How to install a second copy of printer driver

Old July 1st 09, 12:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

Default How to install a second copy of printer driver

I have an HP Deskjet 6980 printer that works very well. I have a
certain set of default preferences for routine printing that I like to
use.

I do some other printing that requires a different set of
preferences. I have to do a half dozen mouse clicks to change the
preferences each time.

Is there a way to install a second copy of the driver so I can use it
with the different set of default preferences? The setup disk with
the drivers will not let me do that. (Maybe there is a different
printer driver that would be compatible with this 6980 printer.)

Thanks,

Dave C.
Old July 1st 09, 01:12 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Dave C." wrote in message
:

I have an HP Deskjet 6980 printer that works very well. I have a
certain set of default preferences for routine printing that I like to
use.

I do some other printing that requires a different set of
preferences. I have to do a half dozen mouse clicks to change the
preferences each time.

Is there a way to install a second copy of the driver so I can use it
with the different set of default preferences? The setup disk with
the drivers will not let me do that. (Maybe there is a different
printer driver that would be compatible with this 6980 printer.)

What is your operating system? In Windows you should be able to add
another instance of the driver by going to the Printers folder, Add
Printer and then select the Deskjet 6980. Drivers for the 6940 or 6500
series Deskjet's should also be compatible.

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 1st 09, 01:13 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Max

On Jun 30, 7:53 pm, "Dave C." wrote:
I have an HP Deskjet 6980 printer that works very well. I have a
certain set of default preferences for routine printing that I like to
use.

I do some other printing that requires a different set of
preferences. I have to do a half dozen mouse clicks to change the
preferences each time.

Is there a way to install a second copy of the driver so I can use it
with the different set of default preferences? The setup disk with
the drivers will not let me do that. (Maybe there is a different
printer driver that would be compatible with this 6980 printer.)

Thanks,

Dave C.

Try it from the "Add Printer Wizard" instead of the set up disk. You
will still need the disk in the drive. Put it in and cancel the auto
start. Then refer to the drivers from the wizard. Or you might be able
to do it from the disk directly by selecting the correct execute
program off that disk. It can be done. I have several versions of the
same printer installed (not your model though).
Old July 1st 09, 02:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

On Jun 30, 8:13*pm, Max wrote:
On Jun 30, 7:53 pm, "Dave C." wrote:

[...]

same printer installed (not your model though).- Hide quoted text -

Thanks so much, Gents, and it was so easy. I may have gone overboard
with this, but I put in four copies in addition to my default setting
and renamed them for my convenience with common the settings for my
use. This sure simplifies some of the printing applications that I
use.

Best regards,

Dave C
Old July 1st 09, 06:53 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt[_3_]

"Bob Headrick" wrote in message
. ..
"Dave C." wrote in message
:

[...]

Bob - Canon inkjet printers have a feature for setting up profiles in the
printer dialogue screen that can be easily set up, named, and selected.
Don't the HP deskjets have a similar ability? Any one of these profiles can
be set as the default in the start/settings/printers and faxes/(printer
selected), but one can change the profile on the fly. Some programs bring
up the printer dialogue box when clicking on the printer icon, but others
like MS Word simply print the document when clicking on the printer icon.
In Word or similar programs you go to File/print and the printer dialogue
box appears which permits you to change settings, including a profile.
Essentially, clicking on a preset profile eliminates the need to make
several individual settings such as page size, page orientation, color
control, type of paper, borderless printing, etc. After selecting a profile
that is not the default, you can continue to use that profile until you exit
the program from which you were printing. The printer then returns to the
default profile you had preset.

Old July 1st 09, 07:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob Headrick

"Burt" wrote in message
:

Bob - Canon inkjet printers have a feature for setting up profiles in the
printer dialogue screen that can be easily set up, named, and selected.
Don't the HP deskjets have a similar ability? Any one of these profiles can
be set as the default in the start/settings/printers and faxes/(printer
selected), but one can change the profile on the fly [snip]

HP Printers have similar "Quick set" features, but it takes four clicks
(Properties, quick-set dropdown, select, OK) to get to the proper set as
opposed to only two (Printer dropdown, select the printer) to select a
different printer instance. The OP asked how to add another printer
instance so that was the answer I gave.

Old July 2nd 09, 12:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

Joel wrote:
"Dave C." wrote:

I have an HP Deskjet 6980 printer that works very well. I have a
certain set of default preferences for routine printing that I like to
use.

I do some other printing that requires a different set of
preferences. I have to do a half dozen mouse clicks to change the
preferences each time.

Is there a way to install a second copy of the driver so I can use it
with the different set of default preferences? The setup disk with
the drivers will not let me do that. (Maybe there is a different
printer driver that would be compatible with this 6980 printer.)

Thanks,

Dave C.

I have never heard of any OS requires multiple sets of any driver, and I
never heard of any OS will accept the duped of any driver.

Windows? if you really think you need a second setup then I can show you a
trick.

- Make a dupe of the current (icon) that you can name to anything you wish,
or the default will add the (1) and (2) to the end of the original name

- Then you can change the setting and switch between them as often as you
wish.

To the best of my knowledge all Windows OS allow this. There are many
applications that absolutely require this to be done, most medical applications
fall into this category. They rely on more than one copy of the driver with
different parameters to be installed and cannot function any other way.
This is an application requirement, not an OS requirement.
Tony

Old July 2nd 09, 01:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Dave C.[_4_]

On Jul 1, 7:59*pm, Tony wrote:
Joel wrote:
"Dave C." wrote:

[...]

Tony- Hide quoted text -

Again, thanks for the process to do this (Bob H. and Max) and was
embarassly simple. I though I'd mention why I find this convenient
(at the risk of being a little boring).

As I mentioned,I have the HP Deskjet 6980. In the preferences, there
are sliders for Cyan, Magenta, Yellow and Black as well as a few
others going from -50 to 0 to +50.

I run a couple of dance bands and do some teaching here in my small
community and I write and print a lot of music copy in black. The
setting of Fast Draft Blk=0 puts down more black ink than I need. So
I set my default preferences to Fast Draft Blk = -50 which is fast and
does a perfect job.

Then when I print maps and directions, I need more black so I can
select driver Fast Draft Blk=+50 or to Fast Normal Blk = 0 or +50.
And so on for brochures and other printing needs. As Bob mentioned, I
have reduced mouse clicks from four to one.

Printing text or simple contracts, the default setting of Fast Draft
Blk = -50 is just fine and pretty fast.

Regards, Dave C.
Old July 3rd 09, 11:59 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

I don't know the HP print driver software very well. However, many
printers allow you to set numerous defaults or profiles under one
printer driver and you just call them up (usually stored on the hard
drive), as printing setup files.

You may need to look a bit deeper into the driver and see if they have
some menus that allow you to save some settings as defaults.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/