Two different PCI-E graphics cards - possible?

Old June 4th 08, 06:08 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

Default Two different PCI-E graphics cards - possible?

My mobo = P5K Premium 'black pearl'. I have an nVidia-based 8800GT in
the blue PCI-E slot. Can I put an ATI-based PCI-E card in the other
black PCI-E slot?

Please note I don't want "SLI" or "Crossfire". Instead, I want to use
one graphics card for one XP-based HDD partition setup, and the other
graphics card for another seperate XP-based HDD partition setup.

Inside the P5K Premium black pearl BIOS, there is an option to toggle
between either PEG or PCI for the initial graphics card. There's also
other related options next to this that says:

PEG Port Control (Auto/Disabled)
PEG Port Force x 1 (Enabled/Disabled)

ASUS C.G.I. Function (Auto/Enabled/Disabled) CGI = cross graphics
impeller

I'm sure that having one PCI-E and one PCI graphics card is allowed.
But two different PCI-E graphics cards (which are not in SLI /
Crossfire mode)?

Thanks a lot for any thoughts, Best regards, Robert.
Old June 6th 08, 07:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Jan Arkesteijn

"rpgs rock dvds" schreef in bericht
[...]

Hi Robert

I cannot give any guarantee for your situation but I have used
an A8N-SLI mobo, with an PCI-E XFX 6800 GT plus a PCI-E Matrox
Parhelia APVe plus a PCI FX5200 with up to 7 monitors for several
years without any problem
May be you can find more info here :
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon...?forum=1&tmpl=

See you, Jan

Old June 7th 08, 08:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

On 6 Jun, 07:53, "Jan Arkesteijn" wrote:
"rpgs rock dvds" schreef in ...

[...]

See you, Jan- Hide quoted text -

Thanks a lot for your post Jan, I'll check out that interesting link
you provided.
All the best from Robert.
Old June 7th 08, 05:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin[_4_]

"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in message
[...]

It is no problem at all. I run two 8800GTX cards in SLI and in just a few
seconds I can disable SLI and the cards are independent of each other and
can each run two monitors on their DVI out ports. For some reason, dual
monitors just don't work correctly while in SLI and the outputs are disabled
on one card.

Ed

Old June 8th 08, 09:08 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

On 7 Jun, 17:26, "Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
"rpgs rock dvds" wrote in ...
[...]

Ed- Hide quoted text -

But please note that I want to try running 2 different types of PCI-E
cards, one nVidia the other ATI. If I bootup the PC, how do I choose
which PCI-E card will be the primary display card?
Old June 8th 08, 02:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Ed Medlin[_4_]

[...]

The only problem you may have is a conflict with the ATI and Nvidia drivers.
Give it a try and post back with the results.

Ed

Old June 8th 08, 02:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
name[_3_]

"Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote in message

[...]

With an A8N SLI, I'm running an ATI X300 and a NVIDIA 8600GT with no
problem. To select primary display, go to display properties/settings and
select the monitor on the card you want to be primary.

john

Old June 8th 08, 02:54 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Peter Johnson[_3_]

On Sun, 8 Jun 2008 01:08:19 -0700 (PDT), rpgs rock dvds
wrote:

But please note that I want to try running 2 different types of PCI-E
cards, one nVidia the other ATI. If I bootup the PC, how do I choose
which PCI-E card will be the primary display card?

Look in the bios. I don't know your MB but my Asus M2N32-SLI has a
setting to configure the primary adapter - the options are PCI slot
ans PCI-E slot. I guess your biggest problem will be getting the two
drivers to co-exist.
Old June 8th 08, 04:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Zootal

But please note that I want to try running 2 different types of PCI-E
cards, one nVidia the other ATI. If I bootup the PC, how do I choose
which PCI-E card will be the primary display card?

IIRC, the card in the lowest numbered pci-e slot will be considered to be
the primary. However, once Windows is started you can tell it which one you
want to be primary.

Old June 10th 08, 08:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
rpgs rock dvds

On 4 Jun, 18:08, rpgs rock dvds wrote:
[...]

Thanks very much for all comments.

Graphics cards Grumps General 5 December 30th 07 08:49 PM
How bad are PCI graphics cards? Dave (from the UK) Homebuilt PC's 13 March 25th 06 03:41 AM
Graphics Cards Benjamin General Hardware 1 March 10th 05 01:47 AM
PCI-X graphics cards? Michael McGarry Nvidia Videocards 2 November 16th 04 12:39 AM
Graphics cards Chris General Hardware 2 November 26th 03 06:47 PM