock the PCI/AGP buses.
Stay within the rated speed of your RAM. Don't over-volt anything. Make a
good backup before you start (eg. using Norton Ghost) so that if you corrupt
windows by overclocking the cpu past it's max stable speed, you can restore
from the backup. Work the FSB up in small increments (eg. 3 FSB at a time)
and test stability before increasing again.

Old September 25th 03, 12:54 PM
Mark Nichols

You void your warranty unfortunately....

But I can't see how they could tell.. Unless you fried your chip or
something...

Old September 25th 03, 06:09 PM
Fishstick

I guessing you're also going to get a new mobo, make sure you get one with
temp control(most have this these days). Also if you're considering oc'ing I
would recommend buying a CPU-fan that's capable of cooling a faster CPU
(i.e. max 3.0 GHz). This way you'll have a system where you can see if the
temps are getting too high and a fan that should be able to cool your system
effectivly.

I got an Athlon 2100+ oc'd at 2600+ with a fan capable of 3500+

Good luck!