Please read! Has anyone experienced this with dell???

Old December 12th 03, 04:19 AM
Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

Default Please read! Has anyone experienced this with dell???

Hello,

I am not going to bash dell like I did before, because I realize its not
going to get me a reply from you kind people who are more or less happy with
the company, and I may have over reacted in the past.

But I ordered a dell digital jukebox (15gb model) from dell nearly two weeks
ago (on December 1st).
I am wondering why the shipping information seems to hard to get.

I am in Canada, and dell is shipping the unit from Austin Texas. Last
Monday, the status of the item went from "in production" to "shipped", but
its THURSDAY now and there is still not waybill number available to me so I
can track it with purolator courier, which is who ships in Canada for Dell.

Tuesday night I called dell and this nice guy called Rick told me that the
item was on a TRUCK heading NORTH to the Canada/usa border, He assured me
that the item left the Austin Texas warehouse Tuesday at 6.22am, and once it
hit the Canada/usa border, it would be in the hands of purolator, and I
would get a waybill number...
He said this should be available to me late Tuesday night, perhaps
Wednesday, but it is Thursday, and I still do not have the info.

Can anyone please explain why it is taking so long for me to get my shipping
info? I am starting to worry that the item is lost or something, because I
want to be able to see where it is, so I can sort of get an idea for when I
need to be home to get the item... And this is really starting to get on my
nerves.

Thanks.
Steve

Old December 12th 03, 04:32 AM
Tom Swift

Are you enjoying your new computer?

Tom Swift

"Rod Hargis" wrote in message
I ordered my new computer on 11/25 and checked the status page on the web
every day and it never did update to give me a tracking number. I have

had
my new PC for a week now and the web page still list the status of my

order
as in shipping.

Rod

Old December 12th 03, 04:38 AM
Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

"Rod Hargis" wrote in message
I ordered my new computer on 11/25 and checked the status page on the web
every day and it never did update to give me a tracking number. I have

had
my new PC for a week now and the web page still list the status of my

order
as in shipping.

Rod

That's a shame, because I was able to get a truck number from the rep I
spoke with, but the truck number doesn't mean jack, because dell interlines
(does a portion of the shipping with another company) the shipment with a
private unnamed courier when in the states.

The Canadian rep I spoke to is in Mississauga (just outside of Toronto,
Ontario), and the warehouse where it ships from in Austin Texas, so I guess
it is just very bad communication between the dell people in Texas, the
trucks as they move the items, and the call center in Mississauga.

Kind of scares me to think what the service will be like if the hdd in the
unit dies or something, and I need to send it in for repair.

Old December 12th 03, 04:47 AM
KenJ

Steve, have you telephoned Dell for the order status? In many cases (at
least a dozen) in the past year, I have received my orders and the on-line
status said it was still in "production". In fact, I ordered a Latitude X200
on a Wednesday and received it the next day with free shipping. It was sent
from somewhere in the Chicago area and I'm in Wisconsin. A week later, the
on-line status said it was still in production.

In the US, they have an automated speech recognition system which accesses
your order. I have found this also to be slow, as many times I've called and
mumbled a few words it couldn't recognize. They then sent you to touchtone
system which gives you the same info. I then put in a false order number and
finally get a live person. In many cases, they have the info which is not in
Dell's system yet.

Good luck on your quest.

Ken J

Old December 12th 03, 05:03 AM
Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

"KenJ" wrote in message
Steve, have you telephoned Dell for the order status? In many cases (at
least a dozen) in the past year, I have received my orders and the on-line
status said it was still in "production". In fact, I ordered a Latitude

X200
on a Wednesday and received it the next day with free shipping. It was

sent
from somewhere in the Chicago area and I'm in Wisconsin. A week later, the
on-line status said it was still in production.

Yes, I wager that since I ordered it last Monday (the 1st of December), I
have been on the phone with them about five times, inquiring why the order
status does not change.

The status changed two times with my order.

First change: status changed from no status, to half way through production.
This change was made on Dec 02.
Second change: Status changed from halfway through production to "shipped".

I called Tuesday and asked, and was told that as soon as it hit the
Canada/usa border I would have a waybill, and would be able to track it
every step of the way to my door, but of course, no waybill number, and
trust me, it is not any more than a two day trip from Texas to the
Montana/Alberta (Canada) border.
I can tell you this because to drive from my city (Calgary) to San Diego
California is a 36 hour trip, and several hundred miles further than Austin
Texas to Calgary.

In Canada, you call 1-800-WWW-DELL for ordering, and another number for
order status, and there is no automated system, just a long wait to talk to
someone in eastern Canada, thousands of miles away from the dell warehouse
in Texas.

I have been told since Tuesday the 2nd:

-I will receive it in 7 business days
-I will receive it in 10 business days
-I will receive it in 14 business days
-It definitely ships ground only
-It definitely ships AIR only
-It is coming from Texas, and that is a 5 day drive to Canada.

Along with that, there was the last person I talked to, Rick, who actually
got me my status, which was refreshing. He was able to tell me that YES, it
had shipped, and had shipped Tuesday morning (although KALE, my original rep
told me it would ship by Friday) and was on its way.

I wish that there was more structure, and that the warehouse and head office
would communicate better with the Canadian reps, and that the Canadian reps
wouldn't spout so much crap to me.
As I mentioned, I ordered Monday and was told it would ship that Friday, and
that I would have it basically by today. Which was not true, and had I been
told the truth from the get go, I wouldn't be annoyed to hear that its not
going to get here until a week later that I was quoted.

Thanks for the replies btw. This is helpful, it helps me understand the
company more, which means I can deal with it easier as I wait more and more.

Steve

Old December 12th 03, 05:08 AM
Tom Swift

So, who cares about your tracking number? And don't worry about what it
means in the future if your hard drive stops working. I can almost guarantee
you that whoever is responsible for issuing tracking numbers is not the same
person who fixes hard drives. Hey, if you need extra things to worry about
I'll be glad to unload some of my problems on you. ;-

Tom Swift

"Rod Hargis" wrote in message
You bet, it replaced my old Dim 4100.

Rod

"Tom Swift" wrote in message
s.com...
Are you enjoying your new computer?

Tom Swift

snip

Old December 12th 03, 09:10 AM
Irene

We've had two similar experiences with that web site.
On one occasion, like you, we the PC up and running while the web site still
showed it in "pre-production".
Another time, the web site indicated the PC had been shipped. Repeated calls
to Dell said this was correct, however Dell Customer Service could not
providing us with any tracking information.
We received the supposedly shipped PC nearly two months after the date the
web site indicated.

My conclusion---place little or no credence into the information on that web
page.

Old December 12th 03, 11:34 AM
WSZsr

The hard drive is shipped from Dell's facility but the MP3 player is shipped
by a third party that Dell contracts with to warehouse and ship accessories.