No-POST on A7N8X/XP-M 2600

Old December 30th 04, 01:10 PM
Liam the Llama

Default No-POST on A7N8X/XP-M 2600

I have just built a system with:
A7N8X-E mobo
XP-M 2600 CPU
512MB Corsair Platinum PC3200 memory
All in a Antec Sonata case with a 380W PSU.

Initially it worked fine with the default BIOS settings. It configured
itself to 133MHz FSB with a CPU multiplier of 14 (= 1860GHz) and the
memory set itself to CL2 - which it is supposed to support - all fine.
The CPU ran really cool at 42 degrees.
My eventual intention was always to overclock it. But I thought I
would take things easy so I first made settings which were actually
_underclocked_ at least in CPU speed terms. I set it to 166MHz with a
multiplier of 10 (= 1660GHz). Unforunately, being an idiot, I didn't
leave it there or at least try it with just those changes. In the BIOS
settings page I noticed that those settings moved the memory down to
CL3, so I changed that manually too, back to CL2.

Now the machine seems badly busted. (I have tried resetting the BIOS
memory but it makes no difference.) It does not appear even to start
the POST. When I press the switch, the CD-ROM and HDD lights go on
briefly, but I think that is just the hardware reset. And nothing else
at all happens. No attempt to boot from floppy (which has a bootable
disk in it) or from hard disk. The graphics card (a PCI one) does not
"start up" - the monitor remains completely blank. No voice message
comes out - I removed the memory in an attempt to provoke it - but
nada.

I don't know what to do! I am resigned to the fact that I have broken
something - but I don't know what! Mobo, CPU, Memory, something else?
I don't have any spare hardware to swap in to isolate the problem.

Can anyone help? Please?

TIA

Liam
Old December 30th 04, 01:18 PM
dino

unplug the powercord...and move the"Clear CMOS" jumper to the clear position
and back...refer to the manual

Old December 31st 04, 12:23 AM
{SFU}Xeon

Hmmm, I'm gonna take a guess and say if it was working fine before you tried
OC'ing it, and now it wont even post so you can go into the bios, you
probably fried something. Have you tried a different CPU & memory chips in
that mobo? Or, that CPU & memory in another mobo? That would be my next
course of action.....
I have an A7N8X mobo with an XP2500 and 1ghz of pc3200 ram, and an ATI
Radeon 9800 pro. and have read repeatedly how I can get my 2500 up to
2.3-2.8 ghz however, every time I tried to OC it, it either failed POST, or
ran into problems in operation then I thought, ****, it's fast enough, I've
bought the best of everything, and, why bother getting a little bit more out
of it, the recognition of insignificant speed increases isn't worth having
to replace parts that die prematurely? I am interested to see what it was,
keep us informed

Xeon

om...

Old December 31st 04, 04:32 AM
dino

try unplugging all hd's...cd's and power up puter...have seen that before
too..on my own system. After I did that everything powered up fine. Am just
reaching here

Old December 31st 04, 11:06 AM
Liam The Llama

"dino" wrote in message
. ..
try unplugging all hd's...cd's and power up puter...have seen that before
too..on my own system. After I did that everything powered up fine. Am

just
reaching here

Thanks, that sounds like it's worth trying. Is it worth disconnecting things
like USB, FireWire, Audio - even the keyboard - as well?

TIA

Liam

Old December 31st 04, 02:44 PM
dino

have no periphs connected...just try and start with the RAM..VID.and CPU....