Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter

Old November 1st 06, 05:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter

I got this Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099392876384

It keeps connecting at 11 Mbps though instead of 54. Any ideas why?

My router is set for 802.11b and g. I would think it would use g if
possible.

Old November 1st 06, 07:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

wrote:
I got this Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099392876384

It keeps connecting at 11 Mbps though instead of 54. Any ideas why?

My router is set for 802.11b and g. I would think it would use g if
possible.

Didn't Kony tell you belkin sucked? Something about poor signal
strength. And you went and bought it anyway? Was it free after rebate?

Anyway. Move closer to the router, and you'll likely get 54mpbs back.
FWIW, 11mbps will keep up with the fastest consumer broadband. The 54
mbps is definitely an improvement for LAN, though.

Old November 1st 06, 08:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

wrote:
I got this Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099392876384

It keeps connecting at 11 Mbps though instead of 54. Any ideas why?

My router is set for 802.11b and g. I would think it would use g if
possible.

Have a look at this article first:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

The modulation techniques would appear to depend on
reception conditions. And there is more to it than
just "signal strength". Your enemies are interference
(that 2.4GHz phone you own, or a microwave oven) and
multipath (strong signal, insufficient adsorption in
the environment, reflections off surfaces). The answer
is not always a "bigger antenna" or a "booster".
Especially in your basement testing, you likely have
plenty of signal.

And having said all that, it could be the software
is doing the opposite of what it has been told to
do. Maybe one end of the connection insists on using
the slower standard ?

Paul
Old November 1st 06, 05:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On 31 Oct 2006 21:31:23 -0800, wrote:

I got this Belkin Wireless-G USB 2.0 Network Adapter:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099392876384

It keeps connecting at 11 Mbps though instead of 54. Any ideas why?

My router is set for 802.11b and g. I would think it would use g if
possible.

If the signal strength is too low it might be expected.
Since it's USB, if you have the option of putting it on an
extension cable so it can be moved away from large metal
objects and repositioned, it might help. If the distance is
too great, it may not help enough. You might also take
another look at your router's control panel (HTTP browser
interface) to see if there are any settings you can fiddle
with like locking it to g mode- but that might make
performance even worse than b.