OEM vs Retail XP Pro

Old April 20th 05, 01:33 AM
jeh

Default OEM vs Retail XP Pro

Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions of xp
pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing upgrading here and
there occasionally you might run into problems with oem versions.
John.
Old April 20th 05, 03:02 AM
John Doe

jeh wrote:

Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions
of xp pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing
upgrading here and there occasionally you might run into
problems with oem versions.

I think the only difference is that you must do a clean install with
the OEM version. I never do an upgrade install anyway (maybe once a
long time ago), so OEM is fine.

In direct answer to your question, No, I don't think there is any
difference in that way. If you do upgrade installations with the
retail version, you are more likely to run into problems. Doing
clean installs is more work upfront. It's up to you.

This might be more advanced than the options you need, but the real
way to install Windows is to make incremental backup copies and keep
copies you can revert to when things go wrong. Even now with XP's
stability, I wouldn't do without a disk manager.

Old April 20th 05, 03:34 AM
JD

jeh wrote:
Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions of xp
pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing upgrading here and
there occasionally you might run into problems with oem versions.
John.

the main difference between OEM and Retail is that OEM has no packaging
or instructions (other than a quick start), there is no product support
and you cannot transfer the operating system to another pc eg. you buy a
new computer without windows you cannot install a previously installed
OEM version on it (well your not supposed to)

Retail version has product support, packaging and you can transfer it to
another computer.
Old April 20th 05, 06:03 AM
David Maynard

JD wrote:

jeh wrote:

Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions of xp
pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing upgrading here and
there occasionally you might run into problems with oem versions.
John.

the main difference between OEM and Retail is that OEM has no packaging
or instructions (other than a quick start), there is no product support
and you cannot transfer the operating system to another pc eg. you buy a
new computer without windows you cannot install a previously installed
OEM version on it (well your not supposed to)

Which is also why the OEM version does not support 'upgrading' a prior O.S..

Old April 20th 05, 07:04 AM
John Weiss

"jeh" wrote...
Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions of xp
pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing upgrading here and there
occasionally you might run into problems with oem versions.

Included drivers.

Support -- none from MS on an OEM serial number.

Lack of some add-ons (e.g., NetBEUI).

You may not get a CD for OEM.

Old April 20th 05, 11:07 AM
jeh

John Doe wrote:
jeh wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you have a lot of problems with XP. I've been doing pretty
good with 98, and I'm sort of hesitant to change, but I do some work
online with various companies and they are starting to require a more
updated os for the security aspect of it. Think I should wait for Longhorn?
Thanks.
Old April 20th 05, 01:08 PM
Ed Medlin

"David Maynard" wrote in message
JD wrote:

jeh wrote:

Is there any real difference between the oem and retail versions of xp
pro? I've heard that if you're going to be doing upgrading here and
there occasionally you might run into problems with oem versions.
John.

the main difference between OEM and Retail is that OEM has no packaging
or instructions (other than a quick start), there is no product support
and you cannot transfer the operating system to another pc eg. you buy a
new computer without windows you cannot install a previously installed
OEM version on it (well your not supposed to)

Which is also why the OEM version does not support 'upgrading' a prior
O.S..

I have updated a Toshiba laptop of mine that had a Toshiba version of XP
Home with an OEM version of XP Pro and it worked just fine. As far as
updating from 98 or ME I don't know because back then I upgraded with a
retail version. I wound up reinstalling XP Pro clean after deciding I didn't
want or need all the junk that Toshiba installs with it's version of XP
Home.

Retail version has product support, packaging and you can transfer it to
another computer.

The above OEM XP Pro that I installed on the Toshiba was previously
installed on a Sony Vaio laptop that bit the dust. I didn't even need to
call MS to activate. It activated just as a retail version would. I think
the largest difference is the packaging and lack of product support. If you
can do without those, I think the OEM version is a good deal. Of course, you
must purchase a major computer component (supposedly) to get an OEM copy. I
have an OEM version of XP Pro on this system and it is my "test" system
(guinea pig if u will) and have changed virtually everything in it and have
had to make the 10 min call to MS on a few occasions but just telling them I
upgraded, which is true, and they just reactivated normally.

Ed

Old April 20th 05, 03:17 PM
Papa

If your hardware is up to the challenge, you will find that XP is a big
improvement over W98, such as for the security enhancements that you
mentioned.

Old April 20th 05, 10:16 PM
John Doe

jeh wrote:
John Doe wrote:

[...]

I put my personal computer to the test, persistently. Currently, I
am beginning what in my little world is a new era of speech
recognition, integrating that into the whole. I am looking forward
to integrating speech into my system wide macro recorder, to make
Windows dance on my verbal command.

Even if you do little with your computer, a disk manager probably
is useful. Apparently you do enough, since you are concerned
enough to ask about OEM versus retail versions of Windows XP.

If you don't mind the hassles, stick with Windows 98. I wouldn't
recommend Windows XP because I want to increase Microsoft's
wealth. You just have to keep paying personal computer user dues
if you want a smooth running system.

Old April 20th 05, 11:04 PM

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 21:16:56 GMT, John Doe
wrote:

.. Currently, I
am beginning what in my little world is a new era of speech
recognition, integrating that into the whole. I am looking forward
to integrating speech into my system wide macro recorder, to make
Windows dance on my verbal command.

If you're into C++. here's a great page on making speech reco
programs. http://www.generation5.org/content/2001/sr00.asp
and
http://www.generation5.org/articles....0Recognitio n

I wrote a speech-driven Windows Media Player. Just say "Play ..." and
it does (most of the time!)