MGS4 looks hugely downgraded on PS3 b/c of Nvidia RSX compared torealtime 2005 demo running on dual GF 7800

Old May 28th 08, 09:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
Inquiry

Default MGS4 looks hugely downgraded on PS3 b/c of -= BITCH, YOU'RE HURTING AND WE ALL SEE IT. YOU MAN ENUOUGH TO ADMIT IT?

Old May 28th 08, 09:59 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
John Lewis

Default MGS4 looks hugely downgraded on PS3 b/c of Nvidia RSX compared to realtime 2005 demo running on dual GF 7800

On Tue, 27 May 2008 06:38:44 -0700 (PDT), AirRaid
wrote:

final game in 2008 on PS3 with RSX

.... rest deleted...

Our "favorite" anti-nVidia/anti-PS3 troll is active again.

Just ignore.

John Lewis
Old May 28th 08, 10:41 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
Jason[_6_]

Well I'm neither an MGS fan nor a PS3 fan, guess that's why I'm on a 360
newsgroup, lol.
But to play devil's advocate for a second, pictures on the internet don't
mean ****! Halo 3 pics looked fantastic online, but when people started
playing it and realized there was no anti-aliasing during actual gameplay,
they lost it.
As for the bland colour choices, it is a bit surprising although the MGS
games have never been big on the bright and flashy colours.
As others have mentioned though, what matters is how the game plays.
Graphics is only a small piece of the overall picture. How does the game
play? How's the audio? What kind of replay value does it offer, because if
you're only gonna wanna play it a couple of times, it's not a purchase and
more of a rental. Is the story any good?
The last one I can see being very important because if a game is gonna have
piles of cut scenes, they'd better be interesting.
The final word in all of this would be that this is suppose to be the crown
jewel, the system saver, the reason the majority of people bought PS3's to
begin with, if it doesn't deliver at least 9's across the board, this will
be the biggest video game disappointment in a very long time.

P.S.
Next on the chopping block, Killzone 2, whenever that one gets done.....

Old May 30th 08, 07:26 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
The alMIGHTY N

On May 27, 6:28 pm, "boodybandit" wrote:
"AirRaid" wrote in message

final game in 2008 on PS3 with RSX

Awe. Are you ****ed off that Ubisoft all but cancelled Splinter Cell?
Poor kid.

Where'd you hear that? I just did a search on Google and couldn't find
a recent story about delays. The last piece of news about the game on
IGN was from January.
Old May 30th 08, 10:28 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
AirRaid

On May 27, 12:26 pm, Mark Johnson wrote:
AirRaid wrote:
final game in 2008 on PS3 with RSX

http://i26.tinypic.com/29mso6a.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/wcn4if.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/294gu3c.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/3452795.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/2rzqsyd.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/wu49xv.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/madymo.jpg
http://i27.tinypic.com/21d3ckj.jpg
http://i25.tinypic.com/otp9h1.jpg
http://i30.tinypic.com/2ihv29w.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/28s98o4.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/fm1hlz.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/72zy29.jpg
http://i32.tinypic.com/332tc7s.jpg
http://i31.tinypic.com/15hyer5.jpg
http://i26.tinypic.com/2who64z.jpg
http://i29.tinypic.com/15x6emx.jpg

RSX
8 ROPs @ 500 MHz = 4000 Mpixels/s fillrate
128-bit bus w/ 650 MHz GDDR3 = 22.4 GB/sec bandwidth

original REALTIME MGS4 demo trailer from fall 2005
running on development kit with GF 7800 SLI

http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/ar...tal-gear-solid...

2x GF 7800
32 ROPs
2x 256-bit bus

far more fillrate & bandwidth than RSX

And it still looks like one of the best games on any console.

MGS4 looks pretty damn good, but not as good as it did in 2005, and
there is no excuse because in 2005 it was realtime too.

Plus a little thing you seem to have left out, is that the PS3 uses some
of the Cell for graphics too. So combining the Cell + RSX, the
fillrates will be a lot higher.

Mark, the Cell CPU only does certain things for graphics. Cell
absolutely does NOT increase the pixel fillrate or texel fillrate of
PS3, whatsoever. Cell is NOT a GPU. What the RSX has, in terms of
fillrate, is what the PS3 has, and no more..

CELL's contribution to graphics, is on the front end of the graphics
pipeline: that is, things such as geometry/vertex transform, skinning,
animation, etc. Not on the rasterization end, which is what RSX is
responsible for, and where Cell cannot help out. The development
kit that Konami had in 2005 to run that first trailer also had CEL, I
believe.

The point I am making is that the development kit / workstation that
Konami used to run the realtime MGS4 demo at fall TGS 2005 had,
without question, more graphics rendering power/performance/speed than
PS3 does. That's just a fact, not an opinion.

Proof of what I am saying is clearly there for those who compare
closely the original 2005 trailer (cinemas) to the current game
(cinemas).

What I am saying, again, it is not a matter of my opinion, it's just
fact.

Does that mean I'm not gonna buy MGS4 and enjoy the hell out of it?
Of course not. I'm just pointing some facts out. It also jives with
what Kojima has said recently about MGS4 and PS3 not being what he
wanted it to be.

Old May 31st 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
Blig Merk

The alMIGHTY Nitwit scribbled:
"AirRaid" wrote in message

final game in 2008 on PS3 with RSX

Awe. Are you ****ed off that Ubisoft all but cancelled Splinter Cell?
Poor kid.

Where'd you hear that? I just did a search on Google and couldn't find
a recent story about delays. The last piece of news about the game on
IGN was from January.

Wow, alMIGHTY Nitwit, you are more out of it than you have previously
indicated. And you "used the Googles on duh Internetz"? It was a no-
show at M$ Gamer Day, then a magazine article said it was so bad it
had gone back for complete re-work and now, it was a no-show at
Ubisoft Ubidays:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...89247&skip=yes

Splinter Cell Conviction "back to the drawing board"
19-May-2008

360-exclusive "officially on hold", says magazine report. Nothing this
year

Splinter Cell Conviction has been taken "back to the drawing board" by
Ubisoft Montreal.

That's according to a report in the latest Xbox World 360 mag. Though
Ubisoft isn't saying anything, the mag says it's heard that the
surprising development decision has forced Splinter Cell back into the
festive period of 2009 - or as late as Spring 2010.

Conviction has been in development for some years now, surfacing early
last year with combat involving dynamic scenery and crowd stealth
gameplay that focused on mixing in with the public in Washington DC -
a bit like Assassin's.

According to XBW, it's likely that the decision was made after
Conviction was outdated by more recent gaming developments - most
notably Ubisoft's own Assassin's Creed.

Ubisoft's UbiDays event is due to take place in Paris next week, so
hopefully we'll get an official word then.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com....php?id=189720

UbiDays: Splinter Cell a no-show
28-May-2008
Delay rumours look to be true for 360-exclusive Conviction...

Splinter Cell: Conviction has failed to surface at Ubisoft's Ubidays
event in Paris, which was used to showcase the publisher's releases
for the upcoming year.

The no-show at the showcase event has strengthened reports that the PC
and 360-exclusive stealth game has been "taken back to the drawing
board" by Ubisoft Montreal, as reported by Xbox World 360 magazine.

Conviction has been in development for some years now, surfacing early
last year with combat involving dynamic scenery and crowd stealth
gameplay that focused on mixing in with the public.

We've no idea if it'll look anywhere near the same when it finally
does resurface, but obviously we'll let you know when it happens.
Old June 1st 08, 06:45 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox
Blig Fart

"AirRaid" wrote in message

[...]

Wow, you cum-sucking ****, you post an article revealing some need for SCC
to go back for a re-do, yet as many times a Hazed was put-off, one would
think you'd even be able to realise that is should have never been a
concept.