Aopen FX5900XT poor performance

Old February 22nd 04, 11:08 AM
Mike

Just Tested again. Results below

3DMark Score 8489 3D marks

Game 1 Car Chase - Low Detail 107.1 FPS

Game 1 Car Chase - High Detail 34.3 FPS

Game 2 Dragothic - Low Detail 168.5 FPS

Game 2 Dragothic - High Detail 89.4 FPS

Game 3 Lobby - Low Detail 96.9 FPS

Game 3 Lobby - High Detail 41.7 FPS

Game 4 Nature 72.9 FPS

Fill Rate (Single-Texturing) 1422.1 MTexels/s

Fill Rate (Multi-Texturing) 2828.6 MTexels/s

High Polygon Count (1 light) 77.1 MTriangels/s

High Polygon Count (8 lights) 21.5 MTriangels/s

Environment Bump Mapping 157.1 FPS

DOT3 Bump Mapping 207.7 FPS

Vertex Shader 111.4 FPS

Pixel Shader 151.1 FPS

Advanced Pixel Shader 119.6 FPS

Point Sprite 32.0 MSprites/s

"Mike" wrote in message
If it helps I have exactly the same card. I have an athlon xp1600+ with
512mb pc2100 ram.

My 3dmark 2001 score was 7921
2003 score was 4500
aquamark 18000

I think my CPU is holding me back but the highest I can go is to a 2100+
without doing any mods and don't think its worth it. Will prob go for new
mobo and CPU at some point. Overall though this card is an improvement

over
my Geforce 2 Ti especialy with battlefield 1942.

"Rocky" wrote in message
I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly.

noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old

GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no

techy.
have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the

test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

--
Rocky [ICQ UIN 41113560]
www.GhostRecon.net | www.AGR-S.com

Attached Images

Old February 22nd 04, 01:56 PM
Rocky

"Helion" wrote in message
Not so much the 512 MB MEM but what type is it?? SDRAM, PC 100, PC 133,

or
is it DDR IE: PC2100, PC2700, etc,? When you benchmark, the driver

settings
should be set to "Application Controlled" for AA and AF. .... You

definitley have some slow memory or wrong
settings at driver level in addition to the somewhat slow cpu.

Hi

It is SDRAM, and Application Control is on for AA and AF.

Old February 22nd 04, 01:59 PM
Rocky

"lyon_wonder" wrote in message
Your CPU, ( a 1.5GHz p4 is barely faster than a 1GHz P3 in real-world
performance), is holding back your FX video card's performance. Also
your RAM, if it's only SDRAM and not RDRAM or DDR, would be a limiting
factor too.

Okay, thanks for the tips. How do I figure out if my mobo supports DDR? It's
a Gigabyte 81DXH...

Old February 22nd 04, 02:33 PM
DreamMaker

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 23:49:10 -0000, "Rocky"
wrote:

I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly. I
noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no techy. I
have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

Firts could you tell us whats the spec of your video card frecency of
the gpu, mem if it's a 256bits mem's anything

in my point of view your system runs on a 4x agp slot... so by this
reducing the bandwith (i would say: video information) between the
video card and motherboard by 2.

upgrade your motherboard to get a agp 8x and it should do the tric...
plus i would refer you to a mother board that possed the nf2 ultra
400.
This is the perfect combination...
Old February 22nd 04, 02:46 PM
DreamMaker

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 11:08:22 -0000, "Mike" wrote:

Just Tested again. Results below

3DMark Score 8489 3D marks

Ho, i do get 7000 point in 3dmark01 se
with my asus fx5200 td

Old February 22nd 04, 03:09 PM
BelaLvgosi

wrote:

[...]

On a test I've seen, the difference from a tb 1333 (maybe faster than a p4
1.8) to a barton 2500+ with a XT was 85% more fps in most tests at 1024 no
AA,AF! So your cpu is really holding you.

Old February 22nd 04, 07:24 PM
Les

"Rocky" wrote in message
I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly. I
noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no techy.

have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the

test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

--
Rocky [ICQ UIN 41113560]
www.GhostRecon.net | www.AGR-S.com

Dabs.com are doing the Aopen FX5900 for £140. That is cheaper than the Aopen
FX5900XT they also sell. The standard one overclocks very well.

Old February 22nd 04, 10:47 PM
chris

"Rocky" wrote in message
I just upgraded from a GF2 to the FX5900XT and it's running very poorly. I
noticed this right away in NFS:UG which actually ran better on the old GF2
because the new card is making it totally freeze up for 1 or 2 seconds
frequently during the first lap of each race. Frame rates on some other
games are very similar to the the old card too.

I ran 3dmark 2001SE and the 7859 score seems low to me, but I am no techy.

have a P41.5Mhz and 512 RAM and AGPx4, I pasted the full results of the

test
at http://www.ghostrecon.net/html/3dmark-scores.htm

Any advice?

Try downloading the 53.03 intl drivers that nvidia have on their website.
The disk that my Aopen Fx5900 came with only had the WHQL 44.04's on it!

Have you tried going to gigabyte's website and updating your chipset
drivers, maybe your bios even if you feel that confident? Chipset drivers
can meke a big difference to agp performance (for instance the nvidia 3.13
nf7-s drivers made a very noticable difference to my sys over the 2.45's).

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...r_GA-8IDXH.htm

hth

chris

Old February 23rd 04, 05:39 PM
Rocky

"chris" wrote in message
Try downloading the 53.03 intl drivers that nvidia have on their website.
The disk that my Aopen Fx5900 came with only had the WHQL 44.04's on it!

Even funnier, if you use the bundled VGA Live Update software, it will tell
you that the bundled drivers are the latest! But yeh I did install the 53.03
and they did give a few FPS improvement, nothing to wrte home about though.

Have you tried going to gigabyte's website and updating your chipset
drivers, maybe your bios even if you feel that confident? Chipset drivers
can meke a big difference to agp performance (for instance the nvidia 3.13
nf7-s drivers made a very noticable difference to my sys over the 2.45's).

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...r_GA-8IDXH.htm

I do need to do that - I'll check it out, thanks.