Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windowswhen using AV protection?

Old March 28th 10, 11:26 PM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dustin Cook

Default Seriously, has anybody ever seen a serious virus problem in Windows when using AV protection?

Peter wrote in
om:

In article ,
says...
Peter wrote in
om:

In article ,
says...
Peter wrote in
om:

In article ,
says...
Char Jackson wrote in
:

I'll take your word for it since I don't know where you'd
like me to "look it up!". All I can say is that I have
*never* seen an XP system

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP

And I quote: "
Product key testing

In addition to activation, Windows XP service packs will refuse
to install on Windows XP systems with product keys known to be
widely used in unauthorized installations.

Like I said in my previous response to you, I've been in the PC
field for a very long time. I was A+ certified when it was
still a "cool" thing to waste money on.

I used wikipedia for the first link convenience only. You can
find the same information on the laborinth of MS website.
They're proud of that .. ehh, feature actually.

Please provide a link other than Wikipedia. I've searched for
this activation issue with sp3 and can only find the Wikipedia
link. Can't find any mention of it on Microsoft Support or
anywhere else.
As Char Jackson stated, updates are still allowed even if WGA
fails and this is the first I've heard of service packs not
being allowed.

*sigh*. This is really easy, I've provided a primary google link;
and then I followed it up with the wikipedia link. I went so far
as to provide the first 5 characters of the infamous blacklisted
key. I can do no more homework for you or anyone else.

If you or anyone else here honestly didn't know about this
problem, you do now. If you still think it's untrue, go fetch the
key FCKGW change one of the VLK machines to this key and try

Ok, I'm curious enough to want to give this a try, though all my
machines are up to date so in order to test this I'm going to have
to do a fresh install on a new HD. Just need to clear some things
up though. Once XP is installed, using the key you mentioned (ends
in 2B7Q8, yes?), will sp2 or sp3 fail to install immediately after
fresh

Load the virgin OS with that key and try loading sp2 or 3; either is
fine as both will tell you to go away..

install, or will I have to update this machine with the various
updates first, including the WGA update? Don't want to spend over
an hour on this only to find I need to do it again correctly.

No, it'll bitch when you try loading a service pack.

Installed O/S. Tried installing sp2 from disc. It wouldn't let me
because of the product key. Just like you said.

Thanks for testing it Peter.

--
"Hrrngh! Someday I'm going to hurl this...er...roll this...hrrngh.. nudge
this boulder right down a cliff." - Goblin Warrior

Old March 29th 10, 12:23 AM posted to comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.anti-virus,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FromTheRafters[_2_]

"Dustin Cook" wrote in message
.. .
Peter wrote in
om:

Installed O/S. Tried installing sp2 from disc. It wouldn't let me
because of the product key. Just like you said.

Thanks for testing it Peter.

Like he said, "...nothing better than personal experience."