Beware of Radio Shack

Old December 29th 04, 05:09 AM
Davoud

Mr. Uh Clem:

Watch out for these posts.

How do I do that -- climb a tree, hide in the bushes? And what do I do
if I detect one?

They are part of an attack
on the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup by an entity
known as "hipcrime". (google for it.)

Who gives a rat's kneecaps?

Forged posts are made to various groups with the followup-to:
header set to news.admin.net-abuse.email. NANAE is being
bombarded directly and indirectly by the "WTF!", "I didn't
post that!", etc. responses. If you want to post a warning
to a group or groups, make sure you reset the headers
appropriately, or you will be aiding hipcrime in the DOS.

Aren't such posts kind of their own warning? Why would I want to call
further attention to them as you have done? Or do you love this sort of
thing because it makes you feel like a great public servant? Are you
in fact the perp, like a fireman-arsonist?

Davoud

--
usenet *at* davidillig dawt com
Old December 30th 04, 02:35 AM
Mr. Uh Clem

Davoud wrote:
Mr. Uh Clem:

Watch out for these posts.

How do I do that -- climb a tree, hide in the bushes? And what do I do
if I detect one?

1. Ignore them.
2. Be aware of what is going on so as to post a denial/warning in your
groups as noted below.

They are part of an attack
on the news.admin.net-abuse.email newsgroup by an entity
known as "hipcrime". (google for it.)

Who gives a rat's kneecaps?

Good netizens. People who are interested in getting this
to stop.

Forged posts are made to various groups with the followup-to:
header set to news.admin.net-abuse.email. NANAE is being
bombarded directly and indirectly by the "WTF!", "I didn't
post that!", etc. responses. If you want to post a warning
to a group or groups, make sure you reset the headers
appropriately, or you will be aiding hipcrime in the DOS.

Aren't such posts kind of their own warning?

Obviously not. The posts are a trap, they confuse people.
They annoy people. They trick people into making posts
such as "This was not sent by me.... I don't know how this
happened... I have no idea what gives" which have been
raining in on NANAE by the thousands. Tricked respondents
are then further confused when their posts disappear. The
volume and variety of responses implies that the splorgeries
have been posted all over the place, to the detriment of all.

Why would I want to call
further attention to them as you have done?

Posts on NANAE would be pointless and would stoke the ego of
the perp. Posts in other groups serve to inoculate the
groups against the attacks. People will know what is going
on and the attack will lose its power.

Or do you love this sort of
thing because it makes you feel like a great public servant?

I want to blunt the attacks. Your remark is uncalled for.

Are you in fact the perp, like a fireman-arsonist?

Davoud

No. Are you in fact an asshole?

If you need the obvious spelled out to you further,
someone else will have to do it. I'm outta this
thread.

-- This was not sent by me.... I don't know how this happened... I have
no idea
what gives
Clem
"If you push something hard enough, it will fall over."
- Fudd's first law of opposition
Old December 30th 04, 05:22 AM

Davoud wrote:
[...]

Dude, the guys at NANAE are the good guys. They're sysadmins working
against spam. NANAE is a clearinghouse for up to date information
regarding the lastest sources of spam. hipcrime is trying to lower the
signal to noise ratio and make NANAE less effective through the
mechanisms Mr. Uh Clem wrote.

Don't be an dick.

'cid 'ooh