Is my Radeon 9800 Pro responsible for system temp increase?

Old June 29th 04, 06:20 PM
Inglo

Default Is my Radeon 9800 Pro responsible for system temp increase?

I just replaced my 9600 Pro with a 9800 Pro and my system temps seem to
have gone up 4-5 degrees. Query: is this because a.) the 9800 puts out
more heat so the temps rise, b.) when I put the card in I jumbled up the
cables inside the case screwing up the air flow, c.) a combination of
the two?

--
"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."
Inigo Montoya

Steve [Inglo]
Old June 29th 04, 07:59 PM
Ben Pope

Inglo wrote:
I just replaced my 9600 Pro with a 9800 Pro and my system temps seem to
have gone up 4-5 degrees. Query: is this because a.) the 9800 puts out
more heat so the temps rise, b.) when I put the card in I jumbled up the
cables inside the case screwing up the air flow, c.) a combination of
the two?

I guess that would depend on whether or not you interrupted the airflow with
the cable adjustments.

Probably a combination of both.

What ARE your system temps? And what are your room temps?

Ben

Old June 29th 04, 08:48 PM
Sham B

I got exacly the same problem when I went up to a 9800 pro from a 9500 pro. The 9800 pro (and
prolly any card at the same level of performance) puts out a lot of heat, and this comes from the
bottom of the case rather than the top (where the processor and the psu fan is), as well as coming
from the bottom face of the card rather than the upper one. all this makes it difficult to get rid
of the hot air quickly using airflow, so by the time it is ejected, most of the hot air generated
has warmed your components up!

I had not much luck with adding extra fans (they work but they are just plain noisy) until I
replaced the stock 9800 pro heatsink with an arctic cooler, which has the advantage of venting the
heat out of the case at source, which solves the problem directly. not only did the gpu overclock
better, but the case temp went down.

HTH

Old June 29th 04, 08:52 PM
Inglo

On 6/29/2004 11:59 AM Ben Pope brightened our day with:

Inglo wrote:

I just replaced my 9600 Pro with a 9800 Pro and my system temps seem to
have gone up 4-5 degrees. Query: is this because a.) the 9800 puts out
more heat so the temps rise, b.) when I put the card in I jumbled up the
cables inside the case screwing up the air flow, c.) a combination of
the two?

I guess that would depend on whether or not you interrupted the airflow with
the cable adjustments.

Probably a combination of both.

What ARE your system temps? And what are your room temps?

Ben

Well everything's a little whacked now, I replaced the passive heatsink
on my northbridge with a Vantec Iceberq and replaced the arctic alumina
on my CPU HSF with arctic silver 5 (had been planning to do this for a
while, had the stuff lying around just waiting for the right impetus).
Tied up all the cables and made more effective use of them (dragging
another molex to the video card caused some problems).
This morning when the room was definitely cooler than it is now the NB
was at 44C and the CPU at 50C idle.
Right now (ambient probably 24C) after what I've done, the NB is at 38C
and the CPU is at 46C idle. And I guess the AS5 needs to "cure" a bit.
FYI, this is Barton 2500 overclocked to 3200 speeds on a nForce2
motherboard, and for whatever reason I've found that this MSI board
reads hotter than a lot of other nForce2 boards.

Now I'd say the last time I looked at the temps when my 9600 Pro was in
there the system was probably a little less than it is now with the
modifications I made this morning.
It appeared that there was a +5C change thanks to the 9800 Pro, wanted
to see if that was common or not.

The other thing is, I have one of those video card coolers that fits in
a PCI slot (which I've never thought was too effective), and I was
considering whether I should slap it in next to the 9800Pro. Good idea?

I try not to really obsess about temperatures as long as everything's
running stable, I don't give a f__k if I have the lowest temps around.
I won't be overjoyed, but my CPU idling at 46-48C doesn't bother me. So
once I get through monitoring stuff for the next few days I'll quit
watching the temps unless something goes wrong.

Old June 29th 04, 09:04 PM
Ben Pope

Inglo wrote:
[...]

Case temp?

Now I'd say the last time I looked at the temps when my 9600 Pro was in
there the system was probably a little less than it is now with the
modifications I made this morning.
It appeared that there was a +5C change thanks to the 9800 Pro, wanted
to see if that was common or not.

Change in what?

The other thing is, I have one of those video card coolers that fits in
a PCI slot (which I've never thought was too effective), and I was
considering whether I should slap it in next to the 9800Pro. Good idea?

Maybe, depending on the answer to the questions.

I try not to really obsess about temperatures as long as everything's
running stable, I don't give a f__k if I have the lowest temps around.
I won't be overjoyed, but my CPU idling at 46-48C doesn't bother me. So
once I get through monitoring stuff for the next few days I'll quit
watching the temps unless something goes wrong.

If your Diode temp is peaking at 50°C, no need tro worry at all. 60°C is
where I start thinking about more cooling. 70°C is where I start
underclocking things (or not overclocking them).

Ben

Old June 30th 04, 09:13 AM
Blahguy

You might consider putting in a "blowhole" - that is make a hole in the top
of your case and place a fan there. That way the hot air gets sucked
straight out through the top of the comp.

t.net...

Old June 30th 04, 05:32 PM
Inglo

On 6/30/2004 1:13 AM Blahguy brightened our day with:

You might consider putting in a "blowhole" - that is make a hole in the top
of your case and place a fan there. That way the hot air gets sucked
straight out through the top of the comp.

Already got one. I've got two exhaust fans in the back and one on the
top with one intake fan on the side. There are mount points for air
intake on the front but the way the case is designed, easy airflow
through the front is blocked.
I tried putting the PCI slot fan in, actually made things worse.

Important thing is I played UT2004 for a couple hours yesterday in the
heat of the late afternoon without a hitch. And it looks great.

Anyway, what are those heatpipe things called, arctic or is it "artic"
(or was that just a spelling error I saw someone make :-P ) coolers?
If they aren't too expensive I might look into one.