External serial port connector for P5B-E motherboard?

Old April 13th 12, 08:56 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bert[_4_]

Default External serial port connector for P5B-E motherboard?

The P5B-E motherboard has a single serial port that's not brought out to
the rear panel. The book shows a connector module that mounts in an
expansion slot with the note "The serial port module is purchased
separately."

Is there some place I can lay my hands on one of these? There's no
indication of a part number in the book.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old April 13th 12, 09:57 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

Bert wrote:
The P5B-E motherboard has a single serial port that's not brought out to
the rear panel. The book shows a connector module that mounts in an
expansion slot with the note "The serial port module is purchased
separately."

Is there some place I can lay my hands on one of these? There's no
indication of a part number in the book.

An "AT-Everex" perhaps ?

http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

*******

There are two wiring standards for adapters. AT-Everex and DTK.
Pccables carries both of them.

Asus motherboards should all use the same standards. So
if one Asus uses AT-Everex, they all should. I don't
recollect any instances of users finding their *modern*
Asus motherboard was a DTK.

For reference, this is the link to the DTK flavor.

http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm

*******

And this is the guy who did the original research and concluded
the 07120 was the correct one.

http://web.archive.org/web/201004022...y/p4c800e.html

*******

I tried to reach estore.asus.com today, but got no answer, so
perhaps they're out of business. They sell accessories for
Asus motherboards, but only in a "half serious" way. There
probably wasn't enough volume in that business, for it to stay
open.

Paul
Old April 13th 12, 10:12 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bert[_4_]

In Paul wrote:

An "AT-Everex" perhaps ?

http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

*******

There are two wiring standards for adapters. AT-Everex and DTK.
Pccables carries both of them.

That certainly looks like what I'm after; at the price, I could order one
of each just to be safe.

Thanks!

--
St. Paul, MN
Old April 14th 12, 05:27 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
ghostrider

On 4/13/2012 2:12 PM, Bert wrote:
In wrote:

An "AT-Everex" perhaps ?

http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

*******

There are two wiring standards for adapters. AT-Everex and DTK.
Pccables carries both of them.

That certainly looks like what I'm after; at the price, I could order one
of each just to be safe.

Thanks!

It might be far simpler to provide the vendor
with the specific model/version of the motherboard.
Failing this, send the spec sheet for the pinouts
of the serial port header on the motherboard. It
can be found in the motherboard manual.

GR
Old April 14th 12, 06:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Paul

ghostrider 00 wrote:
On 4/13/2012 2:12 PM, Bert wrote:
In wrote:

An "AT-Everex" perhaps ?

http://www.pccables.com/07120.htm

*******

There are two wiring standards for adapters. AT-Everex and DTK.
Pccables carries both of them.

That certainly looks like what I'm after; at the price, I could order one
of each just to be safe.

Thanks!

It might be far simpler to provide the vendor
with the specific model/version of the motherboard.
Failing this, send the spec sheet for the pinouts
of the serial port header on the motherboard. It
can be found in the motherboard manual.

GR

I have the manual here, e2779_p5b-e.pdf.

No pinout, and no "name" for the type either. Just a
stick art diagram showing the connector is 2x5 with
a keying pin missing, which matches both the AT-Everex
and the DTK. On page 58 of 158 pages total.

And if I do a site search against asus.com , I don't find
"AT/Everex" on the site, on say support.asus.com .

So you're left to figure it out on your own.

A site like estore.asus.com would have carried them,
for North American customers. But that site appears
to be gone.

A poster on vip.asus.com suggests the "V1" connector here,
and if you compare it to the 07120 Everex photo, of how the
ribbon crosses over before being soldered to the solder-tail
9 pin D-sub, it's te same wiring.

http://www.frontx.com/cpx102_2.html

( Mentioned he http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=128999 )

Paul
Old April 14th 12, 06:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Bert[_4_]

In ghostrider "
00 wrote:

Failing this, send the spec sheet for the pinouts
of the serial port header on the motherboard. It
can be found in the motherboard manual.

You'd think so, but that's not the case.

--
St. Paul, MN
Old April 18th 12, 10:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Anssi Saari

Bert writes:

In ghostrider "
00 wrote:

Failing this, send the spec sheet for the pinouts
of the serial port header on the motherboard. It
can be found in the motherboard manual.

You'd think so, but that's not the case.

Yes, it's pretty annoying that Asus doesn't include that. I lucked out
and found a suitable adapter for my P5Q Deluxe in the box of some older
Asus motherboard. Of course that was after I managed to buy the wrong
kind of adaptor.
Old April 20th 12, 11:32 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
goldy[_2_]

I Have A8N-SLI Premium And It Has A Serial Port Connector COM1. If
You Get The Manual For The Site Page 2-25 You Can See. Part Number On
The Bag Is "14G000020093". Found This Site.

http://www.zmaxtech.com/14g000020093.html

Good Luck,
goldy