Horizontal lines across monitor

Old December 11th 03, 03:01 AM
k_yhz

Default Horizontal lines across monitor

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 1200NF 22" monitor and it has two lines
that run accross the full width of the screen. The lines are one
pixel wide and are located about 3 inches from the top and bottom of
the screen. They appear at all resolutions. There also appears to be
a little "color burn" or something in the top left hand corner - a
little purplish hue.
Any suggestions as to what caused this and what I can do about it?
Thanks.

Old December 11th 03, 03:17 AM
Shepİ

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 03:05:40 GMT Not letting inanimate objects know
I'm a in a hurry " wrote :

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 23:01:37 -0400, k_yhz
wrote:

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 1200NF 22" monitor and it has two lines
that run accross the full width of the screen. The lines are one
pixel wide and are located about 3 inches from the top and bottom of
the screen. They appear at all resolutions. There also appears to be
a little "color burn" or something in the top left hand corner - a
little purplish hue.
Any suggestions as to what caused this and what I can do about it?
Thanks.

If uts a trinitron they all have that. Its a thing to keep the grille
in place I think. It bugs the hell of some people and doesnt bother
others at all.

You sure you dont have any magnets near your monitor?
You can get some really wicked purple and other weird problems when
you have poor shielded or unshielded speakers and other things with
magnets in them.

As you say it's,"Trinitron" thing.Same on my Dell monitor

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Old December 11th 03, 11:11 PM
Ralph Mowery

wrote:

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 1200NF 22" monitor and it has two lines
that run accross the full width of the screen. The lines are one
pixel wide and are located about 3 inches from the top and bottom of
the screen. They appear at all resolutions. There also appears to be
a little "color burn" or something in the top left hand corner - a
little purplish hue.
Any suggestions as to what caused this and what I can do about it?
Thanks.

If uts a trinitron they all have that. Its a thing to keep the grille
in place I think. It bugs the hell of some people and doesnt bother
others at all.

My Syncmaster 700nf has the same 2 lines and so does all the Dell monitors
at work (about 300 of them) . Not sure about now, but a few years back they
were suspose to be one of the best screens.
The ones with the lines in them that is.
There were 2 basic types of tubes, the frame grid and shadow mask.

Old December 11th 03, 11:15 PM
V W Wall

wrote:

[...]

Actually, the two types are shadow mask and aperture grille. The latter have
two horiziontal damper wires. I have a Sony 100SX Trinitron and a Samsung
955DF, both having damper wires. I can barely see them under normal usage.
The aperture grille lets more electrons through to strike the phosphor,
hence giving brighter colors. It's usually not quite as good for text.

Virg Wall
--
A foolish consistency is the
hobgoblin of little minds,........
Old December 12th 03, 12:00 AM
DaveW

The lines are supposed to be there. They support the trintron style shadow
mask. Some monitor companies use that style of support; others don't.
Samsung does.

--
DaveW

Old December 12th 03, 01:24 AM

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:40:13 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

You are correct on the types. Guess "best" is what you make of it. From
what I remember at the time I think you are right on the other part also.
One was best for text and the aperture grill was best for colors. Seems
that the ones with the wires were rated overall the best when I was looking
for a good one, but then again it is who definds the best.

At the time Id read how fantastic trinis were. They were also
expensive. I bought a Sony 17 " for $700 on mostly reviews and that
was a moderately priced one. Strangely enough I never really loved
that monitor. For one thing it was dependable I admit. It lasted a
long time. However they put this anti-glare coating on it that made
the tube really dark. Even turned all the way up with gamma
adjustments too - it seemed really dark so the so-called bright colors
never really came through. In retrospect I dont think I really liked
the pic all that much. It looked really dull. Maybe the other trinis
were way better I dont know.

Old December 12th 03, 02:02 AM
kony

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:40:13 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

snip

One was best for text and the aperture grill was best for colors. Seems
that the ones with the wires were rated overall the best when I was looking
for a good one, but then again it is who definds the best.

True, I still prefer a Trinitron for text. The text doesn't look as
aesthetically pleasing but the sharpness and contrast makes up for it
IMO, especially for long periods of reading.

Dave