CPU and Motherboard Upgrade ?

Old August 7th 03, 08:20 AM
Edzo

Default CPU and Motherboard Upgrade ?

I intend to upgrade my PC with a new CPU and Motherboard. Asus board
and a Athlon Chip. Do I need to reinstall Windows XP (pro) or do I
need to re format my drive or to do both.

If I don't do the above, will Windows XP recognise the new CPU/MB?

My current system uses Duron 800 and Asus A7V.

Thanks...Ed

Old August 7th 03, 02:27 PM
Larc

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 17:20:34 +1000, Edzo pondered exceedingly, then took quill
in hand and carefully composed...

| I intend to upgrade my PC with a new CPU and Motherboard. Asus board
| and a Athlon Chip. Do I need to reinstall Windows XP (pro) or do I
| need to re format my drive or to do both.
|
| If I don't do the above, will Windows XP recognise the new CPU/MB?
|
| My current system uses Duron 800 and Asus A7V.

Do a Repair Install of XP before you try booting into Windows after the hardware
switchover. To do that, boot from the XP CD and proceed as if you're doing a
fresh install. After you hit F8 to agree to the EULA, hit R at the next screen
to start Repair Install. If it works, it will take as long as a regular
install, but will leave your programs and data and most of your settings in
place.

Unfortunately, the Repair Install route hasn't worked on the couple of occasions
I've tried it on major hardware upgrades. The whole process has simply stopped
at some point. So you should first save everything you need to keep and be
prepared for reformatting and doing a clean install.

Even if the Repair Install does work for you, it will be necessary to re-install
any updates subsequent to your copy of XP just as you would have to do if you
install clean. SP1 would need to be applied unless your XP CD already contains
it. Also, all applicable updates since SP1.

Good luck!

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§
Old August 7th 03, 07:11 PM
Ed Light

I replaced a kt133 motherboard with a Thunderbird with a kt400 with an
xp200+. You'd think XP would be in the pink, but I'm getting much better
results after a clean install.

--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/