I seriously doubt Xbox 360's ability to do 1080p

Old September 28th 06, 11:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Doug Jacobs

Default I seriously doubt Xbox 360's ability to do 1080p

In alt.games.video.xbox Martin Linklater wrote:

As for HDMI I doubt the 360 has the encryption logic onboard to support
the standard. There's nothing stopping MS producing a new 360 with an
HDMI connector, but I seriously doubt you'll see an HDMI connector for
the current hardware.

Couldn't they do this in software and then just output the signal out the
existing A/V port? Sure, you'd need a 360-HDMI cable (more money for
Microsoft!) but at least it'd be a solution for the existing 360s.

Down the road when they integrate the HD-DVD drive into the 360, I don't
see why they couldn't rev the hardware to include proper HDMI support as
well. I would just have to wonder if the performance difference between
the old 360s, and these theorhetical HD-360s would be noticable or not.
Old September 28th 06, 11:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Chris F

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 22:26:12 -0000, Doug Jacobs
wrote:

In alt.games.video.xbox Martin Linklater wrote:

As for HDMI I doubt the 360 has the encryption logic onboard to support
the standard. There's nothing stopping MS producing a new 360 with an
HDMI connector, but I seriously doubt you'll see an HDMI connector for
the current hardware.

Couldn't they do this in software and then just output the signal out the
existing A/V port? Sure, you'd need a 360-HDMI cable (more money for
Microsoft!) but at least it'd be a solution for the existing 360s.

Down the road when they integrate the HD-DVD drive into the 360, I don't
see why they couldn't rev the hardware to include proper HDMI support as
well. I would just have to wonder if the performance difference between
the old 360s, and these theorhetical HD-360s would be noticable or not.

i very much doubt it, as a tiny percentage of HDTVs out there
currently support 1080p anyway.

the whole thing is basically just MS taking the **** out of Sony, as
they claimed the PS3 would be the only console offering 1080p.
--

gamertag: Chrisflynnuk
http://live.xbox.com/member/Chrisflynnuk
Old September 28th 06, 11:44 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Chris F

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:15:02 +1200, "nicely toasted"

On 2006-09-28 19:59:28 +0100, "Paulo De Souza"
said:

Cos those little 23" Samsung HDs that are in the 360 demo pods aren't
allowed to say HD Ready, since without HDCP over HDMI they can't
actually display HDTV.

Don't know about the sticker or anything but HDTV is anything that can
display a 720p
picture. So anything with 1280x720 resolution or higher can output a HDTV
image.

Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV, which
means HDCP.

What a load of ********. HDTV does not mean HDCP. Try telling your theory to
the hundreds of thousands of HDTV owners around that are currently watching
HDTV on their telly that does not support HDCP...

no, he's right, if a tv does not boast a HDMI port and a resolution
capable of displaing at least 720p, it can't be "officially" badged as
being HDTV ready in the UK, which is basically a way of showing that
the set is "futureproof"

we have a 42" LG Plasma tv, it has CVI, component and VGA inputs, but
because its a few years old, lacks HDMI, so isn't deemed HDTV Ready,
despite it being capable of displaying a High Definition analogue
picture (ie the 360)

Old September 29th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Doug Jacobs

In microsoft.public.xbox nicely toasted wrote:

What a load of ********. HDTV does not mean HDCP. Try telling your theory to
the hundreds of thousands of HDTV owners around that are currently watching
HDTV on their telly that does not support HDCP...

Not to mention all the sets that were sold BEFORE HDCP was even decided
upon. In fact, have the details been decided upon yet? I thought it was
still up in the air with regards to things like the broadcast flag and all
that junk.

Old September 29th 06, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Doug Jacobs

In microsoft.public.xbox Chris F wrote:

no, he's right, if a tv does not boast a HDMI port and a resolution
capable of displaing at least 720p, it can't be "officially" badged as
being HDTV ready in the UK, which is basically a way of showing that
the set is "futureproof"

Ah, that's the problem. The US has no such labeling. At least, not
anymore. I seem to recall early sets from maybe 3-4 years ago saying they
were "HD Ready", which meant they didn't have any internal tuners - they
were just a display.

Old September 29th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Doug Jacobs

In microsoft.public.xbox Chris F wrote:

Down the road when they integrate the HD-DVD drive into the 360, I don't
see why they couldn't rev the hardware to include proper HDMI support as
well. I would just have to wonder if the performance difference between
the old 360s, and these theorhetical HD-360s would be noticable or not.

i very much doubt it, as a tiny percentage of HDTVs out there
currently support 1080p anyway.

the whole thing is basically just MS taking the **** out of Sony, as
they claimed the PS3 would be the only console offering 1080p.

Of course I'm assuming your display can handle 1080p - otherwise, it's a
moot point if the console can do it or not.

But yes, the announcement seemed designed to take the wind out of Sony's
sails.
Old September 29th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Chris F

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 23:59:55 -0000, Doug Jacobs
wrote:

In microsoft.public.xbox Chris F wrote:

no, he's right, if a tv does not boast a HDMI port and a resolution
capable of displaing at least 720p, it can't be "officially" badged as
being HDTV ready in the UK, which is basically a way of showing that
the set is "futureproof"

Ah, that's the problem. The US has no such labeling. At least, not
anymore. I seem to recall early sets from maybe 3-4 years ago saying they
were "HD Ready", which meant they didn't have any internal tuners - they
were just a display.

aye, its just a consumer information thing more than anything else, so
you can tell if its up to spec without having to examine the
back/bottom of the set beforehand.

doesn't stop some places from trying to sell what they claim are
HDTV's though, but which are just LCD flatscreen televisions.

i remember seeing one the other day, billed as "The UK's Cheapest LCD
HDTV".....and when you check the specs, it has a native res of 850*480
or some such, making it SD, not HD.

some places are honest, and don;t label them as HDTVs, but it doesnt
stop them pushing them through their advertising as if they were,
which is where the problem lies really.

the general public doesnt have a clue about resolutions or what have
you, they see a flat screen lcd/plasma telly, they just assume it is
up to spec, which can lead to a lot of disappointed people when they
realise they can only display a 480p signal max!

Old September 29th 06, 01:40 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
Doug Jacobs

In alt.games.video.xbox Chris F wrote:

Ah, that's the problem. The US has no such labeling. At least, not
anymore. I seem to recall early sets from maybe 3-4 years ago saying they
were "HD Ready", which meant they didn't have any internal tuners - they
were just a display.

aye, its just a consumer information thing more than anything else, so
you can tell if its up to spec without having to examine the
back/bottom of the set beforehand.

It's a problem in the US since most people just assume "big screen ==
HDTV". In fact, WalMart announced it would be carrying a line of
inexpensive HDTVs - however when you actually examine them, they're just
large screen SDTVs (like your LCD example). Most of them weren't even
capable of 480p. To their credit they did have 1 true HDTV - but it was
$1400 for some wacky brand no one's heard of. You could get a better set,
at the same size, for about the same amount of money at Costco.

But again, it's pretty commonplace for stores and companies to take
advantage of uneducated consumers. And even if the government tries to
regulate labels and such, the companies still try to exploit loopholes, or
use other deceptive practices.
Old September 29th 06, 04:30 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
nicely toasted

On 2006-09-28 23:15:02 +0100, "nicely toasted" said:
Yup, but for a TV to be HD Ready it has to be able to display HDTV,
which means HDCP.

What a load of ********. HDTV does not mean HDCP. Try telling your theory
to the hundreds of thousands of HDTV owners around that are currently
watching HDTV on their telly that does not support HDCP...

I presume you're an American then, and have different rules. In the UK you
can't get HDTV without HDCP.

Actually no, I'm in Australia.

Old September 29th 06, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.tv.tech.hdtv,alt.games.video.xbox,microsoft.public.xbox,uk.games.video.xbox
stopdropandroll

I promise you'll still have fun at 720 p. Dont be dumb.