SATA II Harddisks ?

Old July 4th 05, 02:23 AM
kony

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 18:11:33 -0600, "Mark A"
wrote:

Why would a store sell defective merchandise that is still under warranty by
the manufacturer to another customer?

Because any kind of "use", that-is, anything that
disqualifies it from being "new" still, doesn't necessarily
make it returnable to the manufacturer.

Suppose someone orders a board, seller ships wrong board and
buyer opens it, or one of myriad other reasons, returns the
board but it's not defective. Seller then has to recoup
that loss though charging a return fee, then selling it as
used, or with disreputible sellers, they may charge a return
fee AND resell it as new. Or, some don't seem to think they
have to have to sell something that is new unless it is
specifically advertised as "new". They, unlike most
sellers, may think they can just sell anything at all and if
the customer doesn't like it- who cares, THEY have the
customer's money and at worst they will just put the
customer though hell trying to get a refund.

Eventually the BBB and other online ratings 'sites show they
have a bad reputation- but no matter, they just change
company name and repeat same practices.

Do you think that retailers are in the
business of screwing their customers for no reason?

Profit is their reason. It's all about $. They can't
compete with big/mature businesses in service or their
volume purchases price-per-unit, so they cut every corner
than can (legally and sometimes illegally).

Yes some do unquestionably screw customers. Example- buy
junk PC1600 memory. Slap a fradulent "PC3200" sticker on it
and sell it as "PC3200". Seller buys it, claims it has
errors, but their website says "products returned that test
good have restocking fee". They claim it tested good.

I had it happen to me once exactly like this, but I had
looked up the specs for the chips and they were not spec'd
to run that fast- it was technically impossible for it to be
PC3200 memory. Even so, even after clearly informing the
seller, I had to get the credit card company involved to
dispute it.

Retailers (and
customers) can send defective merchandise back to the manufacturer for a
replacement. Internet retailers are especially sensitive to word of mouth
concerning their reputation.

That only covers manufacturer defect- most boards are not
defective, rather damaged by seller, shipper, user, or
simply not set up properly. Also, suppose seller did not
purchase directly from the manufacturer but rather a
distributor. It could take so long to get boards back that
by that time the board (technology) has depreciated, the
seller still takes a loss.

BTW, Asus motherboards do not come in sealed packaging (neither the retail
packaging nor the anti-static bag is sealed). I am sure this will upset you
greatly, so maybe you should purchase a different brand.

For Asus motherboards, unless the retailer will test the motherboard
themselves (no longer new?) then they cannot tell what the bios is.

What about the sticker on the EEPROM?

Old July 4th 05, 02:41 AM
Mark A

"kony" wrote in message

[...]

So you expect the retailer to open the box and check the EEPROM? Wouldn't
that make it used if they opened the box? I don't know whether Asus puts a
sticker on their motherboards with the bios version and I am not going to
open my PC to find out.

Monarch Computer is one retailer that will perform the bios upgrade service
for customers who buy the mb and CPU from them. If you don't want that
service, don't get it. Just get the MB and the X2 CPU, boot up the system
and look at the black screen. That will make you very happy to know that all
your components are brand new, even if they don't work.

What a bunch of paranoid idiots.

Old July 4th 05, 03:22 AM
Eric Gisin

"Ron Reaugh" wrote in message

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message

The alt.comp trolls are a funny bunch. Tell us your diagnosis, Doctor.

Confine your posts to the business of this NG.

Jawohl, mein Führer!

Old July 4th 05, 04:30 AM
kony

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 19:41:02 -0600, "Mark A"
wrote:

What about the sticker on the EEPROM?

So you expect the retailer to open the box and check the EEPROM?

Never said I did, but it IS a way they can confirm the bios
version, whether the customer asks or not.

Wouldn't
that make it used if they opened the box?

No, unless you think they "used" it to do so.
Since there is no reason for them to be doing this EEPROM
check without a customer specifically asking, I would
suggest that if a prospective customer doesn't want it
opened to check on this, then they simply shouldn't ask the
seller to check. If I bought a board that had been opened
for this check, and I knew factually that this was all they
did, I would not care... I cannot speak for anyone else.

I don't know whether Asus puts a
sticker on their motherboards with the bios version and I am not going to
open my PC to find out.

Huh? It won't bite you.
I only mentioned it because I'd noticed it over and over
again, there is a sticker on the EEPROM. Take the info for
whatever it is worth, or don't.

Monarch Computer is one retailer that will perform the bios upgrade service
for customers who buy the mb and CPU from them. If you don't want that
service, don't get it. Just get the MB and the X2 CPU, boot up the system
and look at the black screen. That will make you very happy to know that all
your components are brand new, even if they don't work.

So you would find it acceptible for a company to open it,
set it up, flash the bios- all for a fee, but it is
problematic if they open it to just read a sticker?

That seems backwards to me.
Old July 4th 05, 04:50 AM
Mark A

"kony" wrote in message

So you would find it acceptible for a company to open it,
set it up, flash the bios- all for a fee, but it is
problematic if they open it to just read a sticker?

That seems backwards to me.

Monarch doesn't charge a fee if you purchase the MB and CPU from them.

It's not a problem for me, but high volume retailers who ship from separate
(and sometimes multiple) warehouses will not check the EPROM sticker for you
(even if one exists).

I doubt that the bios he needs for the X2 dual core is available on a stock
motherboard yet, and will not be available for awhile.

If someone has a old CPU they can use to boot the MB and flash the bios to
support the X2, that is fine. Otherwise I would find a reputable retailer
who will do it for you.

Old July 4th 05, 05:33 AM
kony

On Sun, 3 Jul 2005 21:50:05 -0600, "Mark A"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .

So you would find it acceptible for a company to open it,
set it up, flash the bios- all for a fee, but it is
problematic if they open it to just read a sticker?

That seems backwards to me.

Monarch doesn't charge a fee if you purchase the MB and CPU from them.

Ahh, that is very reasonable of them, and useful to know.

It's not a problem for me, but high volume retailers who ship from separate
(and sometimes multiple) warehouses will not check the EPROM sticker for you
(even if one exists).

I agree, it's not always possible to find out anything,
though it never hurts to ask.

I doubt that the bios he needs for the X2 dual core is available on a stock
motherboard yet, and will not be available for awhile.

If someone has a old CPU they can use to boot the MB and flash the bios to
support the X2, that is fine. Otherwise I would find a reputable retailer
who will do it for you.

That is a convincing argument. They seem to have a good
resellerratings.com, rating, too.

Old July 4th 05, 10:34 AM
Steven de Mena

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

"Mark A" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

It also has 4 sata connectors so I guess that is at least room for 6
harddrives ?

Each IDE connector can handle 2 drives (master and slave).

I am not sure if the sata raid connectors can be used as normal sata
connectors ?

They are not RAID connectors, the are SATA connectors. RAID is a
configuration, not a drive connection type.

What if I dont want to use raid ?

No problem.

One last question about this board...

What is the default bios version ? I would like to buy/use this board

with
athlon x2 processor... I dont have any other processors... so flashing

the
bios is not an option for me

If you want the X2 you need to purchase the board and CPU from a reatiler
that will flash the bios with the lastest version or you will be dead in

the
water.Moarch Computer is one vendor who will do this if you ask them to.
http://www.monarchcomputer.com

Hmm I was thinking about buying all parts seperatly so that I can check if
all parts are new etc... by looking if all packages are closed etc. In
other
words I dont want anybody else to mess with my new stuff

Judhging from your posts I think you SHOULD have someone else build your PC.

How long before asus ships a new motherboard that supports athlon x2
processors out of the box... that's what I am wondering about =D

Just make sure wherever you get your motherboard from that you specify it
have the BIOS that supports X2.

Steve

Old July 4th 05, 11:46 AM
Skybuck Flying

"Mark A" wrote in message
[...]

Neh... all my computers so far where build by others...

This time I want to build it myself because that's part of all the fun =D

But I want to build it with new well working components =D

I will definetly stay far away from over clocking... why anybody would want
to risk destroying their 3000 to 4000 dollar costing pc is beyond me

I wonder how many damaged motherboards have been returned by overclocking
bull****

Well I will have none of those dude...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old July 4th 05, 02:48 PM
Mark A

"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

I wonder how many damaged motherboards have been returned by overclocking
bull****

Well I will have none of those dude...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Not as many as are returned by first time PC builders who don't know how
build a PC.

Old July 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Skybuck Flying

"Mark A" wrote in message
"Skybuck Flying" wrote in message

I wonder how many damaged motherboards have been returned by

overclocking
bull****

Well I will have none of those dude...

Bye,
Skybuck.

Not as many as are returned by first time PC builders who don't know how
build a PC.

Well rest assured... my gigabyte dual bios bull**** motherboard once died.

I then bough an asus P3V4x and build it in myself

After the sb live was not working I literally unscrewed every screw I could
find including the chase and I literally re-build my pc, inch by inch, screw
by screw

The salesmen even told me a story about newbies shortcircuiting their
motherboard because they attached it to their case and the metal at the back
touched it and short circuited it

So I have some experience building a pc.

But rest assured again... before I build my pc I will ask a couple of
newsgroup about advice and questions and if I forgot anything =D

So I am faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from done =D

(Besides I have promised to myself that before investing lot's of money in
my new pc I am first going to invest in my own health by requesting and if
necessary paying for an MRI scan and stuff like that =D otherwise no new pc
! )

Bye,
Skybuck =D