FTP - One-Click

Old December 27th 06, 12:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

Default FTP - One-Click

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 03:34:44 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

isn't that the ftp client though? what about an ftp server?

It is, but I read into what Bob was saying that he needed a client--in
spite of him saying "server."

I need a two-side solution. For example, imagine that I want to send
you a large file right now and I have your IP adress. How would you
recommend I do that when we don't know one another and I do not want
to teach you how to set anything up other than a "one-click" transfer
utility?

Setting up an FTP server is incredibly
easy, and once you've done so it's trivial to start it with "one click."
Also, I interpreted "send files" as uploading.

It is "incredibly easy" alright - if you know what you are doing. I
do, you do and so do some others know what they are doing - but most
people do not know what they are doing, so they need a true one-click
solution.

Bob, I'm sorry if I've missed it in the thread, but do you need to put
up files for download, or upload files to other people's servers?

I am trying to emulate the situation you have with the messenger
services where you can send someone a large file with one click (well,
maybe two).

If it's the latter, I think my suggestions can help. If it's the former,
I'm astounded that you find your existing software too complicated.

LOL. Don't be astounded - I am not the one who is intimidated by
applications.

--

"You can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him."
--Robert A. Heinlein
Old December 27th 06, 12:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:25:09 -0500, kony wrote:

If it's only occasional, put shortcuts to the path in a
folder to open up a window for it and just copy & paste the
file.

For example,

ftp://user

That's useful but it requires that the recipient have a server
installed.

That's useful but it requires that the recipient have Yahoo messenger
installed.

If I wanted to send you a large file and I knew your IP address, then
how would I do it quickly? Assume you are a typical user who has no
servers running (or even more typical, your ISP blocks low number
incoming ports so you have to configure the transfer to a high number
port).

My son found this utility which we have not had the chance to try out:

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/ssft/

It's apparently not official FTP but I don't care as long as it is
easy for anyone to use. However it does require poking a hole in NAT,
and most people do not know how to do that.

It is beginning to look like the best way to send a large file is with
one of the messenger utilities. At least they are easy to set up and
do not require poking holes in NAT.

Old December 27th 06, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:53:38 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

Windows 2000 comes with a command-line version of FTP, which you can use
to execute scripts. Setup up your script, figure out the command line
to have FTP execute that script, then setup a short cut with that
command line -- that would make a file upload "one double-click."

See my other posting in this thread for an article from MS that
discusses how to do what I've suggested.

Will it act as an FTP server?

Old December 27th 06, 06:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Citizen Bob wrote:
I need a two-side solution. For example, imagine that I want to send
you a large file right now and I have your IP adress. How would you
recommend I do that when we don't know one another and I do not want
to teach you how to set anything up other than a "one-click" transfer
utility?

With this elaboration, then I guess it would be reasonable to setup an
FTP server at your location, and send the person a script file that will
login to your server and downloads (or uploads) the file of interest.
That pretty much puts all of the complications on your side.

I am trying to emulate the situation you have with the messenger
services where you can send someone a large file with one click (well,
maybe two).

You've already ruled messenger out, put it's worth mentioning a caveat
about MSN messenger. For large file transfers it is incredibly slow if
one of you is behind a router and you have not properly configured port
forwarding.
Old December 27th 06, 06:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

Citizen Bob wrote:
[...]

I mentioned this already, but this assumption may not be true. I don't
know about Yahoo and AOL, but MSN messenger is unworkable for large file
transfers unless you setup port forwarding.
Old December 27th 06, 08:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 12:23:36 GMT, (Citizen Bob)
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 19:25:09 -0500, kony wrote:

If it's only occasional, put shortcuts to the path in a
folder to open up a window for it and just copy & paste the
file.

For example,

ftp://user

That's useful but it requires that the recipient have a server
installed.

No, that's only the sender's link, only for you to upload to
a server under your control, could even be on your present
system. You provide the recipient with a simple link... and
sometimes an HTTP link is more compatible for windows users
than FTP, so the link they'd use to get the file could look
similar to anything you'd find on a webpage, like,
http://IP#/path/file.zip

You don't have to care what their system has set as the
default handler for this, if they can download anything at
all and you have provided a typographically correct link,
they can get it without you caring or explaining anything.
For example,

"Hey Bob, here's that router picture you wanted:
http://69.36.189.159:80/usr_1034/WHR.../bobisnuts.jpg "

However I uploaded it, doesn't matter to the recipient, they
only need a link to it using a protocol their system
supports.

That's useful but it requires that the recipient have Yahoo messenger
installed.

No, as with the above bobisnuts example, the recipient's
system will have a default handler for HTTP already if it
had remotely modern internet capabilities at all.

If I wanted to send you a large file and I knew your IP address, then
how would I do it quickly?

P2P. Software installed at both ends, more of a hassle than
it's worth for occasional use and requires a heck of a lot
more than 2 clicks per side, including easing of security,
routing issues, troubleshooting if the recipient (or sender)
didn't have it set up right.

Assume you are a typical user who has no
servers running (or even more typical, your ISP blocks low number
incoming ports so you have to configure the transfer to a high number
port).

That doesn't really change anything of consequence,
bobisnuts:
http://69.36.189.159:80/usr_1034/WHR.../bobisnuts.jpg

http://IP#ort#/path/file.zip

Pick a port, that your ISP doesn't block and there you
are... put it in the link and send link to recipient.

My son found this utility which we have not had the chance to try out:

http://www.whitsoftdev.com/ssft/

It's apparently not official FTP but I don't care as long as it is
easy for anyone to use. However it does require poking a hole in NAT,
and most people do not know how to do that.

It may also require reconfiguring Windows Firewall, and
could be fighting against Windows Vista, considered
Trojan-like by antivirus scanners not aware of it. That
doesn't necessarily make it unworkable but only you can
assess the capabilities of the recipient. IMO, if you can
get them to do it with a web browser, so much the better as
even devices like some mobile *phones* may be able to get
the file then.

It is beginning to look like the best way to send a large file is with
one of the messenger utilities. At least they are easy to set up and
do not require poking holes in NAT.

They won't? First if you have a box sitting directly on the
internet running windows messenger, you may be quite quickly
bombared by messenger spam. Second, unless you are sending
and receiving on the box doing the NAT, yes there has to be
a "hole". Remember that what appears to work for you might
not always work for others. Maybe that doesn't matter, if
your recipient can get the file... or maybe they can't.
Old December 27th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

kony wrote:
snip
"Hey Bob, here's that router picture you wanted:
http://69.36.189.159:80/usr_1034/WHR.../bobisnuts.jpg "

However I uploaded it, doesn't matter to the recipient, they
only need a link to it using a protocol their system
supports.

snip

but person running the server, to make his server reasonably secure,
would want to restrict all ips except the wanted client ips.

that requires asking the tcp/ip client "user" for his ip , which may
not be a static ip. So, asking him each time

should the person at the server end configure his software firewall,
his server, and his router firewall? or only his windows firewall?

given a thought about using that system, it's less hassle for both
parties if they use an instant messenger program.

Old December 28th 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Citizen Bob

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 15:03:16 -0500, kony wrote:

"Hey Bob, here's that router picture you wanted:
http://69.36.189.159:80/usr_1034/WHR.../bobisnuts.jpg "

Thanks for the little ad hom embedded in the above.

It speaks volumes about what kind of person you really are.