Advice Needed On My Computer

Old June 30th 03, 11:28 AM
Harry

Default Advice Needed On My Computer

"How long is a piece of string?"

Upgrading a PC will always be necessary if you want the latest and
greatest. I upgrade my PC every 2 years, and I expect to do so for the
next 90 years until I die.

Development on PCs will never cease and their will always be better
and faster PC components to upgrade to.

Your current spec is pretty fast and will probably be out of date
within 6 months. However, it will probably be plenty fast enough for
most folk for a year or 2.

Sorry, I cant give a definitive answer on your question.

Harry

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:07:30 +1200, "Loupole"
wrote:

I have built a P4 Computer and was wanted to know how long will this
computer last until I have to upgrade again...I have been building computers
since I was 17, I am 27 now and have gone through 9 computers in the pass 10
years...
How many more computers will I have to go through in my life until I am
happy...

These are the specs of my machine at present...

P4 2.53GHZ (533mhz)
ABit IT7 Motherboard (With 6ch Audio)
1GB 2700 Ram (2x512)
2x120GB Seagate Harddrives
Leadtek GeForce 4 TI4600 128MB Graphics Card
Cnet 56k Modem
LG 52x CD Rom
LG 16x DVD Rom
LG 52x24x52 CD Writer
1.44mb Floppy Drive

I am happy with this machine.....Just wanting to know how long will I have
to use this machine before I have to upgrade again.....I have just got to
the point where I just can't keep up with computer technlogy now.....I see
there is some new faster CPUs,Motherboard's,Ram's,Graphics Cards on the
market now and it makes my machine look like its old technlogy now and its
not even a year old...Am I Right or Wrong ?? is computer technlogy moving
too quickly for us all to keep up......

Loupole

Old June 30th 03, 11:38 AM
Loupole

Thanks Harry you are a big help ?? You give me a ideal now on a life cycle
of a computer...

I use my machine for games that are ten years old and using the internet and
maybe some digital editing.....

Loupole

Old June 30th 03, 11:51 AM
Strontium

Sounds like you should be set, for at least 10yrs, then. What determines
whether I upgrade, or not, is how I use the box. I wasn't really into
gaming. But, did have a few graphically intensive games that I liked. So,
I did a 'mild' upgrade (as money was tight) and, got a decent video card.
That held me, for about 1.5yrs, until I started getting into a lot of games.
In order to keep up with newer games, not upgrading really isn't an option
(at least once a year for video, maybe every 2yrs for
CPU/Motherboard/Memory). Money has been tight, the past year or so.
Normally, I will just upgrade because I love building. Then, putting all
the hand-me-down components in other boxes. Eventually, having a chain of
computers. Each one, a step up from the last lol. Gets to be an expensive
hobby, though.

-

--
You, probably, thought you weren't going to die, today...SURPRISE!"

-The main character in Postal 2

Old June 30th 03, 06:04 PM
Adrian

I have built a P4 Computer and was wanted to know how long will this
computer last until I have to upgrade again...

Oh, about five minutes! Just joking.

I'd give up. It's a rat-race and you'll never win. You really have to buy
components for your PC and say "this is it, I'm keeping this no matter
what". I too have been building compueters for a while and no sooner you
build your PC, the next whiz-bang CPU comes out making your CPU "old". Same
with the graphics card, RAM to a certain extent, sound card, motherboard,
etc.

The problem isn't any different with buying a brand-name PC either.

Really, just buy your components and live with them. Sure, you could buy
the 3.2GHz CPU that is out just now, but in a few months, the next CPU will
be out. I'd just close the case on your PC and leave it alone.

CNET makes modems?! Nice system by the way.

~ Adrian ~

Old June 30th 03, 06:06 PM
Adrian

what". I too have been building compueters for a while and no sooner you

I even build "computers" as well. :-)

~ Adrian ~

Old June 30th 03, 08:41 PM
Loupole

Tell me about it !! It is expenisve hobby for me too.....But I usually sell
my old machines to the needey and they really profit from it.......

Loupole

Old June 30th 03, 10:35 PM
Ralph Mowery

I have built a P4 Computer and was wanted to know how long will this
computer last until I have to upgrade again...I have been building

computers
since I was 17, I am 27 now and have gone through 9 computers in the pass

10
years...
How many more computers will I have to go through in my life until I am
happy...

These are the specs of my machine at present...

P4 2.53GHZ (533mhz)
ABit IT7 Motherboard (With 6ch Audio)
1GB 2700 Ram (2x512)
2x120GB Seagate Harddrives
Leadtek GeForce 4 TI4600 128MB Graphics Card
Cnet 56k Modem
LG 52x CD Rom
LG 16x DVD Rom
LG 52x24x52 CD Writer
1.44mb Floppy Drive

YOu are already out of date , the 3.something processors are out. It
depends on what you are diong with the computer as to how long it will be
good enough for you.

One thing , is cable or DSL in your area for the internet ? Or maybe the
satalite connection "

I have been updating the computer from the TRS-80 days, so I know what you
mean.