i.e. still not working correctly

Old February 24th 04, 02:55 PM
j.lef

Default i.e. still not working correctly

Still cant get my i.e. to function correctly. If I delete the program
in control panel, will I be able to reinstall just my i.e. off the win xp
disc, without it harming anything else?
Could the reinstall of this possibly solve my problem, of error
message telling me this page cannot open, and the only option is to hit
okay, which entirely closes out my browser. Half on my normal saved sites,
give me this message now.
I installed netscape, and no problem using it, but I much prefer
i.e.

Much regards Jerry

Old February 24th 04, 04:45 PM
Joan F \(MI\)

Try this:

How to Reinstall or Repair Internet Explorer and
Outlook Express in Windows XP (Q318378)

In ,
j.lef stated

Old February 24th 04, 11:19 PM
Edward J. Neth

Give the system a run with the Winsock XP Fixer.
http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe

Old February 25th 04, 05:54 AM
j.lef

Thanks Edward.
I tried the fix, and unfortunately it didnt solve the
problem, but suprisingly, it let me access a few sites that I couldnt get
into before, but still have the major problem.
The only choice I have when the message comes up is to abort,
which closes out my browser. Sometimes when I go to a site, it automatically
closes explorer without even giving me an option. I have never encountered
this before. I have never installed a spyware program or adware program
deleter, but I do have pow pop up blocker(from analogx), which is a manual
blocker only for the things I select. Disabling it, does not fix the
problem. Do you think this program, which I have been using for about two
months(its a nice free program by the way) could be the originator of my
explorer problem?

Much regards Jerry

Much regards Jerry
om...

Old February 25th 04, 11:03 AM
me,myself and moe

does winXP still have the system file checker utility? I know this solved a
similar IE problem in a win98se machine.

Curtis

Old February 25th 04, 09:21 PM
Ben Myers

Jerry,

1. Download and use Mozilla 1.6 as your primary browser. Period. It does not
get messed up. It has a built-in popup blocker.
2. Downlaod and run Spybot and Ad-Aware, both after obtaining the latest updates
from their respective web sites.

IE could have gotten snarled up all on its own, or some spyware, malware, worm,
or other dastardly-ware could have made the mess.

I use Mozilla for 99% of my browsing, reverting to IE only to access the
Microsoft web site and a few other web sites that implement Microsoft's
corrupted, proprietary and non-standard version of HTML, XML, Java, Perl and
whatever else is used to make web pages... Ben Myers

Old February 25th 04, 11:20 PM
j.lef

1. Download and use Mozilla 1.6 as your primary browser. Period. It does

not
get messed up. It has a built-in popup blocker.

Thanks Ben:
Just curious. How is mozilla different then Netscape. Mozilla makes
reference it uses the netscape network as well as powered by gecco just like
Netscape. Just curious.

Much regards Jerry

Old February 26th 04, 01:29 AM
Ben Myers

Mozilla is Netscape without whatever has been added to support specifics for
AOL. It's a curious relationship here. AOL, after buying up Netscape, made it
open source some time ago, and the open source community has embraced it as its
own. Somewhere along the way, AOL decided to take a certain build level of
Mozilla and integrate its special stuff. At least, that's the way I think the
relationship works. So AOL gets a lot of development work done for free by the
open source folks, and saves bucks overall for its AOL 9.0 and follow-ons. No
coincidence here, but the AOL software has become MUCH better behaved and less
likely to muck up your system. Way back, I absolutely dreaded selling a
computer to someone who intended to use AOL, because it often meant either a lot
of telephone tech support or simply taking back the computer to get it working
right again. I no longer have this dread. Yes, open source software
development does work, despite Microsoft's loud braying to evangelize against
it.

Mozilla is also very much multi-platform, running on all kinds of hardware and
operating systems... Ben Myers

Old February 26th 04, 02:31 PM
j.lef

AOL. It's a curious relationship here. AOL, after buying up Netscape,
made it
open source some time ago, and the open source community has embraced it

as

Thanks Ben as always for the history lesson. I remember when
the employees (before aol took them over) at Netscape, had some great perks.
One of which was they were allowed to bring their dogs to work with them,
and other such goodies. When aol was taking over they promised all the
existing work environments would remain unchanged. LOL That lasted about
two days after aol took over, and then practically released the whole staff
from what I heard.
Just a side note. My internet explorer as of today,
will not even open up anymore. Its gone so sour to get to that stage. I
tried various fixes, including your suggestions with no help. Would there be
any repurcussions to the rest of my operating system and programs, if I
delete explorer thru my control panel, add remove program, and then
reinstall explorer using my win xp disc? Will it let me do it? Could this
possible help the situation?
My spouse has a low tolerance for learning curves on
the computer.(Even though I do understand this is a small curve) She has
about four or five programs she uses, but uses them an awfull lot, being a
teacher. She is still using programs designed for win 3.1 as well as win
95.
So I would really like to get i.e. back up and working
for her.

Much regards as always Jerry