M-6850fx CPU Upgrade

Old July 18th 09, 12:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

Default M-6850fx CPU Upgrade

Currently, my notebook has an Intel Core2 Duo Mobile Processor T5550 running
at 1.83GHz and I would like to know if I can upgrade it to an Intel Core2
Duo Mobile Processor T8300 running at 2.4GHz.
Here are links to each processors' specs:

T5550 http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLA4E

T8300 http://processorfinder.intel.com/det...px?sSpec=SLAPA

I asked Gateway support about this, and they replied back:

"I am sorry to inform you that, Gateway is not supporting any hardware up
gradation or down gradation.
So I am not able to assist you in this issue.
I am sorry to inform you that, I could help only if you are in warranty.
I recommend you to contact "Answer by Gateway" support team.
ABG representatives have advanced industry knowledge of all major brands and
their merchandise so they are able to provide you with expertise when
answering questions about those products. Moreover, this is a fee based
support.
You may call (800) 229-1103 at a rate of $2.95 per minute (billed to a
credit card). However, calling cards are also available in 30 minute, 90
minute, or 1 Year unlimited usage."

Thanks for any thoughts you may have on this!

SC Tom

Old July 29th 09, 02:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

In case anyone is interested, I went ahead and bought and installed the
T8300. The difference is quite noticeable. My Vista performance rating went
from 4.5 to 5.1. Not too bad an increase. I noticed that quite a few
programs run faster and smoother, which is what I was hoping for.
The only downside is that HWMonitor doesn't read the temp right. Starting
cold, the core temps are anywhere from -3C (27F) to 2C (36F), which would be
impossible in a room at 78F and the OEM heatsink and fan. CoreTemp is closer
to what I would guess, but is still 10F or more off. Speed Fan- not a
chance. MBM won't even install on Vista (didn't really think it would, as
old as it is). Going by the ACPI temps (which I think are pretty close to
what the CPU temps are), it idles at 48C, which is 3 or 4 degrees C cooler
than the T5550 was. Running games like Painkiller, the max ACPI temp reached
is 85C, which is still 20C below max Tj. I would like to find a better
temperature monitoring program, though, that I could trust to be accurate.

SC Tom