A7N8X Deluxe UAY ... what does UAY mean?

Old July 29th 03, 07:43 PM
Harry Muscle

Default A7N8X Deluxe UAY ... what does UAY mean?

I've seen some stores list A7N8X Deluxe and some A7N8X Deluxe UAY. What
does the UAY stand for? Are these two different boards? What's the
difference?

Thanks,
Harry

Old July 29th 03, 08:22 PM
Ed

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 14:43:37 -0400, "Harry Muscle"
wrote:

I've seen some stores list A7N8X Deluxe and some A7N8X Deluxe UAY. What
does the UAY stand for? Are these two different boards? What's the
difference?

Thanks,
Harry

My guess would be the ones with the UAY are the newer Ultra 400 boards.
(ver. 2.xx) My non-dlx v2 is a A7N8X-UAY, and the part No. ends in
"-GOUAY".
Ed

Old July 29th 03, 09:46 PM
Robert Sudbury

A7N8X Deluxe-UAY is revision 2.0 and has the nForce2 chipset.
A7N8X Deluxe-UAYZ is revision 2.0 and has the newer nForce2 ULTRA400
chipset.

Though both chipsets officially support 400MHz FSB, the UAYZ version also
has some new features in the chipset, including UDMA from DOS without a
driver.

Since there isn't an nVidia DOS driver for UDMA (official word from Asus)
for the nForce2 chipset, the UAY sucks at DOS xfers (max 210MB/min with
DriveImage), but the UAYZ flies at 800+MB/min (at least with an ATA100
drive).

--
]Robert[

Old July 30th 03, 02:44 PM
Harry Muscle

"Robert Sudbury" wrote in message
.. .
A7N8X Deluxe-UAY is revision 2.0 and has the nForce2 chipset.
A7N8X Deluxe-UAYZ is revision 2.0 and has the newer nForce2 ULTRA400
chipset.

Though both chipsets officially support 400MHz FSB, the UAYZ version also
has some new features in the chipset, including UDMA from DOS without a
driver.

Since there isn't an nVidia DOS driver for UDMA (official word from Asus)
for the nForce2 chipset, the UAY sucks at DOS xfers (max 210MB/min with
DriveImage), but the UAYZ flies at 800+MB/min (at least with an ATA100
drive).

--
]Robert[

Thank you for your answer, but are you sure about the UAYZ? Every review
I've read so far mentions that all Rev. 2.0 boards come with the Ultra 400
chip, hence the reason why they jumped to revision 2.0 instead of 1.x. Also
after doing a search for UAYZ on google, it turned up nothing related to the
A7N8X board. It did however, turn up stuff related to the A7V8X board. Are
you maybe confusing those two boards?

Thanks,
Harry

Old July 30th 03, 06:31 PM
Thomas Andersson

Harry Muscle wrote:

Thank you for your answer, but are you sure about the UAYZ? Every
review I've read so far mentions that all Rev. 2.0 boards come with
the Ultra 400 chip, hence the reason why they jumped to revision 2.0
instead of 1.x. Also after doing a search for UAYZ on google, it
turned up nothing related to the A7N8X board. It did however, turn
up stuff related to the A7V8X board. Are you maybe confusing those
two boards?

My brand new rev2.0 A7N8X-Deluxe have the UAYZ part number. Still no clue
what it means or anything though.

Best Wishes
Thomas

Old July 31st 03, 12:48 AM
Robert Sudbury

No confusion. Both boards are A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 boards.

I purchased my revision 2.0 UAY within a couple of weeks of its release.

I purchased the UAYZ one month ago. The chipset was changed to nForce2
ULTRA400. The packaging also changed to display a bigass 400MHz FSB logo.

Old July 31st 03, 02:14 PM
FRiC

wrote:

I've seen some stores list A7N8X Deluxe and some A7N8X Deluxe UAY. What
does the UAY stand for? Are these two different boards? What's the
difference?

The codes after the board name stands for board features. I'm not sure
what UAY stands for exactly, but all current boards have this, so it
probably doesn't stand for anything. Or it could mean this board has
common features like USB+AGP+IDE...

Other common codes are LAN, GBLAN, 1394, PA (PCI audio), WOA (without
onboard audio), VM (video onboard), etc.