Fan replacement on Gateway MT3422 laptop

Old May 27th 09, 12:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
mt3422duck

Default Fan replacement on Gateway MT3422 laptop

I bought a new MT3422 latop about a year and 9 months ago. I leave it
running 24x7 and in less than a year the fan was worn out. Gateway was
good about fixng it but now it's out of warranty so I need to do it
myself this time.

Anybody got a link to instructions on fan replacement? I just need to
figure out how to get the thing apart and remove the old fan.

Also, where's the best place to buy the fan?

Old May 28th 09, 11:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
William R. Walsh

Hi!

Anybody got a link to instructions on fan replacement? I just need to
figure out how to get the thing apart and remove the old fan.

With some care and precision tools, I think you could do it by carefully and
methodically disassembling the machine. Take notes to see what gets you
closer and what doesn't. Even if you can get service literature, you may
find that it is inaccurate. I have a Dell Latitude notebook that had a
rumbling fan. Neither Dell technicians nor the service manual showed
it--except for one unrelated illustration:

http://greyghost.mooo.com/d800fanrepair/

Also, where's the best place to buy the fan?

That's another problem entirely. The fans used in laptops are typically
special shapes, sizes and maybe even voltages. The maker of the fan probably
won't sell you one, and most electronic parts vendors won't have what you
need--unless it is by some amazing chance a standard fan. If you could get
to the right people at Gateway, they *might* help you, but I have no idea
how you'd accomplish that.

What you can do is oil the fan. Frequently, this will help. And while you're
in there, blow the dust out of the little radiators--they do plug up!

William