WiFi security issues? Newbie ? for W7

Old December 30th 10, 10:13 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
Big Steel[_2_]

Default What's a hardware firewall? was WiFi security issues? Newbie ? for W7

On Thu, 30 Dec 2010 10:00:17 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snipped your worthless babble not read

natural yawn

It's a natural see ya I wouldn't want to be ya.

Naturally, it's goodbye.

--
posted with a Droid
Old December 30th 10, 01:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
David Brown[_2_]

pyotr filipivich wrote:
David Brown on Tue, 21 Dec 2010
17:25:55 +0100 typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general the
following:
I prefer to be paranoid - I use a hardware firewall between windows
machines and the internet. But if that's not possible, then the
standard windows firewall, when properly configured (i.e., no
inappropriate exceptions), is good enough for short-term usage. It is
not perfect, but it is seldom the weakest link.

I've been on dialup since the dark ages, just now going to DSL. I
haven't worried to much about firewalls - I could unplug the phone
line. I have used AVG (and others) to augment the windows firewall
software. (I've too many friends in Redmond to feel really secure
trusting MS products - but that's another story.)

So what is the deal with a "hardware firewall"? What is it, how
does it work, is it difficult to setup? ("How high is up?") I'd
google all that, but I'm at home, away from the WiFi hotspot...

Its a software firewall in a dedicated box :-)

It also has to be running a suitable OS before it can be called a
"hardware firewall". That means either a dedicated embedded OS (vxworks
is popular for small hardware firewalls, and companies like Cisco have
their own), or a *nix OS (Linux, BSD, etc.).

You can put windows in its own box and enable network sharing, but that
won't make it a hardware firewall!

Old January 9th 11, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
pyotr filipivich

Sjouke Burry on Thu, 30 Dec 2010
03:18:01 +0100 typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general the
following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

thanks in advance.

pyotr

I have a Speedtouch ISP modem/router, with 4 outputs(no wireless).
If you ask your ISP for a router type, most come with a firewall.
Some call that a hardware firewall, but it is just software/linux
running in flash memory.
This device acts as a hardware firewall, without need to install
anything.

On occasion I have had up to 3 computers connected to the net.

In the browser I enter a site like 10.0.0.xxx, to comunicate with
the router, set options, and test the adsl connection.

The router only allows things to your computer which your computer
has requested.

That pretty much stops most attacks, but cannot stop malware which you
yourself install from sleazy websites.

That is where your AVG or others have to help you.

Okay, that helps.

Now if I could just get the modem to be initialised, I could move
on to the next problem.
--
pyotr filipivich
Just when you think you see the light at the end of the tunnel,
Old January 9th 11, 08:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
pyotr filipivich

The Natural Philosopher on Thu, 30 Dec 2010
09:18:29 +0000 typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general the
following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

And it works "automagically" B-)

thanks in advance.

pyotr

Old January 9th 11, 10:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

Cant help you there, mine came with an install CD from
my provider.
Old January 13th 11, 02:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup,alt.comp.anti-virus
pyotr filipivich

Sjouke Burry on Sun, 09 Jan 2011
23:36:35 +0100 typed in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general the
following:
pyotr filipivich wrote:
[...]

The modem was all setup - the problem seems to be that my ISP
decided that I really meant "February" when I said "January".
Old January 14th 11, 02:48 AM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup
unruh

Default WiFi security issues? Newbie ? for W7

On 2011-01-14, Kevin John Panzke wrote:
On Jan 13, 7:13?pm, Kevin John Panzke wrote:
On Dec 28 2010, 4:44?pm, Steel ""Fake99XX1199999fake\"@(Big)

(Steel)theXfactor.com" wrote:
On 12/28/2010 4:51 PM, Kevin John Panzke wrote:

snipped

Oh, and one other thing, I have a HTC Droid and not a Motorola.

ALL GOOGLE ANDROID DEVICES RUN LINUX NOT WINDOWS! JUST FYI! THREAD
CLOSED! TAKE A LOOK AT THE KERNEL THAT YOU ARE RUNNING ON THE 2.2.1
(FROYO) OR 3.2.1 (GINGERBREAD) PAGE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME! IT SHOULD
LOOK VERY SIMILAR 2 WHAT YOU SEE IN UBUNTU! JUST FYI! THREAD REMAINS
CLOSED!

P.S. YOU CAN UPGRADE 2 GINGER BREAD BY UNLOCKING YOUR PHONE AND THEN
DOWNLOADING THE BETA OF IT FROM http://www.theultimatedroid.com/ I ALL
READY INSTALLED IT ON MY MOTOROLA DROID!

Apparently your keyboard is able to type lower case letters. Please use
that feature. As it is people will simply ignore anything you say (which
may be the right thing to do, but presumably you do not want that)

Old January 15th 11, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup
Steel

On 1/13/2011 8:13 PM, Kevin John Panzke wrote:

snipped

yawn
Old January 15th 11, 05:18 PM posted to alt.comp.anti-virus,microsoft.public.windows.vista.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.setup
Steel

On 1/13/2011 8:20 PM, Kevin John Panzke wrote:

snipped

yawn