Looking for ASUS' Flagship MOBO

Old April 6th 12, 11:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Smitty

Default Looking for ASUS' Flagship MOBO

Hello group. I want to upgrade from my GIGABYTE mobo to ASUS. could
the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore AMD
Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
Also please share with me how it performs on your system.
Old April 6th 12, 11:22 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Smitty

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 05:21:36 -0500, John Smitty wrote:

Hello group. I want to upgrade from my GIGABYTE mobo to ASUS. could
the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore AMD
Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
Also please share with me how it performs on your system.

PS my CPU is 64bit capable
Old April 6th 12, 11:28 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
John Smitty

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 05:22:43 -0500, John Smitty wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 05:21:36 -0500, John Smitty wrote:

Hello group. I want to upgrade from my GIGABYTE mobo to ASUS. could
the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore AMD
Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
Also please share with me how it performs on your system.

PS my CPU is 64bit capable

Oh yes I need onboard video
Old April 6th 12, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

John Smitty wrote:
On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 05:22:43 -0500, John Smitty wrote:

On Fri, 06 Apr 2012 05:21:36 -0500, John Smitty wrote:

Hello group. I want to upgrade from my GIGABYTE mobo to ASUS. could
the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore AMD
Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
Also please share with me how it performs on your system.

PS my CPU is 64bit capable

Oh yes I need onboard video

First step, is start with the Asus CPU support chart, plug in X2 255 and
see which boards actually support your CPU. It's up to you to verify your
CPU is actually supported by these motherboards.

http://support.asus.com/CPUSupport/L...x?SLanguage=en

*******

It doesn't look like there is much to choose from.

This one is an open box, and has built in graphics. M4A89GTD PRO/USB3
Normally it would be about $150. Chipset is 890GX.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...2E16813131631R

This one is based on 880G chipset. M5A88-V EVO AM3+. $115.
The slot layout isn't as useful, at least to me. The other board
had x16 or x8,x8 while this one is fixed x16,x4. I get fewer
useful slots from this one.

What I was looking for, is the fastest GPU for the onboard graphics,
and the 890GX is HD 4290 while the 880G is HD 4250. The numbers
are a measure of the graphics core contained in the Northbridge.

Between the Asus CPU Support list, and the list of boards on Newegg,
you should be able to narrow it down to some choices, then buy the
motherboard from a source closer to you. The Newegg adverts have
pictures, which is why I use them for illustration purposes.

You can also use the Wikipedia articles on chipsets. These are
better than any advertising fluff you'll find on the AMD site.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_800_chipset_series

890GX HD 4290
880G HD 4250

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_900_chipset_series

(No chipset with internal GPU)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units

HD 4290 40:4:4 560MHz
HD 4250 40:4:4 700MHz

So it turns out, the difference between 4250 and 4290 isn't that much.

40:4:4 = 40 Unified Shaders : 4 Texture mapping unit : 4 Render Output unit

By requesting onboard graphics, that limits the number of boards
that will satisfy your requirements. You can still get motherboards
with 880G or 890GX, but there might not be as many to choose from.

Paul
Old April 6th 12, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Paul wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compari...ocessing_units

HD 4250 40:4:4 560MHz
HD 4290 40:4:4 700MHz

Oops, got the MHz mixed up. The higher HD number has the higher clock speed
on the core.

Paul
Old April 6th 12, 08:04 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Geoff

I have an Athlon X2 265 on an Asus M4A88TD. I also have another computer
with a 4-core black edition CPU. However, for what I do, there is not much
difference.

The most intense thing I do is simple video editing. With the 4-core, I
tried Adobe's video editing software but it ran really slow, so, I went back
to a simpler, cooler machine, an X2.

For your CPU, you are at the end already meaning, I don't think any new
hardware will knock your socks off in terms of performance.

--g

Old April 7th 12, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bob F

wrote:

Hello group. I want to upgrade from my GIGABYTE mobo to ASUS. could
the group please recommend the ASUS FLAGSHIP mobo for my DualCore
AMD Athlon II X2 255, 3100 MHz (15.5 x 200) CPU? Thanks IN Advance!
Also please share with me how it performs on your system.

PS my CPU is 64bit capable

Oh yes I need onboard video

Can a "flagship" motherboard have onboard video?